SW Report NJ Shore

afishinado

afishinado

Staff member
WARNING!....PICS INCLUDED OF FISH CAUGHT ON A SPIN ROD....PLEASE LOOK AWAY IF THIS OFFENDS YOU.

Fredrick, Derek/SurfCowboy and I hit the NJ Shore (Point Pleasant) for an inshore charter, looking to catch some albies and bass.

We did run into some albie blitzes in the morning. Derek missed a few, I never got a touch, but Fredrick hooked a few using a spin rod.

The weather turned bad in the early afternoon and it was a rough ride back, but it was a fun time to be out.

Look forward to the bass run in the next couple of weeks.

Trip Report

Attachments

• Zebco Fredrick.jpg
    Zebco Fredrick.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 5
  • Pink Plastic.jpg
    Pink Plastic.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 3
Excellent motivation!

Sounds like a re-run of the "Rumble on the River." Where was Krayfish? He'll shamelessly pick up a "cheater stick." :cool:

Bet it was a fun time. Wish I coulda joined you guys.

I'm looking forward to hitting the NJ shore this fall.

I've been watching this sub-forum for saltwater reports. Like Dave said, that's good motivation.

I was down in DE two weeks ago but, unfortunately, I didn't get any fishing in. I didn't even check any spots. If I'd have known the weather was going to be so good on the coast I'd have planned tomorrow differently and went south. Damn this time of year.

Dave_W wrote:
Excellent motivation!

Sounds like a re-run of the "Rumble on the River." Where was Krayfish? He'll shamelessly pick up a "cheater stick." :cool:

Kray is on sabbatical from fishing until April. Probably taking mulligans on the course while we were out on the water:roll:

Hey......Fred took a mulligan.

Nice. I have been waiting for reports of some action before heading down there. I am looking to book Shore Catch as well.

afishinado wrote:
Dave_W wrote:
Excellent motivation!

Kray is on sabbatical from fishing until April. Probably taking mulligans on the course while we were out on the water:roll:

Hey......Fred took a mulligan.

I was catching fish even before those two even showed up

I missed a good pull early on, then had one swipe at the fly just as I was pulling it out of the water to cast. Finally, we got a great approach at a pod that was just BOILING, and any reasonable cast was going to get whacked. I made a perfect cast, and a freaking seagull got my tippet tangled in his feet and took off in the air. By the time I got my fly back, the pod had gone down, as had our chances of catching an Albert on the fly.

The last week or so has seen excellent striper fishing as long as you are on a boat. From the surf it's been terrible. This past week has seen a few flurries but it is still poor surf side. Also which is very unusual is the total absence of bluefish this Fall so far. We are in our second day of strong northwest wind which hopefully will shake things up and improve the surf situation. I'll find out this afternoon.

johnw wrote:
The last week or so has seen excellent striper fishing as long as you are on a boat. From the surf it's been terrible. This past week has seen a few flurries but it is still poor surf side. Also which is very unusual is the total absence of bluefish this Fall so far. We are in our second day of strong northwest wind which hopefully will shake things up and improve the surf situation. I'll find out this afternoon.

Yep, canned tuna for landlubbers so far......

Attachments

• sorry-charlie_180x.jpg
    sorry-charlie_180x.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 4
Same old story, birds working well off the beach and the surf is dead. It seems that the few large fish that were around earlier in the week have moved South. I fish the Sandy Hook/Long Branch stretch only.

Today some small, 15-18 inches stripers caught. Otherwise all quiet.

I was out on Friday of last week (the 17th?) and fished from Bay Head down to Brick. I had three decent fish early on before the sun came up good, with the largest around 35" or so. I had to get out on the bar to reach the fish, and with the tide just starting to drop, it was a bit dicey. Once 8:00 rolled around, I didn't even see another fish caught. Everything else I heard from people I was fishing around was that, with all the bait (solid bunker from Belmar to LBI), the only reliable method was snag-and-drop fishing. I may try to hit it over this weekend if the conditions line up well.

SurfCowboyXX wrote:
I was out on Friday of last week (the 17th?) and fished from Bay Head down to Brick. I had three decent fish early on before the sun came up good, with the largest around 35" or so. I had to get out on the bar to reach the fish, and with the tide just starting to drop, it was a bit dicey. Once 8:00 rolled around, I didn't even see another fish caught. Everything else I heard from people I was fishing around was that, with all the bait (solid bunker from Belmar to LBI), the only reliable method was snag-and-drop fishing. I may try to hit it over this weekend if the conditions line up well.

Yeah, the run is not even a slow walk...at least surf fishing. Can't make it this weekend. Good luck if you get out.

Fished ocean county yesterday morning. 4 bass all 24in. and under on a 1/0 chart & white half and half. Didn't see any bait at all. The fleet of boats was out and the shore was lined with anglers and I didn't see anyone else catch a thing. It seems like the run is ending.

icyguides wrote:
Fished ocean county yesterday morning. 4 bass all 24in. and under on a 1/0 chart & white half and half. Didn't see any bait at all. The fleet of boats was out and the shore was lined with anglers and I didn't see anyone else catch a thing. It seems like the run is ending.

At least you got some action...good stuff.

Catching all shorts may indicate the end of the run.

Caught a couple of stripers this morning around 15. Problem is they were 15 inches not pounds. Not many fishing and it looks like most have given up. It would seem that the run such as it was is over but you never know. Anyway it was a nice morning and nice to feel something on the end of the line.

johnw wrote:
Caught a couple of stripers this morning around 15. Problem is they were 15 inches not pounds. Not many fishing and it looks like most have given up. It would seem that the run such as it was is over but you never know. Anyway it was a nice morning and nice to feel something on the end of the line.

John any chance you know Hugh ?

Don't know anyone named Hugh that I know of.

Had some 8-10 pound bluefish show up today, not a lot of them but at this point we'll take anything we can get..

Back