Sulphur recommendation needed

N

nomad_archer

Hi everyone. I am in need a a simple sulpher pattern recommendation that floats well enough to work on a dry dropper rig. When I fish a dry dropper I am typically fishing a size 18 or 20 nymph with a 2 or 2.4mm bead. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

The Usual. Easy to tie and floats well.

Lose the bead and you can use just about any Sulphur dry fly pattern.

If you use fluoro for the dropper like I do, it sinks just fine and it drifts where you want it in the water column to imitate emerging flies.

Thanks everyone! Off course the usual has materials I dont have :) But I just realized maybe a comparadun will work. I'll have to give it a shot while I wait for the usual materials to get here.

nomad_archer wrote:
Thanks everyone! Off course the usual has materials I dont have :) But I just realized maybe a comparadun will work. I'll have to give it a shot while I wait for the usual materials to get here.

Compara or sparkle duns pattern work. I also like to use parachute ties with a polyyarn or Mcfly foam wing as my top fly for a dry dropper rig.
A bright colored wing-post makes it more visible.

Agree with previous replies- the usual did some work this past weekend, they seemed to prefer the snowshoe tail over a conventional tail. Tied with a healthy wing and tail it shoud float a 16-18 beadhead.

I second that. .

This is a nice little fly. Now I have to go figure out what the real life sulphur is.

Years ago I restricted my late season dry flies to a tan sparkle dun and and parachute light Cahill and I don't think I saw much difference in the number of fish I caught. Went back to a few boxes of flies just because that's what fly fishermen do.

This year I also have done well with a snowshoe hare shuck.

Finally, as I get older I need brighter flies to see. I love sparkle duns and Comparaduns, but have trouble seeing the deer hair wing at dusk. My dusk fly this year has white hackle and a white post (and a snowshoe hair shuck/tail) and it looks like an indicator rather than a fly. Fish sure take it though.

Once bought a sulphur parachute that had some kind of flash in the post and it lit up at dusk. Have tried to duplicate it with some success, but nothing like the fly I bought. Anybody use flash in flies for night/dusk use?

Jeff, I've done that dance with 1 box and 2 patterns before. I'm back up to 5 or 6 boxes but only fish out of 1 or 2 boxes. One box is nymphs and the other is dries. 4 patterns more or less between the two boxes. Why I carry the rest, I'll never know.

I have a hard time seeing some of these patterns I use as the dry on the dry dropper rig. I just wait for the splash or the ripples of the fly going under if the nymph was taken. I'd love to find that happy medium where the fish will take the dry and it's visible.

I recently caught a personal record brown this past Sunday with the dry dropper method. (Wish I could upload a pic). Anyway, the Comparadun is probably one of the best Sulfur patterns ever devised. But I personally wouldn’t use it on a dry dropper rig. Parachutes will do the job much better job in this regard, especially if you’re using 2.0-2.4mm tungsten beads opposed to brass.

You can make that Usual with CDC

Something that has worked for me lately at dusk is a pair of white hackle/white wing flies. The first one is a #12 and 20" back is a #16. Can follow the #12 easily when I can't follow the smaller one. As the dusk gets darker the fish seem to prefer the larger fly.

Lately I have trouble following more natural colored flies.

Back