Strangest Thing You've Hooked Into?

Hooked a Sage Z Axis with a Ross Reel this past summer on the Smith River. I saw a thingamabobber hovering mid water column. Pulled the boat over, grabbed the indicator that was attached to the rod. Picked it up and started fishing with it, we never found the owner.

But....did you catch anything with that rig or did you get skunked and chuck it into the river like the previous owner did?

That was a community outfit. You should have left it there after using it. :)

A tube sock.

So earlier this summer while casting to a rising fish on the West Branch I hooked a beaver that swam right through my dry fly
There was another member of these boards with me. He almost died laughing

Some crazy things so far, so mine isn't that special.

Many years ago on the Bushkill hooked a water snake, tried to bring him in but the hook popped out.

Do about a hundred trees count?

On a summer night around midnight, my Rattletrap snagged about 15-20 yds out. I knew the water depth was still good for wading, so I followed the line out to it, shined my flashlight down and .... in the murky water .... it's white, long & slender. Oh sh*t, I'm about to panic, my heart about stalls out - I hooked a corpse !!!

Naaah, turned out to be a 8hp johnson sea horse. Absolutely 100% true story.

A hellbender on kettle creek....snagged with a spinner
A gator in South Carolina while bass fishing in a development lake

atticus wrote:
I intentionally caught a dead body as it floated past me while fishing the inlet at Ocean City Md. He had drowned three days earlier. I figured I should try to recover the body which I did.

:-o

Dang.

Someone may have mentioned this earlier, but at a recent PAFF jam one of our folks reeled in the fishing license of another PAFFer who had lost it earlier in the day. I thought that was pretty amazing.

So about 10 years ago myself along with two other of my fishing buddies headed to Erie for steelhead in December. It was the last day and we where fishing Elk Creek down near the mouth and was not having the best of days. It was cold and snowing and had no fish landed. I kept switching places with my one buddy and then finally I get a hookup.

So while playing this steelhead I noticed something red coming out of the water. Low and behold I hooked a stringer that someone had lost with a steelhead still attached. After landing the fish without hooking him we removed the stringer and let him swim off. Needless to say with laughed all the way home

A dobson fly on a BWO on Little Schuylkill

A tern off the fishing wharf in Naples Florida

From a rowboat my friend hooked my spinning pole that I dropped at the bottom of 30 feet of crystal clear water in May on Lake Wallenpaupack

Caught my thumb, Limits of leaves and branch trout, and I caught my buddy swirling in an eddy face down after he slipped in(it was late fall and his waders filled up and he could not flip over, I saved his life).

A nice brown (for Valley) with a fish in its mouth

Attachments

• IMG_4473.JPG
    IMG_4473.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 5
Don’t know if it’s strange but a couple snapping turtles. Was fishing a couple days ago hooked a live clam that clamped down on my fly.

Lake Sturgeon. Seagulls (with a spinning rod). Cows. Pretty much anyone who has ever been in the rowers seat of my drift boat. Pierced my own ear the first day I used a two handed rod.

Salmon fishing with my sons in Michigan I caught an entire rod and reel. Nice old Mitchell 306. Still have it on a shelf to remind me of that fishing trip with my sons.

My upper lip with a spinner out in the back woods in New Zealand. fortunately there were some Kiwi's there and one of them got the hook out . He rolled my lip around the barb till the point came out. It never swelled or bled much. LUCKY!! GG

Aside from the typical frogs, turtles, and crayfish, I've caught a few odd things over 40 years of fly fishing.

Two bats. Both were hooked in the wing and were successfully released.

Boogie board that got away from a swimmer on the Yough.
I actually cast to it as it was floating downstream, set the hook, and swung it to shore.

Bikini top in Lake Arthur. Out of common courtesy, I tried really hard to find the owner, unsuccessfully.

I caught a burbot on a fly while fishing dry flies on a pond in Mn once during the summer. That's pretty unusual for a burbot.
Caught a bat once in the mouth, it was really tricky getting that animal off the hook. I've also caught 3 ducks. Once saw a large brookie take a frog of the bank when fishing a brookie stream in Schuylkill County.

Back