Strike Three?

Stagger_Lee wrote:
I'm kinda pissed @ myself I was a lil lazy and/or didn't give any thought to tying this winter. Gonna try to get into it next year or maybe even pick up a book and/or beginner tying set this year and pick some of ur minds down the road.

Any recommendations?

DJ .. how are u finding it?

Pick up a book, watch the videos on you tube and elsewhere, but most important, get someone who knows how to show you the steps. Otherwise you'll miss things like the stacker and something as simple as which direction the hair goes into the stacker.

I'm finding it like FF....Fun and aggravating all at the same time.

Like everyone says, it's a whole new kick when you catch them on your own tie!

mpschramm wrote:
I am the last one to be giving out fly tying advice...
It is difficult to tell by the pictures, but it almost looks like you tied the elk hair in by the tips. That might just be attributed to the shadows in the photo.

Nah, it's just my lousy tying technique :)

Stagger: I got a starter kit from cabela's and it has a lot of the materials you'll need. The hackle feathers leave a little to be desired if you're tying dries, but otherwise it's a decent kit. I was able to pick up a set of tools for about $10. Lots of great tying videos here (http://vimeo.com/user3412872)

Stagger_Lee wrote:
I'm kinda pissed @ myself I was a lil lazy and/or didn't give any thought to tying this winter. Gonna try to get into it next year or maybe even pick up a book and/or beginner tying set this year and pick some of ur minds down the road.

Any recommendations?

DJ .. how are u finding it?

Hey Stagger,

If you are interested in learning the basics of fly tying to get started, the Orvis store in Plymouth Meeting is giving free fly-tying lessons every Saturday in February. All tools and materials are provided. There is still space in the classes on Feb 16th & 23rd.

Thanks Afish .. this weekend out heading out of dodge for the weekend. What are the times for next Sat?

Got to work with djs12354 in person today on his cdc/elk tying.

He also got a comparadun down pat the first shot. Nice work Dave!

A few tweaks here and there, and he's doing much better on the cdc/elk. Now tie up a bunch more. :-D

Attachments

• djscdcelk.jpg
    djscdcelk.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 2
Looking great Dave. You have a great teacher there. Keep up the good work.

Heritage-Angler wrote:

A few tweaks here and there, and he's doing much better on the cdc/elk. Now tie up a bunch more. :-D

Thanks for taking the time to run up this way and work on the fly tying with me and Dan.

It was and is greatly appreciated. I'll be spending some time tomorrow working on the techniques

Dave

PS: Joy says to say Hello.

Dave - It was a fun day, for sure.

I know I mentioned it while we were tying, but I just want you to know how impressive your tying is already. You do a lot of things instinctively that are very fundamentally sound.

That comparadun you tied is pretty impressive! I know guys that have been tying for years that can't tie one that good. You should post a picture of it.

Tie some comparaduns in 14's, then move down to 16's, then finally 18's. You'll need size 18's with the olive dubbing shortly (like NOW). Remember - the smaller the fly, the less deer hair for the wing.

BTW - your destination for next weekend is looking prime. ;-)

H.A.

Heritage-Angler wrote:

Here's a shot of the comparadun tiesd with a lot of hand holding.....

It will be a while before the training wheels come off.

Thanks again for the help!

Second picture is one I just tied on my own. Looks like the deer hair is just a little sparse. Body could be better.

Opinions?

Attachments

• Comparadun.jpg
    Comparadun.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 2
  • MyComparadun.jpg
    MyComparadun.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 2
djs12354 wrote:
Here's a shot of the comparadun tiesd with a lot of hand holding.....

It will be a while before the training wheels come off.

Thanks again for the help!

Dave, it looks good but my advice would be to move the wing back a bit. Looks too close to the front but other than that, a nice tie.

Thanks, Fox.

I see what you mean about needing to move it back more.

Trying that damned Caddis again. I will master that one yet!

Back