Stocking delays???

To be honest, I'd be a little surprised if it weren't NZMS related. Not shocked, but a little surprised. There's a severe delay, logistics issues, and switching where fish are coming from. Which is highly unusual. In a year where NZMS were detected in several PFBC hatcheries and we were all already asking and expecting some impact.

I'm sure nobody here, including me, hit the detail dead on.

Another speculation. Trying to use fish from affected hatcheries only in already affected streams. A fairly high % of the streams delayed are also streams where NZMS have been detected. So, they already have snails, use fish from the affected hatcheries in only those streams. Would force changing which hatcheries fish are supposed to come from, mostly in affected streams but some unaffected ones as well. If an affected hatchery was supposed to stock unaffected stream, you gotta switch it to stock an affected stream. But now you need an unaffected hatchery to take on the allocation for that unaffected stream. You gotta switch both.

That would create logistics issues, more and longer truck trips, a lot of plan adjustment, similar to what we are seeing. And it'd make some sense from a conservation standpoint as well. And if that is the case, it'd be better if the PFBC acknowledged it. It's actually a feather in their cap. Hey guys, we had this problem at a few of our hatcheries. We did this and this and this to ensure the fish are clean. We believe they are. But we can't be 1000% sure of it. Thus, out of an abundance of caution, we are going to put the fish from those affected hatcheries only in waters verified to already have these snails. This is causing some logistics issues as we adjust which fish are supposed to go where. Some stockings may be delayed and rescheduled. But rest assured, they will all be rescheduled, and the overall state allocation will not be reduced. Please bear with us through this difficult period for the good of our waterways.
Some of the speculation can be eased because a few of the streams involved have been rescheduled in Berks, Lehigh, Montgomery, and York Co’s.

Guys, in my previous post, I gave you THE EXACT REASON for the stocking delays, and the EXACT RESPONSE FROM PFBC. It has NOTHING to do with invasive species. They just have logistics issues, and they need to work with the hatcheries to sort out the stocking schedules. Once they get all of the logistics straightened out, then they will revise the stocking schedule with the updates and everyone will know.

The part of the PFBC response, to you, that led to the speculation was that the PFBC said logistics issues were related to re-assigning stockings to different hatcheries.

Why are they reassigning them to new hatcheries? That was not answered. And it is unusual for the PFBC. And invasives or not, it highly suggests some sort of problem or inability for the originally planned hatchery to handle providing the allotment of fish it originally planned to supply.

Guys, in my previous post, I gave you THE EXACT REASON for the stocking delays, and the EXACT RESPONSE FROM PFBC. It has NOTHING to do with invasive species. They just have logistics issues, and they need to work with the hatcheries to sort out the stocking schedules. Once they get all of the logistics straightened out, then they will revise the stocking schedule with the updates and everyone will know.
Given the fact NZ mud snails were found at two FBC hatcheries, remedial efforts are underway at these hatcheries and these efforts are the likely cause of the "logistics issues" of having to switch hatcheries for stocking certain streams. Read the article linked below >

I have observed the streams that postponed stocking are many of the streams with known NZMS infestations. It would make sense that these already infected streams would be targeted for stocking from the infected hatcheries in case the efforts to assure no trout contaminate a stream fail.

As an example of the above, the Little Lehigh is known to be infected with NZMS and the stocking from the Bellefonte hatchery was postponed and switched to the Benner Springs hatchery which was infected.

Last edited:
There obvious logistical reasons to switch hatcheries. Speculation amuck serves no purpose but to taint any truthful conclusion in the end. Some people just like to carry out lies, bigly.

Reactions: CRB
Speculative discussions are more entertaining than posts by people complaining about what other people decide to discuss on an open forum.

Right, why would the two biggest over-opponents of stocking miss a chance to take any unsubstantiated shot at hatcheries?

Right, why would the two biggest over-opponents of stocking miss a chance to take any unsubstantiated shot at hatcheries?
So does the fact that you go out of your way to poo poo these discussions mean you are a passionate supporter of how PFBC stocks? Surely if we are opposing stocking invasive species you must be a supporter given that you never “miss a chance” to poo poo any discussion surrounding invasive species that you don’t like. Where is “unfollow” or “block” feature you spoke of in earlier discussions and why have you just not used it if you really just don’t like to hear what we post? Please, block us unless what we talk about makes you uncomfortable to the point you feel the need to sabotage science communication Your uncomfortable with or accountability of a PFBC that you seem quite satisfied with and invested in their status quo.

Assuming I'm one of those two, show me where in this thread I "took an unsubstantiated shot" at hatcheries.

Hey guys, I'm gonna go fishing for trout tomorrow. The weather is gonna be decent. Anyone else planning to go?

Fishing, yeah, that's what I'm gonna keep doing while everything else is happening......just fishing....

I did get to slam a few more Canadas today for the last day of goose season.. You know what that means? Fresh CDC!!!!! Time to hit the vise.

Hey guys, I'm gonna go fishing for trout tomorrow. The weather is gonna be decent. Anyone else planning to go?

Fishing, yeah, that's what I'm gonna keep doing while everything else is happening......just fishing....

I did get to slam a few more Canadas today for the last day of goose season.. You know what that means? Fresh CDC!!!!! Time to hit the vise.
I caught one of the biggest brown trout I've ever caught the other day. All I want to do right now is dry fly fish. There were a few BWOs and some midges coming off. Caught the monster brown on this little beadhead.

IMG 4486 Large

Yes it is. I'd like to see the rest of that brown.
Not sure what the wound is on his side. I only really noticed it after I looked at the photo. Looks like a snag mark that healed up. For reference, I'm 6'-1" and 210lbs and have pretty big hands. I thought I snagged a log when I hooked him because he moved but not very much and I had to really heave on the rod to move him off the bottom. Look at the size of his adipose fin.

IMG 4512

Not sure what the wound is on his side. I only really noticed it after I looked at the photo. Looks like a snag mark that healed up. For reference, I'm 6'-1" and 210lbs and have pretty big hands. I thought I snagged a log when I hooked him because he moved but not very much and I had to really heave on the rod to move him off the bottom. Look at the size of his adipose fin.

View attachment 1641229066
What do you suppose the length/weight is on that fish? My biggest wild brown is a 25" roughly 5 lb fish and it came from a central PA limestoner. I find 18-20" fish are fairly common and then much bigger they get very rare. I've never fished the great lakes Tribs for those big browns. I've only fished Erie late in March when I all caught was steel.

That's a beautiful fish though. Congrats.

What do you suppose the length/weight is on that fish? My biggest wild brown is a 25" roughly 5 lb fish and it came from a central PA limestoner. I find 18-20" fish are fairly common and then much bigger they get very rare. I've never fished the great lakes Tribs for those big browns. I've only fished Erie late in March when I all caught was steel.

That's a beautiful fish though. Congrats.
I measured it on my net (fishpond w/ the inch marks on the handle), and it was 24 and change (no 1/2 marks but between 24-25). No idea about weight, but it was fairly broad. I suck at estimating fish weight (I'm American, not Canadian :ROFLMAO: ). I've caught a few in that river over 24, and they all get fairly skinny up in that length range. I've caught heavier fish in the 20-22 inch range. I guess they're like whitetail bucks in that they lose mass once they pass their prime. 🤷‍♂️

This one (below) was in the fall in the same river as the one above. It's not as long as the one I posted above, but look how "full" it is. You guys probably didn't realize I fish for these things. :LOL: Look, we're talking about fishing (even if it's completely OT now)! And I don't want to hear any crap about the rod. Hopefully Kelly G. doesn't frequent this site.

CD501928 C20F 4AA3 941E 5DED6B8BCC56

I measured it on my net (fishpond w/ the inch marks on the handle), and it was 24 and change (no 1/2 marks but between 24-25). No idea about weight, but it was fairly broad. I suck at estimating fish weight (I'm American, not Canadian :ROFLMAO: ). I've caught a few in that river over 24, and they all get fairly skinny up in that length range. I've caught heavier fish in the 20-22 inch range. I guess they're like whitetail bucks in that they lose mass once they pass their prime. 🤷‍♂️

This one (below) was in the fall in the same river as the one above. It's not as long as the one I posted above, but look how "full" it is. You guys probably didn't realize I fish for these things. :LOL: Look, we're talking about fishing (even if it's completely OT now)! And I don't want to hear any crap about the rod. Hopefully Kelly G. doesn't frequent this site.

View attachment 1641229068
Of course I thought you fished for em. We've got them to fish for so you might as well do it. I think tomorrow I might explore a mountain crick I've never fished. It's unstocked. Who knows if I'll find Brooks, browns, or nothing at all. Who knows. Anyways, we're getting off the OP topic. Nice fishes.

Back