Susquehanna River PFBC Bass survey 2022

Well, finally some good news on the Susky! If it gets back to anything close to what is was like 2014-2017, that would be amazing. 🤞

Future looks promising. I've seen plenty of pictures of big fish but the fishing has been exceptionally tough over the past 3 years. They've been in there but just not cooperating I suppose. Struggled to have a banner day with flies or spin gear.

Well, finally some good news on the Susky! If it gets back to anything close to what is was like 2014-2017, that would be amazing. 🤞
Or, if it gets back to where it was in the early 2000's, that would be even more amazing. It was lights out bass fishing during that time.

Or, if it gets back to where it was in the early 2000's, that would be even more amazing. It was lights out bass fishing during that time.
2014-2017 was lights out in my section. 80+ fish days per person, most were 14"-15" or larger and we'd put a dozen 19" or slightly longer in the net every float. I won't be greedy and take that all day long 😉

Good news. However I cant help but notice the lack of sampling from 2002-2004 when things began to crash. I know the anglers were screaming that some was off going to to the early 2000's but its crazy to think that what some may consider the largest fishery in the state not having this specific sampling done on an annual basis.

Good news. However I cant help but notice the lack of sampling from 2002-2004 when things began to crash. I know the anglers were screaming that some was off going to to the early 2000's but its crazy to think that what some may consider the largest fishery in the state not having this specific sampling done on an annual basis.
Agree! You would think an important bass fishery that the Susky is, would be monitored more closely. When the die-off started, I remember seeing many dead young of the year bass with spots on them, wondering what was going on. It's refreshing to learn that things have turned around for the better.

Was looking at this data and the numbers are really good - both adult fish and YOY in the middle Susquehanna (Clemson Isl. down to T-Pike).

The 2022 CPU for adult bass was almost twice as high as the long term mean and the CPU of fish 15" or larger was over twice the average. Lots of bigger fish in the mix as well. I often point out the rarity of genuine 20" SMBs in our rivers, but four such fish were surveyed near Harrisburg. Wow.

Angling reports last couple years have been lackluster (also my experience) but it's good to see the strong population data. It's not for lack of fish.

Also of note was the strong YOY class last year and this year. This supports my own anecdotal experience this summer that YOY SMBs seemed unusually numerous. This data reveals two good YOY years in row.

Great news.

Back