Tandem terrestrials

dc410

dc410

I checked my flyfishing log yesterday and realized that the last time I had fly fished for trout was on Sunday evening of Memorial Day weekend. That evening I remember witnessing a really good sulphur spinnerfall. With the summer quickly fading away I just needed to get out there and get after some wild trout. So I fished the same section that I had fished back the end of May. It felt good to string up the trout rod and mess around with some 6X tippet. I fished the whole evening with the same two flies - a size 14 Murray's flying beetle up top with a simple size 16 black fur ant as the dropper - tandem terrestrials. As expected the water was low and very clear, but all of the holes and runs with decent depth and all of the good seams held fish that were willing to play. I caught 8 wild trout (7 brookies and 1 brown) and lost probably another time that many in a couple hours of fishing. I caught the majority of them on the black fur ant dropper but a few of them on the Murray's beetle as well.

At one point I rounded a bend and ran into a small bachelor group of bucks standing in the middle of the stream. Three whitetail bucks in velvet and their red summer coats - pretty cool. I surprised them at the same time that they surprised me so there was no opportunity for a photo. Pretty cool though.

This stream is stocked in the spring with Rainbows by the PFBC but there has always been a decent population of both wild brook and brown trout and it pretty much affords year round flyfishing opportunities with the resident wild trout population - except for the period where the ATWs are closed from March until opening day. At dark when I got back to my truck there was another vehicle parked nearby with a fellow sitting in the back of his SUV changing out of his running shoes. He simply asks me "Catch anything?". I said "Oh, I caught a few". He said "Oh yeah, so there are still some in there, huh"? I just smiled and replied " yep, sure are". Have a good evening".

dc410 wrote:
I caught 8 wild trout (7 brookies and 1 brown) and lost probably another time that many in a couple hours of fishing.

Trash fish.

Can't believe you've sunk to this level. No dignity. :cool:

Tandem terrestrials, especially using wet ants and inch worms under large beetles. . .is a killer. Works great well into late autumn as long as water levels remain on the low side. Good stuff.

Tandem terrestials are indeed a favorite, and beetle + ant may be my favorite combo of all.

Terrestrials do indeed have a special place in my heart

Back