stone fly

Great looking fly !!!!!!!!!!!!
You are right on Shreiners heels !!!!!!!!!!!!

Henry, He's been chasin me for years

Looking at that fly makes me feel like Garth from Wayne's World...I'm not worthy...I'm not worthy...that fly is freakin awesome...could never bring myself to tie one on my tippet though...if so...you know it would end up in a branch over a 12' hole...on the first cast...

Boss

Boss,

Its really not that bad.

I tie something very similar and the ones I fish with take about 20 minutes. I know it's a lot of time for a fly, but it is what it is.

I have enough flies that I tie just to tie; for the art of it.

If I were to tie my stonefly nymph for a competition I would spend around an hour on it.

It's really a simple pattern, just many steps.

My buddy Jeff saw Sandfly's Red Baron stone in person at the shop and said, "Woooow!!!", excitedly.

And he's a bait guy. ;-)

What are the wing pads? I might tie one this weekend to see how I do.

The orginal one looks like swiss straw.

I was there today and sandfly and flytyingfred were bleaching and dying all kinds of stuff. looked like a meth lab going on....LOL...

Bob showed me the fly and he uses 2 different things for the wing pads. swiss strw and BMFS hen burnt hackle. he did one with raffia in a wing burner really cool to watch. I ordered a dozen with the raffia and hen hackle for the feet for next year.

Thanks for the info. It looks good.

I think I'll sub in swiss straw + thin skin, as that's what I have.

snuffy wish I would have been there when you came. You didnt get to see the elk and bear hairs we bleached they came out terrific. We were experimenting with lots of things and all came out surprisingly well. I dont think the smell is that bad but Bob couldnt take it too much chlorine he said.

I like to burn gloden stone thin skin for mine.
When it starts to melt, use your bodkin to pressthe gooie plastic into the depessions of the wing burner.

Back