Susquehanna River color this weekend in Harriaburg, York Co or Lanc Co

M

Mike

Has anyone seen the Susquehanna this weekend in the Hbg area or downstream in York and/or Lancaster Co as far down as Rt 30 ? I see that it is running in the neighborhood of 6 ft at Hbg, but is it exceptionally muddy, just off-color, or its normal color? Strictly a professional question here concerning potential sampling this week for Muskellunge.

At Acmemapper.com you can view satellite images of the river, and the color looks mostly green, not brown.

But I don't know how often those images are updated. Does anyone know?

(I did some searching online and apparently these images are not updated very frequently, so can be months or even years old.)

Ask Krayfish

It's pretty dang muddy for this time of year. Maybe visibility of just a couple of inches. Perhaps better in slow water but I doubt it.

Thanks Hop. That is exactly what I needed. Even when it has not been raining, Secchi disk readings are usually only about two-thirds to three quarters of a meter. We did muskellunge electrofishing on the Schuylkill last week and it cleared off pretty quickly, so that's why I asked about the Susky. You saved me a 2-2.5 hr drive each way.

Are you surveying for wild YOY, or adults, or both?

Please keep us informed of the results - inquiring minds wanna know. :)

Mike wrote:
Thanks Hop. That is exactly what I needed. Even when it has not been raining, Secchi disk readings are usually only about two-thirds to three quarters of a meter. We did muskellunge electrofishing on the Schuylkill last week and it cleared off pretty quickly, so that's why I asked about the Susky. You saved me a 2-2.5 hr drive each way.

Mike does the state still stock tigers in the SKuke ? And if so around what areas ?

Fredrick wrote:
Mike wrote:

Mike does the state still stock tigers in the SKuke ? And if so around what areas ?

Reee-search, Snakey.

Schuylkill River BLACK ROCK DM: Lat: 40.1483, Long: -75.5063 PERKIOMEN CK: Lat: 40.1197, Long: -75.4623
Species Lifestage
Tiger Muskellunge Fingerling

Schuylkill River PERKIOMEN CK: Lat: 40.1195, Long: -75.4629 NORRISTOWN DM: Lat: 40.1114, Long: -75.3471
Species Lifestage
Tiger Muskellunge Fingerling

http://fbweb.pa.gov/stocking/WWCWStockingDetailsCurrent_RFP.aspx

Mike,
Can you share some results on your survey from last week on the Schuylkill? Curious what section you surveyed. Thanks.

Based on the recent addendum to the muskellunge management plan all stocked River sections are to be evaluated for muskellunge and/or tiger muskellunge abundance. The standard for continuing stocking is an electrofishing catch rate of one per hour or higher. The Schuylkill River was evaluated last week in the two stocked sections. The sampling sites in the section from Black Rock Dam downstream to Norristown Dam over a two day period of sampling produced only one tiger muskellunge and did not come close to the catch rate that would allow continuation of stocking. This is what we had seen in prior years as well when targeting other species. On the other hand, the sampling site in the section from Maiden Ck downstream to Angelica Ck ,near Reading, produced a very good catch rate at the sampling site equivalent to the North Branch Susquehanna's. In around 1.25 hrs three were caught and two were missed.

Today we sampled the main Susquehanna at a site within the stretch from York Haven Dam down to Bainbridge and saw a very high number of Muskies plus a northern . In around 1.5 hrs we captured three Muskies/tigers and the one northern. We also had ten Muskies get away. Once we found the type of habitat that they were using almost every small area with that habitat type produced one or two fish. It took us about .75 hrs to figure this out and then the finding was easy, but the fish were skilled at escapement. All but one were in water willow beds in 1-2.5 ft of water. Near shore felled trees, brush, and overhanging trees looked good, but produced only one fish. In the Rivers mentioned above the largest fish captured was around 41 inches.

I've caught two Muskies in the Susquehanna in my fishing lifetime. One when fishing for smallmouth...in a grass bed and not on a flyrod. That's what I always called them, "grass beds". Did not know they were actually water willows. Just looked it up on Wikipedia. Learning something new is never a bad thing. Thanks for the info Mike.

Mike wrote:
All but one were in water willow beds in 1-2.5 ft of water. Near shore felled trees, brush, and overhanging trees looked good, but produced only one fish.

Now that's interesting!

Water willow beds have always been a hotspot for SMBs but, were I chasing the toothies, I would have focused on deeper water and exactly the sort of cover that didn't produce many fish in this study. I probably would have paddled or waded right by the muskies and never seen 'em in the shallow spots where they were hanging out.
Hhmmm. . .

Anyway, glad to see the esocid numbers in the Susky looking good. It's no surprise, but still a useful and interesting data set.

Thanks Mike. This is good information.

This is great info!
A world class smallmouth, flathead and Muskie fishery in one?
Would you qualify it as such?
It sounds it and we are extremely lucky

Based on the aforementioned results, I have cancelled the stockings on the lower Schuylkill sections described above by Afish. Statewide efforts have been shifting and will continue to shift to waters that are producing good biological survey results ( meet or exceed the minimum standards established in the plan) and are being targeted by more than just a few Muskellunge anglers, especially as we move toward stocking fewer but much larger spring yearlings rather than fall YOY. We are trying to develop and maintain attractive fisheries.

Great info Mike. That resolves a question I've had for several years. I was fishing a clouser for SMB along a "weed" bed when I got a vicious strike and the line went slack immediately . Before I could finish knot shaming myself I realized the 8lb tippet was shredded. Musky crossed my mind but I couldn't convince myself they would be in that water. Sounds like it was likely a Musky. I'll be taking the 9wt and striper box for a few strolls when the water level gets down. Nice to know they may be more accessible to wade fisherman than I thought. Thanks again Mike.

Purple woolly,
Glad to be of assistance and to have possibly solved the nagging question about the big one that got away. Such "Intel" from fisheries biologists can certainly reduce the steepness of the learning curve. I'm certainly glad to provide some help when it comes to the evasive Muskellunge, thus the habitat details that I provided. Good luck!

purplewoolly wrote:
I'll be taking the 9wt and striper box for a few strolls when the water level gets down. Nice to know they may be more accessible to wade fisherman than I thought. .

Be sure to check the water temps if you are planning on doing this before fall. Some of the lakes are getting pretty close to 80 degrees and I know a few streams are too. The river is probably a little cooler but it can't be too far behind. Good luck.

Shallow water around water willow is where I most commonly find muskies in the Juniata. I also see them in deeper water around fallen timbers and whatnot but I've definitely encountered more near shallow weedbeds.

Pardon my ignorance but is 80 degrees a decreased activity level or a too stressful if caught level? Obviously either is not positive, just curious. Thanks

Back