Synthetics For Baitfish Patterns

turkey

turkey

I pretty much stick to the classics. The Clouser Deep Minnow and Lefty's Deceiver or some combo of the two, for bass and bigger predators. I was looking at some emerald shiner patterns that called for DNA Holo Fusion fibers but this material seems to be discontinued. What are you using to add some iridescent, flowing qualities to your baitfish style flies?

Thanks!

turkey wrote:
I pretty much stick to the classics. The Clouser Deep Minnow and Lefty's Deceiver or some combo of the two, for bass and bigger predators. I was looking at some emerald shiner patterns that called for DNA Holo Fusion fibers but this material seems to be discontinued. What are you using to add some iridescent, flowing qualities to your baitfish style flies?

Thanks!

This maybe > https://www.feather-craft.com/new-age-krinkle-flash

I like craft fur for some baitfish patterns

Thank you gentlemen. I overlooked Bear's Den.

Shake, I have some tan craft fur around here somewhere. I'll dig that out as well.

Cheers!

turkey wrote:
What are you using to add some iridescent, flowing qualities to your baitfish style flies?

Flashabou has really developed some beautiful, flashy, almost holographic products these days - really fun to tie into big streamers. I'm a fan and like my streamers to have such flash, unless they're all black.

FTD materials.

Attachments

• DSCF0529.JPG
    DSCF0529.JPG
    199 KB · Views: 7
afishinado wrote:
turkey wrote:

Thanks!

This maybe > https://www.feather-craft.com/new-age-krinkle-flash

Thanks for showing us that stuff...now I have to spend some money!

Sandfly: Those look good for snook under lights in FL and false albacore around Cape Lookout in the fall!

Generally, use either Mirror Image or Senyo Lazer Dub for my bait fish patterns. I flash blend the Mirror Image and use it for my larger patterns, say 3 inches or longer. The Senyo Lazer Dub already has flash in it and works well for smaller patterns.
Top fly in the picture is tied with Mirror Image
The smaller one with the Senyo material.

Attachments

• bait fish1.jpg
    bait fish1.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 3
Hey Jerry, love these, how about a recipe and some brief instruction. They would be great where we fish for early season pickerel.
JerryC wrote:
Generally, use either Mirror Image or Senyo Lazer Dub for my bait fish patterns. I flash blend the Mirror Image and use it for my larger patterns, say 3 inches or longer. The Senyo Lazer Dub already has flash in it and works well for smaller patterns.
Top fly in the picture is tied with Mirror Image
The smaller one with the Senyo material.

Thanks everyone for the informative replies. Bob and Jerry, very nice baitfish patterns. That's exactly what I'm looking for.

Much appreciated everyone.

I'm a big craft fur fan.

My favorite combo is olive over light gray with a dark flash lateral line. Tie it like a streamer, a Thunder Creek, or a Clouser - all work. Originally I tied it as a jig when I was a match the hatch jig guy (this combo is supposed to be a longnose dace). I like a white belly on streamers, but with craft fur I have had better luck with something off-white, like a gray, cream, or tan. BTW, when I first tied craft fur flies I had to get craft fur from the doll section of my local craft store. The gray hair for dolls was just about perfect and had a mixture of lighter and darker. The better fur from fly tying suppliers is much easier to work with than the old craft fur - the old craft fur had too much short under fur.

Mickey Finn is a good color combo for craft fur streamers, and gray over cream is a real subtle combo for picky fish.

Thanks JeffK. Interesting detail about the white vs. off-white belly.

Back