Summer Waders

I've never fished for trout under temperature where I could not tolerate waders. SMB on the Juniata... whole different story. sorry to be pedantic, but vibrio and E.coli are spread orally and take hold in the GI tract. Staph is the major and serious concern. As poopdeck wrote, watch what you put in your mouth! I an VERY bad at this even though I am aware- throwing stones in my glass house. Don't forget parasites like Giardia. I have a bottle of sanitizer in the car, but I bet I've had my hands in my mouth a hundred times by then! If you are older, diabetic, immunocompromised (can be caused by some drugs) or have poor peripheral circulation you would be foolish to wet wade.

Waders in summer? Must be one of those guys who wears waders to prevent himself from getting ticks (does that even work?) (like you can check yourself afterwards) (a hot shower should be the cure for anything post-fishing). Me I prefer wet-wading in cooler water temps when it's hot or even mild out.
Wet wading leaves you vulnerable to snake bites.

Wet wading leaves you vulnerable to snake bites.
I'm going to interpret this as a joke.

For those genuinely concerned, go search how many snake bites are reported annually in PA. (I already did but want others to feel silly when they see the number)

Probably, the least likely threat to your safety during a day on the water.

I'm going to interpret this as a joke.

For those genuinely concerned, go search how many snake bites are reported annually in PA. (I already did but want others to feel silly when they see the number)

Probably, the least likely threat to your safety during a day on the water.
👍 It was a joke but I still take a preventative before hitting the stream.

👍 It was a joke but I still take a preventative before hitting the stream. View attachment 1641232349

I CARRY a small flask of preventative with me.

I also carry a wading staff for snakes... ;)

Speaking of issues with briars, ticks, et al....

Definitely NOT the most comfortable or cool option, but you COULD wet wade in briar pants.

Another option I used for years was a pair of surplus BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) pants. BDU pants have a double layer of fabric in the lower leg area and larger front & side pockets that offer more protection than you'll get with a light pair of Supplex Nylon "fishing" pants.

Definitely NOT the most comfortable or cool option, but you COULD wet wade in briar pants.

Another option I used for years was a pair of surplus BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) pants. BDU pants have a double layer of fabric in the lower leg area and larger front & side pockets that offer more protection than you'll get with a light pair of Supplex Nylon "fishing" pants.

I wet wade extensively in a pair of lightweight quick-dry pants from Columbia and have never had an issue with any of those things. I do, however, treat them with permethrin a couple times a year. It's easy and has seemed to be effective on my hunting stuff in regard to ticks.

I think that this, like some other topics, is one of of those things where guys exchange one hassle for another because of an unwillingness to assume any risk. The bottom line is that without waders you're gonna get wet, there's nasty stuff in the water, your pants might get torn up, you might get torn up, etc.

For me, it's "F&*% those waders, I'm getting wet." I cover way to much ground in a day to suffer with waders if I don't need to.

I CARRY a small flask of preventative with me.

I also carry a wading staff for snakes... ;)

The issue with BDUs is that they hold water. I use a quick dry fabric which is usually dry by by the time I get back to my car if I’m going commando.

The issue with BDUs is that they hold water. I use a quick dry fabric which is usually dry by by the time I get back to my car if I’m going commando.

I wet wade 99% of the time except in the dead of winter and also use nothing but light quick drying Supplex Nylon pants.

What sucks about the Supplex pants is they do squat against stinging nettle and even poison ivy if you walk through a bunch. BDU's while not as comfortable do offer some protection against nettle & poison ivy.

Thorns will puncture just about anything but I'd rather have a few holes in me versus a $300-$700 pair of waders...

Cures snakebite and helps with rheumatis!

I've been carrying a flask while fishing since I was a kid.

It just seemed like it was something I was supposed to do... ;)

Last edited:
I wear waders when trout fishing, I never wet wade. That being said in the summer months I fish tailwaters that are pretty cold. I wear a lightweight wicking pants or shorts and then a dri fit shirt. Not going to lie after a good hike getting in the cold water feels real good. Even though I have waders on it still cools me off.

Last thing, clean waders breath better!

Love to wet wade, usually start in May, end in Oct/Nov depending on temps. I like 120f (combined Air and water temp) used to do 100f combined but as I age a long day can get too cold. Many advantages of wet wading, the freedom of movement, great on long hikes, saves on waders :) Im usually in shorts unless having to walk through scrub, then Ill put on a light pair of quick dry long pants.
I got a pair of Simms wading sandals (On sale at Sierra Trading) with studs several years ago and usually go barefoot in these sandals. Their not in production anymore so Im looking for something similar when these eventually wear out.

To be fair I have had my share of cuts around the ankles and on occasion and was concerned about snakes in PA, and lots of stinging nettles in Ireland :) but no snakes at least.

I'm on my third pair of Orvis ultralight waders. The first two were the old Silver Label versions. I've really liked all of them, though the second pair didn't hold up all that well.

That said any wader is hot in the summer and wet wading is the way to go for me if I won't be wading deep in cold water for an extended period of time.

First, I'm a cheapskate with waders. I'll next say that right now I have a pair of neoprene waders, breathable waders and a pair of lightweight nylon waders I use as an emergency set. They all have their time and place. When it's warm enough I wet wade. There are no rules. Go with what works for you.

Back