Stone Clinger Nymphs

Well I have caught countless browns on those same stones in NY. But I guess they don't work. Maybe I should have tied them with feathers. I would bet you have never fished a realistic.

OldLefty wrote:
Fly-tying is a game of creativity and compromise and the fly-tyer has the freedom to choose from many options. We can tie to suggest or we can tie to imitate. There's a bunch of space in between. I like to suggest particular characteristics of the particular nymph I'm tying to represent a specific critter.

There are some nymphs which have a more pronounced taper to their abdomen than others. Some have very prominent gills while others have robust legs. Some are very flat while others are somewhat flat.

While I really find Oliver Edwards' nymphs appealing to the eye I don't believe they produce more fish than some other ties. One comment I must make is directed to something that was said earlier. I believe size, shape and color are important. I also believe that incorporating materials that move/can be moved by the current can enhance the effectiveness of a pattern; however, I believe that the movement should be in the area of the nymph where the trout are accustomed to see that movement as in gills and legs. In larger patterns enhancement can be in the form of an articulated (wiggle) nymph pattern. Bottom line is, it's up to the tyer/fisher. We have a common goal in this pursuit: to fool the trout!

So much of this is tyer/fisher speculation and using a little logic.
I've included an example of a real Epeorus pleuralis nymph and an imitation.

Thats a nice fly Dave! What is the material you used for the tail? I would guess pheasant, but the barring is not usually that pronounced at the tip.
Mike.

Mike, the tails on that pattern are natural woodduck. I also use pheasant for the tails. Depends on which mood I'm in.;-)

Back