Suckers on Spring Creek

Pierced lips instead of clipped dorsal?

Has anyone ever caught a sucker on a dry fly or are they strictly bottom feeders?

1hook wrote:
Has anyone ever caught a sucker on a dry fly or are they strictly bottom feeders?

Only on nymphs in my experience.

1hook wrote:

I've caught a few whites on dries during hatches, but otherwise they prefer to feed subsurface. You'd be surprised how often they'll chase down smaller streamers too!

JeffK wrote:
Pretty some we may even talk about stalking bowfin in the Great lakes shallows.

I haven't caught many freshwater drum, but the few I did fought like tanks.

That's already a thing at some of the bays off of Erie. It's not popular but there are a few people that do it. Bowfin are very slowly gaining in popularity on the inland waters as well. Like Char_Master said, it can be intense at times. When they're active they are a ton of fun on streamers. Often the bite is extremely subtle, but then there's times when they absolutely destroy your fly.

Yeah drum are another great fighting native fish. I've sight fished for them a few times......can be surprisingly selective!! Fun fish on the long rod.

And Char_Master, that gangster hogsucker is epic hahaha

Just an update.. I caught my first sucker of the year on the little j on Saturday.

I'd like to be remembered as the best sucker fisherman of all time

NewSal wrote:
Just an update.. I caught my first sucker of the year on the little j on Saturday.

I'd like to be remembered as the best sucker fisherman of all time
My friend Doug and I both caught our first suckers of the year on MLK Jr. day on Spring Creek. We do NOT want to be remembered as great sucker fisherman however. I will leave that honor to NewSal. LOL

I decided to have my first sucker of 2017 mounted, what do you think?
river_redhorse_zps0qttp3nj.jpg

ryansheehan wrote:

Shiny

Amazing ryan, I'm envious, I will have to mount my next one

troutbert wrote:
ryansheehan wrote:

Shiny

I think those "brown troot" things or whatever they're called wish they looked as good as that Redhorse!

On a more serious note, the first 26"+ White Sucker or 28"+ Moxostoma sp. I catch, I'm getting a replica mount made of. A friend of mine caught a 22 pound Smallmouth Buffalo a week ago that I definitely would've gotten a replica made for.

Every brown trout I catch on spring I gut em before I release em. They get in the way of America's premier gamefish!

Interesting. Looks like the sucker in Ryan's mount pic has an asymmetric tail - the top lobe comes to fairly sharp point whereas the bottom lobe is rounded. European barbel (a bottom feeder like suckers) have this tail formation but I didn't realize suckers do too. Cool. That is, if the mount is an accurate representation.

Eccles wrote:
Interesting. Looks like the sucker in Ryan's mount pic has an asymmetric tail - the top lobe comes to fairly sharp point whereas the bottom lobe is rounded. European barbel (a bottom feeder like suckers) have this tail formation but I didn't realize suckers do too. Cool. That is, if the mount is an accurate representation.

I have no idea its just a picture I downloaded off the internet :) It was hard to find one by the way.

Eccles wrote:

Eccles, they're somewhat related fish, but look more similar than they actually are. Barbel are a member of the family Cyprinidae ("Minnows, Shiners, Dace, Chubs, Carp", etc.) whereas the American Suckers are in the family Catostomidae ("Suckers, Redhorse, Buffalo", etc.). Both families, however, are within the order Cypriniformes ("Minnow/Carp-like fishes"). This is a reason many people believe Buffalo are Carp (which they are not), because they appear so similar and taxonomically speaking are in the same order.

not hard to find suckers considering the number of posts this subject got-slimy beasts ticked me off even more than the easy to catch cutthroats and now yer stocking them..

I caught a big chunky sucker on Yellow Creek. One of the best fights I've had on my 5 wt in a while.

Ryan - Any reason you chose to have the mount done with the mouth not extended? I woulda figured that was the preferred mouth disposition for a sucker mount.

Back