strike indicators

Balloon indicators work great when long distance nymphing is necessary. I prefer no indicator at all, but when I do feel the need, the balloons work great. Just keep them as small as possible. Since the really small ones (like marble size) have such little air in them, they are pretty tough. I have had a pretty large trout eat one and pop the balloon, but it stayed in one piece. For some reason, trout really like to hit the orange ones. Hmmmm. Inflateable flies......

http://www.itinerantangler.com/podcasts/video/

I thought you guys were joking about the balloons...I have never seen those before. When I used to fish for muskies with spinning and baitcasting gear and live chubs we sometimes would use large balloons.

bigjohn58 wrote:
I thought you guys were joking about the balloons...I have never seen those before. When I used to fish for muskies with spinning and baitcasting gear and live chubs we sometimes would use large balloons.

John, check this link out. http://www.bighorntroutshop.com/forums.php

They have a little paragraph about them.

I have seen guides on the snbake river actually use party balloons as indicators. That's going too far! ha ha

I was just at Cabelas. Found those Thing a ma bobbers. Got a pack. First, they are comparatively inexpensive. (5 or 6 for 2.49 ) Second, If you like balloons they look like little balloons. You just loop them on like those yarn ones with the ring so you can adjust teh height and put them on before or after tying on the fly. They weigh very little (good in my opinion for casting) Can't wait to try them.

I am hesitant to throw this out there but I feel that this guy Dave Mckee deserves some publicity because he has a great product. Simple to use, very effective, and lightweight
http://www.davemckeeflyfishing.com/indicators.htm
They are a dollar each, he ships them to ya with an invoice.

The very best indicator I found was shown to me by our steel head guide. It is nothing other than a small balloon blown up and tied into your tippet. They work incredibly well as they float over the faster set of riffles still allowing you to have a great view of it. It handles just as well in slower flows.

I'll use that for steel head and even some of the larger trout streams across PA. The only change I make is when I hit the native streams where I switch over to using a big white winged dry as an indicator.

Everyone has their favorites, I tried and have a number of them, but the balloon has been a treat to fish with.

The most effective, easy-to-use strike indicator I’ve ever seen was an aluminum flip top from a beer can. I saw this demonstrated about 25 years ago at Put-n-Take Lake while fishing with my then 7 year old son. In addition to the flip top, you will also need an RV comfortable enough for a 3 month stay at the aforementioned fishing hole/campground, beer, your favorite nylon-webbed, aluminum-framed beach chair, a Mitchell 300 spinning outfit or equivalent, rod holder (preferably hardwood, sans bark and leaves) a hypodermic needle and a couple of good sized chunks of lead.. The procedure is as follows:

1. Strategically place your nylon-webbed, aluminum-framed chair a short distance from the refrigerator in the RV and within casting distance of the “lake”.
2. Open a beer; save the flip top.
3. Guesstimate the height of the weed bed at the bottom of the lake. From the hook on your line, add a fair amount of lead at a point equal to the anticipated height of the weed bed plus about 6 inches.
4. Fill a good sized nightcrawler with air from the hypodermic needle and apply to the hook.
5. Without spilling your beer, cast to the spot most recently stocked with fish.
6. Leave the bail on your spinning reel open and place it in the rod holder.
7. Bend the flip top from your beer can and hang it from the V-shaped slack created between the open bail of your reel and the first eye of your rod.
8. While reclining in your chair and as the nightcrawler floats 6 inches above the weed bed, watch for shrapnel in the shape of a beer can flip top as it slingshots from your now taut line. This indicates a strike. Protective eyewear is recommended.
9. At this point you can choose to either close the bail on your reel and play the fish or, do as the guy I observed did; let the fish swallow the nightcrawler down to its *** while getting another beer.

I have no idea how this applies to fly fishing, but I can’t think of everything.

maybe it's just me..but I wanted to try the thingamabobbers, got a pack at your friendly neighborhood Cabelas outlet, I ripped the eye-loop off of 2 of them this weekend. Am I doing something wrong or are they just not that durable, I did like that they rode high in the riffles, easy on my old eyes.

I use the ones from orvis that are foam with a slit in the side and a rubber band running through the center. You just put your leader in the slit and twist the rubberband ends in opposite directions. It stays put, I can take it off and reuse it, it floats good, and I can put it on after I tie my fly on. Alot of times I'll be so excited when I'm rigging up that I'll rig everything up, but forget an indicator and when I was using the froghair ones, this would mean cutting off and starting over.

Previously I've recommended the twist on floats as some of the best I've used, also a close second are the floats that Cabelas offers. Well I tried a Thingamabobber over the weekend that I was given to try and I've got to say I'm hooked. They cast great, turn over easily and make mending your line much easier too. Like Tom mentioned, they go on very easily.

I'm converted, Thingamabobber is now my go to float, I've just got to get past the name! HA!

When I saw Jack using a thingamabobber, I decided that they must not be expensive, and they are probably good to use. I'll be picking some up soon.

Just wanted to report a jack bobber sighting. :lol: :p

jayL wrote:
When I saw Jack using a thingamabobber, I decided that they must not be expensive, and they are probably good to use. I'll be picking some up soon.

Just wanted to report a jack bobber sighting. :lol: :p

Jay, you were not very discerning in your observations. The pink item on my leader was a thinga-ma-indicator. The price was right, too, because I actually harvested that from some streamside vegetation the weekend before along with a couple egg patterns, some splitshot and a nice large red egg hook that I used to tie a streamer in between trips.

I do like that thinga-ma-indicator very much: floats well, casts easy and dips below the surface with very little effort on the fishes part, allowing you to set the hook before the fish realizes something human-y is going on.

For the curious:

thingamabobber.jpg

JackM wrote:
Jay, you were not very discerning in your observations. The pink item on my leader was a thinga-ma-indicator. The price was right, too, because I actually harvested that from some streamside vegetation the weekend before along with a couple egg patterns, some splitshot and a nice large red egg hook that I used to tie a streamer in between trips.

thingamabobber.jpg

yes Jay, Jack is the stream side version of the guy with the shopping cart full of empty cans...his thrift is legendary but second, in my opinion, to his hardware recovery skills.

How did you guys rig up your Thingamabobber?

"fold" the leader and put the loop thru the hole and then put the bobber thru the loop.

Yep. Just like one of those poly indicators.

I have not used the thinga-ma-indicator yet...I still am going with the loons biostrike. It just seems more convenient when hopping from pool-pool, depth-depth, When adjusting the depth of your drift. I am real anal about kinks, knots or any other infractions on my leader.

Don;t want to kink up your leader..try this...
http://www.animatedknots.com/prusik/index.php

that's a great idea! could use a small piece of backing for that. I think I might try it!

man this site never ceases to amaze me! always a great idea!

Tom,

Great knot.

http://www.animatedknots.com/prusik/index.php

I'm going to give it a try to make a dropper rig. Instead of using the tag ends of a blood or surgeons knot for a dropper off the main line, I'd like to tie a loop on the end of a short dropper section and attach it using that knot just above my tippet knot. It would seem to keep the dropper line standing out at 90* to the main line to minimize tangles. Also, rather than cutting and retying a blood knot with a long tag end for the droppper, it looks like an easier way to replace a dropper.

Good stuff, thanks.

Back