Targeting a single fish

Tucker733

Tucker733

So with the rains coming tonight I figured the water would be at its best tomorrow to target a big brookie that has been giving me a hard time. I have spooked the last 2 times I've fished it. It lays in about a 3 foot deep plunge pool that is full of about 4 or 5 6 inchers and the largest wild brookie I've ever seen (13 inches give or take a little). Both times I've snuck up I've hooked into one of the smaller blowing my chances with the big guy in the pool. The pool is only about 3 feet long as the stream roles of a large round solid rock(20 feet tall it is one of the most amazing hidden gems come across) and into the pool which stops quickly at a large pile of rocks that have rolled off the large rock for centuries. I'm wondering what you guys think is the best approach and tactic to targeting this fish. If it works I'll post the pics of the amazing fish.

Size 14 yellow Stimulator.

Period of higher, slightly off color water, but not chocolate milk. Just enough to disguise your presence and let you get into prime casting position undetected.

If I was targeting that fish specifically, and it was a legit 13 inch range fish, I would throw a weighted Bugger, black in color. Probably about size 12.

My favorite kind of fishing!

Laying a leader across a fish from below in skinny water is THE best way to spook them, and why I always work this situation from above. Plus a fly dropping from above and behind his position will send him fleeing.

If you stay low enough and far enough back, they won't see you. Make a careful presentation far enough above him so the fly drifts into him. The first thing that reaches the fish is your fly, not a leader or its shadow. And, if he's the dominant fish in the pool, he'll often have a position ahead of the smaller fish, which eliminates the risk of spooking him if you hook a smaller one.

Been doing it this way for years and I'm always amazed how well it works.

Swattie87 wrote:

If I was targeting that fish specifically, and it was a legit 13 inch range fish, I would throw a weighted Bugger, black in color. Probably about size 12.

^This. Especially if the water is high and off color...

Stay low approach from the pile of rocks and stay below the pile of rocks. Cast a big stimulator into the deepest part of the pool into the foam line, a #12 fly should do it. If you go sub-surface go with a big woolly bugger, if the sun is on the pool use a white one, if it's in the shade use a black one. #8 2X long. Or if you like classic flies, use a # 8 weight Mickey Finn. The big flies will keep the little fish from hitting it before the big fish gets it's chance.

just limit out every time you go back. eventually, it'll be the only one left.

Well, can't argue with Gary. That method will work.

Well I failed again after a 20 minute walk to the hole I could see it was super clear. I approached low through the rock pile then I cast a #10 wooly bugger and instantly the water boiled I figured I had it. Nope another 6 incher this happened 4 times never even saw the big one. I did find a rock and a undercut section of bank that it could quickly hide under. I guess I'll have to go bigger and wait for some more rain next time

If it's an "amazing" fish go a lot bigger than a size 10.

Well, Tucker, keep after him. I am after a big trout, too, having rolled him twice in the same morning back in July. He is a (I hesitate to admit it) a large palomino that is at least 10 miles from where he was stocked. He is in a stream that has not been stocked for 27 years. I have tried nymphs, streamers, a Letort Cricket, and even a couple egg flies I found when I went to Erie years ago. But, I can't get him to bite again. He has moved from the pool where I first found him to a run a couple hundred yards down the creek. At least 3 other guys are after him, too. I plan to keep after him till I catch him or cannot again find him. Anyhow, that's my advice to you: Keep after him, try everything!
Good luck.

Have you tried bow fishing?

I've had a couple fish that I caught this year disappoint me, because I hooked them right before a larger fish could take my offering. I know that feeling of fighting with the littler ones. Contrary to some beliefs, you don't need to GI crawl to the whole, moving six feet in one hour, wearing full body camo, after hanging on the clothesline all day, so your body scent blows away. You don't need the perfect cast or the perfect drift or the perfect fly. You just need to keep trying. And don't give up just because you catch one fish. You will often be able to pick up multiple fish out of a hole and if the larger fish doesn't get to your fly the first time, he might on the second or third or fourth time. Brookies can be funny - I've at times retrieved an offering through a hole and have a fish follow, literally to my feet. I've stood there, with a dab of feather in the water, and the fish will peck and dart around, trying to get at the fly, right at my feet. I've even caught a few that way (or more precisely, they've caught themselves). They can be intensely curious fish at times, but are mostly just opportunistic feeders, because most of them are half-starved.

Don't overthink it. Just keep making the hike until you catch the fish. If there really are tons of smaller fish, release them downstream a hole or two or three If it is the best hole around, they'll end up there again, but you might buy a day or two of lower fish density in that hole, which would increase your odds with the larger fish.

rrt wrote:
He is...a large palomino that is at least 10 miles from where he was stocked... I have tried nymphs, streamers, a Letort Cricket, and even a couple egg flies.

Obviously you need some patented Zeus Of Troot poutfitters flies.

govtmule wrote:
If it's an "amazing" fish go a lot bigger than a size 10.

It's a native wild brook gem... "Amazing" is probably all of 11".

Oh in that case minimum size 4 articulated zoo muppet monkey cougar....

Tucker733 wrote:
Well I failed again after a 20 minute walk to the hole I could see it was super clear. I approached low through the rock pile then I cast a #10 wooly bugger and instantly the water boiled I figured I had it. Nope another 6 incher this happened 4 times never even saw the big one. I did find a rock and a undercut section of bank that it could quickly hide under. I guess I'll have to go bigger and wait for some more rain next time

When the water is "super clear" a streamer is not a good choice.

A dry fly, or a green inchworm, would have been better choices.

Gfen I know the fish is over 11" or I would be obsessed with catching it. I've pulled 2 12" and a 14" from the stream in the past. 2 of us saw the fish the first time and both believed 13".

gfen wrote:
rrt wrote:
He is...a large palomino that is at least 10 miles from where he was stocked... I have tried nymphs, streamers, a Letort Cricket, and even a couple egg flies.

Obviously you need some patented Zeus Of Troot poutfitters flies.

That made me laugh.

Back