Stocking delays???

This is in response to a question being asked on the PFBC Facebook page.

Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission
Karl Hayes Hi Karl,
The stocking schedule can change due to a variety of reasons, including hatchery logistics and inclement weather. Right now, the schedule is showing some postponements as we fine-tune it. These events are not canceled and will be rescheduled as the hatcheries continue to adjust their schedules.
The online schedule will show the most current information, so check back regularly for updated stocking times and locations. If the dates on a stocking event are black followed by a red postponed, then the new date has not been determined yet. If the new date has been chosen, the date on the stocking event will be black and the red revision will include when it was rescheduled from.
Thanks!

I'm not specifically talking about fish. People suck at stopping the spread of invasives, period. Fish should be one of the absolute easiest and we can't even stop that. Lanternflies=failure. Pythons=failure. Stink bugs=failure. Mud snails=failure. Oscar=failure. Gypsy moth=failure. Knifefish=failure. Emerald Ash Borer=failure. Snake``heads, blue cats, flatheads=failure. And the list goes on and on and on not counting the invasives we've purposefully spread and see as good. And then there plants. Yeah, we can't stop them either.

What are the examples of successes? I'm sure there are some, but
I know it is a long way from a success and more of an unintentional consequence, but didn't the introduction of zebra mussels gl a long way in cleaning Lake Erie?

I know it is a long way from a success and more of an unintentional consequence, but didn't the introduction of zebra mussels gl a long way in cleaning Lake Erie?
Lol. Yes, and they improved many fisheries due to the water quality changes. The introduction of the round goby also helped to make Lake Erie a top world class smallmouth fishery. While they helped one thing they probably harmed another. But two more examples of well established invasives.

Does anyone have the list of streams that are delayed?

Is there a pattern that they are limestone spring creeks and tailwaters? These tend to have more problems with invasives than freestone streams.

Is there a pattern that they are limestone spring creeks and tailwaters? These tend to have more problems with invasives than freestone streams.

The Wissahickon in Phila > postponed the 3/21, 4/11, and 5/1 stocking. Why postpone April and May stockings?

BerksCo: Tulpehocken all stockings in Feb, Mar, Apr and May including the SR water (October stocking still on the schedule) Plus other Berks County streams.

Chester Co: All EB Brandywine stockings in Feb, Mar and April including the SR area (October stocking still on the schedule). Plus West Valley Feb, Mar and April including the SR area.

Lehigh Co: All of Little Lehigh and Jordan Creeks in Feb, Mar and April.

Again, why postpone stocking preseason as well as later in the spring?

I do not have any intel on this, but I see the pattern. I’m now more interested in what the rescheduling will be like, as I can picture some possible options.

Last edited:
Maybe they are worried about getting the fish to the streams without any problems. Lehigh county is a pretty long drive from Bellefonte. Could they be having issues with stocking trucks?

Maybe they are worried about getting the fish to the streams without any problems. Lehigh county is a pretty long drive from Bellefonte. Could they be having issues with stocking trucks?
No, other nearby streams that would have been stocked by the same truck are still on the schedule.

Plus, why postpone April and May stocking for these streams?

Screenshot 20230221 132145 Gmail

This is the reply I got from pfbc. Hope this helps as I was curious about it when I heard about delays.

Lol. Yes, and they improved many fisheries due to the water quality changes. The introduction of the round goby also helped to make Lake Erie a top world class smallmouth fishery. While they helped one thing they probably harmed another. But two more examples of well established invasives.
I sit for governors invasive species council meetings and attend the round goby workshop on a regular basis. We had a 20 minute discussion about anglers on social media focusing on “big smallmouth” and ignoring the actual harms. Zebra mussels are same story. people focus on “Clear water” without mentioning that’s actually harmful because it was never like that. Infact allowing sunlight that far down in the water column is thought to harm native fish eggs that were never used to that amount of sunlight. Zebra mussels negatively impact ecosystems in many ways. They filter out algae that native species need for food and they attach to--and incapacitate--native mussels.

The science communication educating the public about the harms of these invasive species is not yellow journalism like CRB suggested by any stretch of the imagination. Its just that people focus on one or two specific things and ignore the rest.

Yellow journalism and yellow press are American terms for journalism and associated newspapers that present little or no legitimate, well-researched news while instead using eye-catching headlines for increased sales. Techniques may include exaggerations of news events, scandal-mongering, or sensationalism.

Yellow journalism and yellow press are American terms for journalism and associated newspapers that present little or no legitimate, well-researched news while instead using eye-catching headlines for increased sales. Techniques may include exaggerations of news events, scandal-mongering, or sensationalism.
So just another way of saying “B***S***.

I was aware of the term I was just not understanding why it was applied to coverage of aquatic invasive species since 70% of extinctions of aquatic organisms have been attributed to aquatic invasive species and 42% of all species on IUCN red list are endangered because of invasive species.

What state, federal, university or conservation non prof information covered by journalists/science communicators on invasive species specifically do you feel is not factual or exaggerating the harms of aquatic invasive species?

I sit for governors invasive species council meetings and attend the round goby workshop on a regular basis. We had a 20 minute discussion about anglers on social media focusing on “big smallmouth” and ignoring the actual harms. Zebra mussels are same story. people focus on “Clear water” without mentioning that’s actually harmful because it was never like that. Infact allowing sunlight that far down in the water column is thought to harm native fish eggs that were never used to that amount of sunlight. Zebra mussels negatively impact ecosystems in many ways. They filter out algae that native species need for food and they attach to--and incapacitate--native mussels.

The science communication educating the public about the harms of these invasive species is not yellow journalism like CRB suggested by any stretch of the imagination. Its just that people focus on one or two specific things and ignore the rest.
There seems to be so much misconstruing of what is said on this forum these days. I never said anything being spread about invasive species and there harm or lack thereof is yellow journalism. I believe the vast majority of scientific studies are presented in a factual manner and people aim to help the environment, stop invasive species, and preserve native wild animals and habitats.

I can clearly see that is your goal and aim and that is fine. I am glad someone is willing to fight an uphill battle to try to make positive changes to save species and their role in nature. I have said it before and I will say it one more time, everything that happens has a positive impact on one thing and a negative on another. EVERYTHING. And it is all people's fault. It happened at one time due to ignorance to the outcomes and with short-sightedness. Yes, we should educate, but I am going to be a pessimist/realist here and just say that things will continue to decline, species will go extinct at a quick rate, and we can try to stop it and reverse our actions but in the end we, humans, are to blame and we will most likely fail. And as I said earlier, people practically are unable to stop invasive species. Our successes are so infinitesimal to our failures.

Keep fighting the good fight. I am on your side. But I also know that the world ain't going back to like it used to be, not even close.

Back