Stone Nymphs

O

od354

I was wondering what was the best technique for fishing with larger Stone Nymphs? Also, what time of year are stone nymphs hatching? Thanks!

Without question the best way to fish them is high sticking them through pocket water or riffles where they live. Sometimes I'll put them two feet below a stimulator if fishing across many currents. The stimulater acts as the indicator, bobber or whatever you want to call it...but most importantly, it keeps the line out of the water across the multiple currents. If the line from rod to stimulator begins to tak drag you can simply pick it off the water with little movement to the stimulator or nymph. Mend as it drifts by for a natural drift. Sometimes when the stiulator hops a little it draws violent strikes.

Maurice

I assume that when you say stone nymphs, you mean Stone Flies? There are species of Stone Flies that hatch throughout the year. Right now and through the summer you have Yellow and Lime Sallies, yellow a # 14 and Lime a # 16. Later in the summer and into the fall you'll find there are few Stone Flies hatching, but because they typically remain in the streams for up to 3 years Stone Fly Nymphs are available to trout year round. You'll have to study up on them beause there are quite a few and it depnds on where you are fishing as to what species you'll find.

Back