STOLEN GEAR

• Thread starter HighStickNympher47c
  • Start date
Good suggestions bamboozle, but in the case of the narrows on BFC and several popular stretches on Penns, there is no cell service and for much of the year if you are parked there it is a dead giveaway that you are fishing. I do a lot of fishing on small streams and leave a vehicle on remote forest roads for a day or more frequently during fishing and hunting season. If someone wants into your vehicle, it is not hard to break a window.

As much as possible I try to leave little to no equipment of value in my truck, but this is impossible on camping trips.

There are never guarantees but I have a few hard and steadfast rules:
  • NO fishing stickers (NRA or Sig stickers are optional ;) )
  • NO fancy vehicles
  • NOTHING visible in the passenger compartment
  • NO leaving the rear of my SUV open when suiting up, allowing someone to see what's in there
Even with these precautions there are a few places I won't park at because it is obvious to anyone the only person parking there must be fishing and I am paranoid.

That being said, if you have cell service there are aftermarket car alarms that will send an alert to your phone in which case the Sig may come in handy...
Parking at most of the locations I fish, as out of the way as they are, would leave little doubt as to what I'm doing. I can't control that, and I'm not paranoid because of it. Shy of breaking a window, my Silverado is next to impossible to get into without a key.

I had the lock mechanism punched into my door one time at Ridley Creek State Park while bowhunting, and even that didn't get the bastard in. It did cost me a few hundred to get it fixed though. A window might have been cheaper. :)

I had the lock mechanism punched into my door one time at Ridley Creek State Park while bowhunting, and even that didn't get the bastard in. It did cost me a few hundred to get it fixed though. A window might have been cheaper. :)
All bets are off in Delco...

...you are lucky your car was still there... ;)

Parking at most of the locations I fish, as out of the way as they are, would leave little doubt as to what I'm doing. I can't control that, and I'm not paranoid because of it. Shy of breaking a window, my Silverado is next to impossible to get into without a key.

The broken door window on my expedition cost me $300.00.

in 45 years of driving and fishing I’ve never broken a rod during a fishing trip and needed an emergency rod and I don’t go fishing with the intent on fishing two different styles requiring two separate and distinct sets of gear. During those same years my truck has been broken into 2 times. Always a broken window. Don’t kid yourself, low life thieves are not picking locks. They break the window or open an unlocked door. I keep nothing of value in my truck except a cell phone charger and a few napkins. I rarely lock my doors because I’m tired of broken windows. You may help yourself to the napkins. Generally speaking, If my truck is loaded and I’m going home from a camping trip, I go home with my stuff and don't stop to fish. There are exceptions to everything though and we are all susceptible to thievery.

it sucks that I have to behave like this but that’s life.

Did you guys have the vehicle all locked up? Was the gear in plain sight if someone was looking in the windows? Anymore, I only take the gear I can afford to lose in case of a break-in. I fish some sketchy areas, and let's face it...thieves are opportunists. They figure you will be gone a while. At least they didn't take the catalytic converters over there.
While I agree that it's best to take precautions, let's not blame the victim.

Good suggestions bamboozle, but in the case of the narrows on BFC and several popular stretches on Penns, there is no cell service and for much of the year if you are parked there it is a dead giveaway that you are fishing. I do a lot of fishing on small streams and leave a vehicle on remote forest roads for a day or more frequently during fishing and hunting season. If someone wants into your vehicle, it is not hard to break a window.

As much as possible I try to leave little to no equipment of value in my truck, but this is impossible on camping trips.

Agreed
On camping trips with all your gear in the truck, think about stashing your most valued stuff in the woods.

Sorry to hear about the theft - especially your family heirloom flybox. I hope somehow it turns up.
I know I've parked in some pretty desolate areas noted for break ins, and other crimes, to go fishing, but have spent less and less time in those areas lately. these days I'd be more concerned about theft of the entire car or some type of personal mugging.
It seems some humans have lost total respect for others. I guess people cannot respect others when they don't even respect themselves.

The same robbery at the same place happened to me and my buddy 35 year ago. Fishing Creek Narrows. Took 3 or 4 fly rods, multiple fly reels and a loaded tool chest. Had to file against insurance company for replacement.

I have been lucky. I sometimes park in pretty obscure places and have not had any trouble so far. The closest, I think, was a few years back on YWC when a car followed me up the creek. I got out, it stopped, I got back in and drove downstream when it stopped, too. It didn't follow me back down the creek.

I agree with the others: Someone who would rob you is a scumbag or worse. Sadly, there are a lot of scumbags out there.

All bets are off in Delco...

...you are lucky your car was still there... ;)
…and not on blocks (happened at a boat ramp in Berks Co to a PFBC vehicle).

Last edited:
I wonder what the legalities would be if you grounded a 50000 volt stun gun to your car.
My car is metal. I like classics.

While I agree that it's best to take precautions, let's not blame the victim.
Asking general questions about the circumstances surrounding the theft is not "blaming the victim" 🙄

I wonder what the legalities would be if you grounded a 50000 volt stun gun to your car.
My car is metal. I like classics.
I believe that would be considered a booby trap, and probably illegal. Creative though.

Curious to know if insurance would cover any of the loss? Though sentimental items aren't replacable.
It depends on your policy, most often yes with homeowners but not necessarilty or with limitations, especially with renters insurance.

I was once HOURS away from a trip and at that time I was renting a house and had renters insurance. I called my broker to see if my contents were covered when they were in my car...

...the answer was NO!!

However I could get a rider to cover it, provided I furnished them with a inventory list... :ROFLMAO:

I advised them that could take me the rest of my life and I was leaving in two hours...

So I literally picked a new insurance company that did insure my stuff in my car, handed them a check and made the switch before I left.

The irony of this is, I once made a small claim on something unrelated and I got dinged on my premium so to be honest, unless you loss is seriously substantial...

...it ain't worth it.

Last edited:
I believe that would be considered a booby trap, and probably illegal. Creative though.
I think you can shoot someone in the face and plant a plastic fork in their hand and claim self defense and that's OK these days. It may not be the right person, but like Stalin said, "Kill 1, scare a thousand".
Just a thought that fits the vibe of the day.
Syl

Back