Tell Pennsylvania Representatives that Anglers Oppose House Bill 1576

Dear Board,

Honestly, is there anyone with an IQ higher than room temperature who didn't see things like this coming when Corbett was elected?

If you can say you're surprised by an idea like this you might want to reconsider your voting patterns and habits.

This is nothing more than a return to those thrilling days of yesteryear brought to you by the PA Republican party who's motto is, or more accurately should be, "Back to the Future."

You voted for him so now it's time to reap the benefits.

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

My Rep. Steve McCarter, responded to my email with a letter
assuring me he will oppose this bill vehemently and encourages
everyone to contact their Reps and voice their concerns about
this obvious power takeover by big business.

My representative, Kerry Benninghoff, also replied saying he intends to vote against the bill.

By the way, I sent my message using the tool provided by Trout Unlimited. They have done a good job of getting the word out on this issue and making it easy for people to email their Reps.

I am glad your representatives were so nice, here is the response from mine:

Good afternoon Derek,

I received your e-mail expressing your views on House Bill 1576, known as the Endangered Species Coordination Act, and its companion legislation Senate Bill 1047. I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts with me, and I certainly understand your views regarding this very important issue.

According to House Game and Fisheries Committee staff, House Bill 1576 and its companion legislation seek to standardize the state process for designating species of wildlife, fish (which includes reptiles and amphibians) and plants as threatened or endangered, as well as the designation of waters as Wild Trout Streams by requiring all state agencies that promulgate such regulations to have those regulations reviewed by the Commonwealth’s Independent Regulatory Review Commission (IRRC). The bill would provide for coordination of the agencies and grant more transparent access to information so project planners can maximize conservation efforts for their permitted activities, which can be greatly affected by these designations.

It is the responsibility of the PA Game Commission (PGC) to designate wildlife as threatened or endangered; the responsibility of the PA Fish & Boat Commission (PFBC) to designate fish and list waters as wild trout streams; and the responsibility of the PA Department of Conservation and Natural Resources (DCNR) to designate plants. DCNR is currently required to have their regulations reviewed by IRRC. Waterway designations of the PA Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) must go through IRRC as well. In fact, the PGC and PFBC are the only two state agencies that are currently exempt from the IRRC process. It is important to note that normal game species management regulations such as hunting and fishing seasons, and their respective bag or creel limits, would continue to be exempt from IRRC review, and are not included in the requirements of this proposed legislation.

The bill does not seek to strip or hamper the agencies’ ability or authority to promulgate such regulations or force agencies to spend additional money, so it will not jeopardize any federal funding. It would simply require that those regulations related to T&E species and trout stream designations promulgated by the agencies be reviewed by IRRC for form, accuracy and compliance with Commonwealth’s law before they receive final approval, just like the designations of DCNR and DEP. The bill also requires that the supporting reasoning and data for the regulation be shared with IRRC and the standing legislative committees. Contrary to what some organizations are claiming, the bill does not limit the agencies to listing only species that are federally listed. Under the bill language, an agency may designate a species as threatened or endangered if it is listed federally, or the agency may promulgate a regulation to designate a species not on the federal list so long as they follow the described process.

There have also been concerns raised by the PGC and PFBC that the IRRC process takes up to two years to complete, and that requiring designations to be reviewed by IRRC could endanger species in emergency situations. IRRC is statutorily required to review and if necessary respond to regulations within 30 days of the end of a public comment period, which is normally 30 days as well. So in essence, the IRRC process itself generally takes between 30 and 60 days. The reality is that most delays in approving regulations arise from delays within the agency promulgating the regulation before it gets to IRRC, or are the result of problems with the regulation that IRRC or the standing committees may ask an agency to address. In addition, there is also an avenue for temporary emergency regulations to be put in place while IRRC is reviewing a proposed regulation.

The independent review provided by IRRC is in place to provide accountability, transparency and accuracy in the promulgation of state agency regulations. A state agency should not be exempt from, or opposed to being included in, this accountability process while all others are subject to it, especially for something as important as the protection of T&E species and waterways. If the IRRC system is not an impediment to the waterway designations of DEP or the designation of plants by DCNR, it should therefore not be an impediment the designations of the PGC and the PFBC.

The legislation also requires DCNR to maintain a centralized database containing information on the Commonwealth’s threatened and endangered species and their habitats. This information will be available only to a limited class of persons or organizations that are involved in state or federal permitting for projects that could be affected by the designations of threatened or endangered species and wild trout stream designations, or those involved in conservation planning or resource management as determined by DCNR. Since this is sensitive information pertaining to vulnerable species that may also be valuable on the black market, the legislation contains a provision to provide that such information may only be used for things such as conservation, development planning, natural resource management or compliance with laws and regulations for the protection of species listed, as well as a penalty for misuse of such information.

It may interest you to know that the House Game and Fisheries Committee recently held two joint public hearings on House Bill 1576 in conjunction with the House Environmental and Energy Resources Committee to gain a better understanding of the bill and its effects, and the various methods currently used by the agencies to make their designations. Lawmakers heard testimony from a broad and diverse range of stakeholder groups including the PGC, PFBC, DCNR, the PA Builders Association, Trout Unlimited of PA, Sierra Club PA Chapter, the PA Aggregates and Concrete Association, the PA Anthracite Council, the PA Coal Alliance, the PA Federation of Sportsmen’s Clubs, and Penn Future. DEP, IRRC, the PA Chamber of Business and Industry, the PA Biological Survey and a myriad of other organizations have submitted comments to the committee on the legislation.

Lawmakers have for years have heard concerns and frustrations from business and industry, as well as local government planners and conservation project planners about the cumbersome, non-transparent, and time-consuming nature of the review process for environmental permitting. The system has its flaws and is not perfect, and legislation such as House Bill 1576 could serve to improve that system and help provide better protection for threatened and endangered species while creating a proper balance between economic growth and environmental protection. That is the ultimate goal of the legislation.

Please remember this legislation is merely a starting point, with the input of legislators and the various stakeholder groups, including hunters, conservationists and business interests determining the final version to be considered. In that regard, House Bill 1576 was brought up for consideration by the House Game and Fisheries Committee on November 13, and an amendment addressing the concerns raised through the public hearings was adopted unanimously. The comprehensive amendment included the following improvements to the bill:

Removed the bill’s requirement for agencies to re-designate all currently listed species within a two-year time frame.
Expands the proposed centralized database to include “other designated species” that are of special concern or rare species other than threatened or endangered species.
Ensures access to information in the database is made available only to authorized persons and increases the civil penalties for unlawful use of sensitive database information.
Prohibits the transfer of hunting or fishing license dollars or related federal funds for implementation of the act to further ensure there is no loss of federal funds to the Game and Fish agencies as a result of the change.
Places the requirement to do field surveys for accessing the presence of species on the permit applicant affecting the land and specifies that if field surveys are required, the state agency with authority for the protection of the species must within 30 days of receiving the survey results provide either clearance for the project, or detailed avoidance measures, detailed minimization measures or detailed mitigation measures to the permit applicant.
Clarifies that the Fish and Boat Commission and Game Commission’s requirement to adhere to independent regulatory review is limited to designations of threatened or endangered species and trout streams only, so that regulatory actions like hunting seasons and bag limits or fishing seasons and creel limits are not subjected to regulatory review.

Derek, the bill was subsequently approved by the committee on a vote of 16-8, and now moves to the full House for its consideration. I am confident the House Game and Fisheries Committee has fully explored the issue, but there will likely be consideration of additional amendments to the bill when it comes up for a vote. When that happens, I will certainly keep your views in mind when casting my vote.

Again, thank you for taking the time to contact me. If you have further questions concerning any state-related matter, please feel free to contact my office.

Sincerely,

Steven C. Mentzer

State Representative
97th Legislative District

What a wanker

He's a wanker? Looks like he took some time to respond to you thoughtfully. Even though he disagrees with you, he at least gave you his time. Why don't you respond back with a point by point rebuttal? I'd be interested in reading it, at least.

I received the exact same thing. How long does it take to have a secretary forward a form letter ? All it says is that another agency will be overseeing and helping streamline a process already in place. Supposedly it won't remove any ability for PFBC to protect endangered species. The letter DOESN"T say whether the rep will or will not support the bill. It only says he'll remember my position on the matter. I'm going to try to find out what my rep's position is.

Oh okay. So it's the auto response to the TU letter LOL!

It's not just TU that is opposing this bill. There are many other conservation groups opposing it.

Don't know if this was already posted, but here is Pyle's blurb from the state website:
House Co-Sponsorship Memoranda
By Member | By Date | Keyword Search

MEMORANDUM
Posted: June 12, 2013 01:57 PM
To: All House members
Subject: Endangered Species Coordination Act

In the near future, I plan on introducing the Endangered Species Coordination Act to establish a uniform and transparent process for evaluating; designating and protecting threatened and endangered species and their critical habitats in the Commonwealth.

The legislation has four main elements: 1) standardizes a state process for listing of threatened or endangered species by formalizing existing resource agency authority via rulemaking; 2) consolidates the listings into a centralized database managed by the Department of Conservation and Natural Resources; 3) grants access to information in the database to planners required to consider the impacts that a project could have or to those involved in conservationist efforts; and 4) protects sensitive data by prohibiting the disclosure of the information to anyone not involved in a development or conservation project.

Another benefit of this legislation is that it places the decisions of the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission and Pennsylvania Game Commission under the review of Independent Regulatory Review Commission. As Pennsylvania’s last two remaining extra-governmental promulgated rule making bodies, the right of our concerned citizens to exercise due process in appealing a decision would, for the first time, have a forum to do so with the IRRC. The legislation does not, however, address or direct any establishment of seasons, bag limits, et al.

Should you have any questions, please contact Erica Godsey at (717) 783-5327 or at egodsey@pahousegop.com.

Thank you for your consideration.

I know. I don't mean to sound cynical. I did sign the letter from the TU page. I didn't realize this was a mass generated response from this representative (I personally got nothing back from mine), but instead of calling the guy a wanker or whatever, I'd rather hear rebuttals of his points. I'm very slow to jump on board any "activist" movement, because quite frankly, many of them seem gut-reactionary grounded in fear more than fact. The unity of the sporting community alone on this one is enough for me to consider this worthy of fighting against, but I'm sure I'm not the only one out there who is cynical of online political activism. So I'm serious when I say I'd truly like to see a point by point, well thought out response to some of the statements made by this representative.

the form letter is interesting; the form letter says: "The bill would provide for coordination of the agencies and grant more transparent access to information". What's not transparent about the process to designate a wild trout stream?

1) the stream is surveyed, 2) the fish are there or not, 3) if they are, the decision is made and posted for public comment, 4) the decision is voted on at next PAFBC meeting.

Sorry, but I don't see the dark specter of any anti business bias lurking in that process. If there is more to the process than that, please, someone enlighten me.

The bill also says that " The reality is that most delays in approving regulations arise from delays within the agency promulgating the regulation before it gets to IRRC, or are the result of problems with the regulation that IRRC or the standing committees may ask an agency to address. In addition, there is also an avenue for temporary emergency regulations to be put in place while IRRC is reviewing a proposed regulation."

This is the 1st time that I have ever seen more government, more committees, and more red tape, presented as a republican ideal.

This sounds familar. If memory serves me correctly, this same Rep. Pyle who sponsors the bill was behind a similar move 2 or so years ago when he and the coal lobby asked the governor's office to "delay" the designation of wild trout streams and that they were taking place "too fast". Of course Mr. Arway declined to heed this delay for any amount of time and now the "hold it up" sentiment is back, this time as part of this bill.

In my opinion, the wild trout streams part of this bill is nothing more than naked agression against one agency that isn't beholden to state politics when it makes its decsions on behalf of the environment of the commonwealth.

I wonder how any of these elected representatives would like it if:

- We appointed an independent commission to automatically review the count of the votes that won them office, no matter what the margin of victory.

- This IRRC (a commission that may or may not be made up of member of the opposit party who would look for anyway to overturn the results) can ask for clarifications, evidence, anything it wants to examine the "validity" of the vote count.

-While all this going on the elected rep couldn't work and couldn't collect a paycheck until this IRRC finished its review, even it took them about 2 years into the new term?

These were the same talking points I received from my Rep. They really try to sound like they have our best interest at heart but when you consider that we are all basically getting a canned response you know that they have been told what to say incase anyone complained.

We are all starting to realize who they represent and it isn't us.

Sasquatch,
Earlier in this thread I posted a link to a previous discussion that took place on here about the bill before it made it out of committee. In the video that vcregular posted in that thread, John Arway (Executive Director PFBC) lays out a very convincing (IMHO) argument against the measures in the bill. You also get a real sense of motivation and lack of scientific knowledge of those proposing the rule changes throughout the hearing as well. I know it's long, but check out some of the dialogue from Pyle and the other supporters of the bill, and then listen to Arway. Gives a good summary of some of the reasons for support and opposition.

The testimony I read in support of the bill did little to persuade me that it has anything to do with keeping PA beautiful. I'd say the sole focus was on how it's more expensive to conduct business and adhere to the rules governing class "a" trout streams or areas where known T/E species exist.

I've sent a separate email to my rep, asking him for HIS position on the proposal. That form letter was double talk, smoke screen crap.
I don't want a canned response.

I got the same response from mine as well, however it was shortened.

So I guess if Rep. Pyle wants the last two independent agencies to come under gov't control with their decisions, then they should fund them as well, right? As soon as those become governmental decisions, then tax dollars should be used to fund the agencies just like DCNR and DEP. Not that I want that to happen, but...

I wonder who wrote the form letter that is being used by all these different state reps?

Maybe a writer working for one of the industry trade groups?

And I wonder who wrote THE BILL?

The answer might be the same.

Hey, Sas. why don't YOU think about a point by point rebuttal to the letter?

you can't ask everyone to do your thinking for you and then complain about the response you get. No one here is being an activist, we want the same thing the bill is asking for: transparency. Only we want to know why this bill is even being proposed. It's obviously not helping our commonwealth protect it's resource's so who IS it helping?

educate yourself on the issue, connect the dots and write a rebuttal yourself. it will mean more to you then.

Back