Stream etiquette??

FWIW, even if a dude did high water me, if he apologized, I certainly would acknowledge him and be courteous. The problem isn't that he got high-holed. The problem is, he was a jack-donkey when you tried to apologize.

This is not a stream, it's the Lehigh. He may have had a wader malfunction or a digestive issue from a bad meal. Jack, you are such an instigator.

Look up, to the bottom of your post.

Well I must be that guy than. 75 yards is plentry of distance. Now I have to be concerned with where he is going as well. If I got this right I walk down to the stream and there is a guy 75 yards downstream. I walk in and start fishing and I'm guilty of crowding him because he is 75 YARDS, not feet, YARDS away and may want to wade upstream. Why is this rule unheard of among spin fishermen. Sorry guys but etiquette has nothing to do with this scenario. It is an unbelievable sense of entitlement.

Definitely...1st come 1st serve haha! 75 yards is not even a football field. Not that far. There are streams (many streams) I won't even fish if I see another car parked anywhere along it. I always have a plan B, C, or D for such occasions.

Now the Lehigh River? It's big water. It would take me dramatically longer to cover that distance there, or Pine Creek, Penns, etc. Not to mention, you can wade through portions of these "streams" and not put the hole down. Very different than say, the LL or other medium to small streams.

"Some people can cover 70 yards in ten minutes. They have a right to feel you are fishing for their trout."

They have a right to feel any way they want, but the reality is they aren't their trout, nor is it their stretch. The more ground I cover, the less solitude I expect to find. I never move in on other people, and I am always looking for the areas with no other fisherman, but if I happen to have a few guys come in close, I am friendly and usually talk to them and ask how they are doing. I've even made a few friends that way. Close enough to cross lines is one thing, but if I am fishing public waters, I never feel I am entitled to exclusive fishing rights for any piece of water, because I am not. He acted like a spoiled little baby when he continued shaking his head when you apologized and went around him. I wouldn't waste another thought on him. He can always go pay Donny Beaver his life savings for a day alone on the water.

Just so you know, I was employing sarcasm. If you are covering 70 yards of water in less than ten minutes, you're doing it wrong. This applies as much so on smallest waters as big ones. I know some may disagree, but that's your privilege.

What probably happened was the "intruder" dropped into the sweetest spot in the stretch, simply because the other entitled angler decided instead of going to where he wanted to fish, he decided he was entitled to the entire stretch and he would fish over the questionable areas first, building his anticipation of the sweet-spot.

If there were any other anglers on the water or to be expected, his tactic was as selfish as any that could be attributed to the encroaching angler's.

One thing I try to do if I think my presence in sight of another angler will disturb him or her is to approach first and engage in conversation. You might explain how far you have walked to find 75 yards between anglers and that you know the upper portion of the pool is great and you want to fish it, unless he had designs upon it, in which case, you would defer to him moving upstream and allow you to ply the lesser water and fish behind him. If such an approach were rejected, then I would politely say that I was trying to be helpful and that under the circumstances, I will be stepping in 70 yards upstream and will wade carefully so as not to disturb the water beyond reasonable need.

Google failes me, so does anyone know how big someone would appear at 75 yards? I am thinking about 2 inches if they were 6' tall, but I may be off 60% or more.

(PS-- if you want to know when I am instigating, it would be NOW.)

"One size does not fit all."

On some small to medium size streams, you might need to give another fisherman a half-mile of fishing distance as appropriate etiquette. To fish these streams well, you might need to cover a lot of water, especially in the absence of fly hatches and rising trout.

On popular larger streams during heavy aquatic hatches when the streams are mobbed, you might be lucky to have 50 yards of stream to fish. Moving in on another angler in this situation might be coming within 30 yards of him. It might be even closer, as with the White Fly hatch at Allenberry.

If you, like me, prefer not to fish within sight of other fishermen, you will want to plan your outings for less popular streams that might not hold as many trout or have the big fly hatches that the popular ones do but that do offer some solitude while fishing.

Exactly: if you need more than 70 yards, go somewhere else.

Well I certainly received a wide range of opinions on this. Thanks.
What had me frustrated at the time was:

1)that he parked so that he took up most of the parking area (so that know one else would park there????)

2) I "think" his expectations on what is proper distance is a little off. We all have our personal space and it depends on the situation as to what we are comfortable with, and every one is different. On this particular stretch of the Lehigh the run is large enough for 3 people to fish comfortably.

3) someone above mentioned about the sweet spot. Actually he was in the best spot of the run (don't know if he knew it or not).

4) as I was rigging up I watched the run and did not notice any rising fish. Walking to my point of entry I did not notice any and he had not caught any during that time. So since we where both going to be fishing "blind" , it takes any argument of me fishing over his fish argument away.

5)I did not walk in the water to disturb any fish that may have been there (remember I wanted to fish too). regardless , in that stretch you can pretty much walk right up on them because of the riffles.

6) he did not accept my apology and never spoke a word.

For the most part most of you are thinking on the same lines of me which gives me some satisfaction. I am not the type of guy to hold on to things and I just let it go. We need these types to keep balance in the world.

Could you imagine getting all lathered up because somebody was within 75 yards of you. Now it's maybe a half mile. You did nothing wrong and the other guy deserves a life of the unhappy thoughts he seeks out.

Sorry, but if I were he and the only other fisherman decided to step into the pool I was fishing, I would have offered my lap to sit in. Jeeze, go around the bend and fish elsewhere. The parking thing was cheap, though.

Iam soooo glad you guys are discussing this and it is a touchy subject with no set rules. It's been frustrating, have to share major rivers with all kinds of activity but I thought I was maybe just being selfish. Now that I know it's EXPECTED that my solitude stay that way when I'm the first one at the river so last night I took a preemptive action.

I arrived at the conodoguint at willow mill park at first light. I then staked signs along a 400 yard stretch of river that said, FLYFISHERMAN ENTITLED TO SOLITUDE, I WAS HERE FIRST!!!
So I'm fishing and working from upstream down and see about 350 yards away at 7:30am a bunch of yaks setting up to deploy in the lower riffles I planned to fish about 2hours from now. So I threw my rod on the bank and ran down there. The jerks didn't even try to give me peace or notice I was fishing that way and would bethere in the late morning. Ignored my signs too. Then 2 guys start spin fishing about 200 yards downstream of me. I reminded them they should be out of my line of sight.
Then a guy with his dog, then a kid and his dad fishing....
I was so frustrated!!!!
I was going to leave but decided NO!!! I'm going to fish.
I caught plenty of nice bass but I sure as h@$l wasn't happy about it!
Unbelievable. I'm waiting for a social justice law to be passed on spot burning and crowding Flyfisherman on a major river. Things gotta change!

You guys gotta quit your FLYFISHERMAN own the river attitudes.
It's is part of what's killing the sport.

In actuality today everyone was respectful and shared the river.
It was a great day of fishing.
To the OP, don't worry about it the guy was a tool.

Sometimes I am annoyed by other fishermen but sometimes it can be funny.
A few weeks back I was watching a few trout coming up and was putting on a fly. I was in the water but hidden by bushes. Just as I was getting ready to cast I see only, about 15 ft away, a rod tip slowly poking through the bushes with a blob of green power bait as big as a ping pong ball hanging there. I almost laughed out loud.

I usually will just give a wave and keep going if I sense someone is really into what they are doing. I don't expect them to acknowledge me. The best conversations seem to happen after the hatch if you run into someone leaving the stream or in the parking area.

I was fishing Kettle in the Spring and an evening hatch had guys lined up where I hoped to fish. Fish coming up everywhere. I kind of gave up when a very nice older man waved me over and shared his spot. We fished all evening together and had a great time and it is one of my most memorable fishing experiences.

If I'm on the water already and fishing upstream 75 yards probably is too close. It wouldn't be hard to cover 75 yards in an hour. But you moved and apologized, and that point is what would get me. He shakes his head after your apology, he's a saa hole.

Sorry Jack, I didn't pick up on the sarcasm right away.

I would NEVER expect that kind of leeway in a spot that is close to a parking lot/access point. The guy must have been having a bad day. I love the solitude of fishing alone and know the price I have to pay is to hike away from the places of immediate access no matter what time of the year. If I do drop in around an access point I know that anybody can drop in around me at any time.

I was fishing with my wife (it was her first time ever in PA) at a popular spot in NC PA on the Friday of Memorial day weekend. It was about 10-20 yards from a parking lot. We were getting into fish and a person dropped in fifty yards upstream and made his way down to us. Eventually, he started drifting minnows into the hole we were fishing. We were the only three people within at least a mile and there were plenty of places to fish. The dude hooked a fish right in front of us than lost it. Anyway, we decided to work our way down stream and continued to catch fish.

Later, my wife said she thought it was rude of the other person to fish on top of us. I agreed and said that is to be expected in popular areas. It doesn't make it right but people are people. The best course of action is to move on and find new fish in new places, which we did.

75 yards away from another fisherman is plenty of space, especially close to the access points. Don't let his bad karma get in your way of a good outing. You did nothing wrong. The best course of action is to move on, put it in your rearview mirror and forget about it.

That's my two cents.

Don

Back