Stonecats

I forgot to mention earlier, we would sometimes take a 3lb. hammer with us while catching hellgramites and stonies. If you strike a larger flat rock with the hammer and have a trout net handy, pull up the rock and the stunned stonie will just float into your net.

Biggie wrote:
I forgot to mention earlier, we would sometimes take a 3lb. hammer with us while catching hellgramites and stonies. If you strike a larger flat rock with the hammer and have a trout net handy, pull up the rock and the stunned stonie will just float into your net.

^ used to do that back-in-the-day, but was told by the WCO that it was illegal.

Methinks these might work pretty well at night too, for non WW species. They meld a pusher type fly with a streamer type fly... Will report back if I get a chance to tie a few up and fish them.

Methinks these might work pretty well at night too, for non WW species. They meld a pusher type fly with a streamer type fly... Will report back if I get a chance to tie a few up and fish them.

Yes. In all actuality I had been fishing a conrad sculpin at big spring and then heading to the Connie with the same fly and hammering fish. It certainly passes for both and the deer hair head pushes a lot of water. Nothing like taking a 20" bow and then a 16" smallie with in an hour apart on the same fly.

Smallie fought harder ;)

No doubt that a fly like this would probably be a good trout fly as well - the large head and whiskers would indeed be a "pusher" and attractant for big browns at night. As Sal notes, the profile would likely be suggestive of a sculpin, which is, of course, similar. In essence, a pattern with these characteristics is similar to the large trout streamers with bulky, wool heads popularized by Kelly Galloup and similar designs.

Madtoms are typically found up WW streams to where they start to transition to trout water - think the lower ends of a larger trout stream that gets warm in summer and where one would expect to get a big brown at night. Trout in those areas would likely key on a stonecat. Up in colder water, like the CV limestoners, madtoms are rare or non-existent.

Overall, stonecats are prey for bass and WW species, but a fly tied with these characteristics would be a good trout streamer. Personally, I like my trout streamers to have a hook much further back in the fly to get good hook-ups. For bass, a fly with a hook in the forward third of the body sticks well...but would probably miss some trout, especially smaller ones.

muddler minnow with a flat head and colors to match

Back