Striped Bass Report, Jersey Shore

SNJChef

SNJChef

Last 2 days out with my daughter fishing the back bays we have landed 22 stripers, 4 keepers total. Took the skiff last night and today, hit my usual hot spots. A lot of top water action we landed 22 but rolled an easy double that. 2 keepers last night 2 this morning. A lot of shorts this morning but trolled up 2 keepers on clousers and deceivers. looks like the back water action has turned on down the shore.

Best time of year for fishing. Lots of mullet around. Ill be out tomorrow night to see what I can find.

I miss Bradley Beach, even though I didn't fly fish when I lived there. Sounds like you're enjoying it.

With the colder than normal temps, we could see an early and strong fall run at the shore (let's hope).

Air temp 49 degrees when we went out this morning @ 4:45, It is gonna be a great fall for fishing. Seeing some bass pushed up on the jetty's also, 4 keepers this morning before sunrise. Snagged 2 weakies from under the bridge a lot of bait under the lights. Flounder fishing has been really good offshore also.

I know this is New Jersey discussion, but I've been trying to get a handle on when is the best time to hit the coast on the southern border of DE for stripers or any good fly rod quarry? I'll mainly hit back bays and inlets and use a kayak. I've caught stripers there around Halloween. Saltwater is not my specialty but the learning is where the draw lies for me.

BrookieChaser wrote:
I've been trying to get a handle on when is the best time to hit the coast on the southern border of DE for stripers or any good fly rod quarry? I'll mainly hit back bays and inlets and use a kayak.

Anytime from about mid April until Christmas.
However, to narrow the best months, in my opinion, for what you're looking to do: early May to mid June, then Late Sept to late October. Generally, there tends to be a view that the back bays fish a bit better in the early autumn whereas "out front" (the surf) fishes better in the late autumn. Again, this is very broad and basic - get there any chance you get.

Thanks FI, I appreciate the help.

Late night for me. Started around 7 pm got done around 2 am. Unfortunately no fish caught. Fish some jetties in north jersey them moved to an inlet. At the inlet we found fish breaking on something small. My guess was probably spearing. There was a lot in the bay last time I was there. Fish were hitting at slack tide. Then went cold once it turned. Me and my friend threw everything we had. But hooked fish but nothing to hand. Nice to see fish would be better to get a pic with some. Think i was a mux of bass and blues. Conditions were good and bad in the sense of temperature it was cold the ocean is still warm. The moon was bright which made the fish picky.

Brookie if I were you id focus my fishing at night and around briges and dock lights. IMO once you get past LBI the fishing changes. There is a lot more structure in the sand and along the coast in the northern part of jersey. Once you get south the beach has a much slower drop off. Topwater around the sedge works well but kinda hard out of a yak and is usually a dusk or dawn thing.

Marc

Thanks Marc. The main time I got into stripers was from pier lights on a bay.

I think most of the action is in the bays right now as the mullet are starting to school up and the waters are cooling down faster .

bait is on the move in jersey. tons of albies and blues being caught close to shore. mullet are out front as well as rainbait. a few bass in the mix but they are the resident fish.

oh man I love fall.

a few more stripers reported yesterday, numbers are edging up as the water temp is now 69.3F.

a noreaster tonight & tomorrow is down to blow cooler water south and get us to the magic 68F.

smart money is on the last week of October for the height of the run.

time to clean those reels fellas and check yer drags.

geebee wrote:
a few more stripers reported yesterday, numbers are edging up as the water temp is now 69.3F.

a noreaster tonight & tomorrow is down to blow cooler water south and get us to the magic 68F.

smart money is on the last week of October for the height of the run.

time to clean those reels fellas and check yer drags.

My reels have been cleaned since the beginning of September. :-D

Past 2 days the back bays have really heated up in the usual spots. today 5 bass all within 35 inch range. out front (jettys) hooked into some smaller ones and a bunch of blues. hoping the rain slows up tomorrow so we can get out on the right tide swing. will report back tomorrow.

SNJChef wrote:
Past 2 days the back bays have really heated up in the usual spots. today 5 bass all within 35 inch range. out front (jettys) hooked into some smaller ones and a bunch of blues. hoping the rain slows up tomorrow so we can get out on the right tide swing. will report back tomorrow.

nice going, 35" on the fly is pretty good.

i always think its a shame boat caught fish don't count, but then i don't make the rules..... ;-) :)

Fish is a fish imo. Boat is just another tool like a sinking line. As of now got my eyes on a 18 foot maritime skiff.
Late report went down monday. Fished one of my favorite inlets this time of year. Got there at sunrise. Surf was perfect imo waves were about 8 to 10 foot water was a little dirty lots of white water. Moved to the inlet and switched to a fast sinking line. Tons of mullet pouring out. Some fish chasing them but my guess was they were snappers. Looked to be bigger fish about 200 yards off the inlet. I think the offshore wind kept them out. So far been tough getting tight to fish but its still early.

marcq wrote:
Fish is a fish imo. Boat is just another tool like a sinking line.

i'm just busting here Marc :lol:

this morning report said not to expect clean water until Monday, NE winds 5-10 knots.

not great news short term, but that NE wind is bringing coooler water in and down.

Sunday will probably be a good day for the bait soakers - light surf, onshore wind, clearing water, normally brings the bass right in to that first breaker.

not a bad time to fish a gurgler either come to think of it.

I know geebee. Its one of those things that shore bassed anglers say out spite. If I had a boat I think my other fly fishing would dramatically go down. The reality is that even though jersey summers is not considered good for striper fishing. It really is if you have access to a boat. The backbay bite get to be really hot during june and augest. Its a matter of timing the tides. Most of the fishing is on topwater. Kinda hard to beat. Throwing poppers against or onto the sedges and getting blown up a foot off the bank. This is truly the only reason I want a boat.

Back