Surf Fishing

They are catching some fluke now during the day, some are keepers, and sharks at night at I.B.S.P. I go to http://www.guppiesfishing.com/ for reports on the island. Not a fly fishing site but good reports and no BS.

Fished the Hook yesterday noon till dark.
Lots of dirty water, go figure.
Swells cutting in some nice new structure.
Still bait in the bay and coves.
A couple of short fluke on small clausers.
North Beach bird wires are gone.
Will get down again Friday

wet

If anyone is looking for someone to ride along I would be happy to go to Sandy Hook. I have never been there but have most of the gear. Maybe we should have a saltwater jam.

Thanks
Rick

Saltwater Jam sounds like a good idea to me. Who wants to organize it??

My buddy has a beach buggy permit for IBSP, so I may head down there at least one time next month. I am familiar with that area, but not Sandy Hook.

Salt water Jam AY , could be interesting !

I do the Hook mostly now and then fish the park.
In the park I like to just walk on at Gilkins.
Will be giving the Hook a look see on Friday.

wet

So if I read NJ's regs correctly, to be a recreational fisherman all one would have to do is register with NOAA?

Hmmm... Might have to check on the feasibility of an IBSP trip this fall!

couldn't do a jam this year, but next year on I.B.S.P. would be great. Also there are a few motels there that cater to fisherman..

You guys do this, I'm absolutely in.

I've never been to IBSP, but I know that Sandy Hook has not only surf to fish, but some stuff on the bay side that's not taking ocean surf, too.

I wonder how long the little troupe of fly fishers would hold out, before the long rods got put away and the big surf spin rods came out?

CLSports wrote:
Saltwater Jam sounds like a good idea to me. Who wants to organize it??

I considered heading up a salt Jam for this fall at IBSP but, after my poor choice of rivers for the WWI jam, folks might consider my choices cursed... esp considering that a surf fishing event is MUCH more hit or miss than bass fishing. The fishing gods just aren't smiling on me this year. :-(
Also, keep in mind the steel jam in mid Nov. Nevertheless, a salt jam is certainly doable and I'd certainly attend if the date works for me.

Wgmiller,
You're correct (at least for 2010) - only need to register.

gfen wrote:
You guys do this, I'm absolutely in.

I've never been to IBSP, but I know that Sandy Hook has not only surf to fish, but some stuff on the bay side that's not taking ocean surf, too.

I wonder how long the little troupe of fly fishers would hold out, before the long rods got put away and the big surf spin rods came out?

Island Beach State Park has good back bays too (great location for kayaking). As for breaking out spin gear - doesn't take long for me. Sometimes the fly rods never come out of my car when the wind is ripping, which is often.

Fishidiot wrote:
Also, keep in mind the steel jam in mid Nov. Nevertheless, a salt jam is certainly doable and I'd certainly attend if the date works for me.

Given teh choice between a 7 hour trek for steel, or a 2.5 hour drive for salt, its a no brainer for me. :)

SR is less than 4 from the Lehigh Valley....

I always have the plug rod with me also.
Love to throw flys but bustin fish at 50 yards just gets to me.
Besides I build my own plugs , there is always time test them.

wet

I'd definitely be up for a salt jam!

wetflyguy, I have made my own lures too, we'll have to compare notes sometime. I use an alvey for long distance casting, gets out where no one else can.

NJ beaches had albies in the surf yesterday. Lots of blues too. :-D

I am trying to plan a trip to Sandy Hook for a bunch of my Tu members this fall anyone is welcomed to join :-D

Fred,
Let us know when you've got the date nailed down, I'll join you if I can.

I will Dave I never really planned something like this so it might be a bumpy ride.

How's the back bay fishing there? Worth bringing a watercraft?

Back