Stocking and closed stream changes

tomgamber

tomgamber

Got a PAFBC email today. In the bodybwas the passage below. Just because it's too cold for me to fish doesn't mean others wouldn't like a heads up...if this was posted elsewhere I apologize. First I saw it.

Due to stocking operations beginning earlier, all streams that are designated as Stocked Trout Waters will be closed to fishing from February 15 until the statewide Mentored Youth Trout Fishing Day and the statewide Opening Day of Trout Season.

Thank you. I was wondering this the other day when the news showed Fish Commission stocking trout on local ATW's already.

Yep, things are a little different this year. The confusing part is that it doesn't mention it on the 2021 creel limits/seasons page. But this was discussed here in an earlier thread.

jifigz wrote:
Yep, things are a little different this year. The confusing part is that it doesn't mention it on the 2021 creel limits/seasons page. But this was discussed here in an earlier thread.

Here is the earlier thread>

Trout Stocking 2021

Only thing i havent seen clarification on is "Stocked Trout Waters Open Year Round' designations. They conflict on the "Stocked trout waters" are closed verbiage.

I would assume they would remain open, just like DHALO\FFO special regulation sections.

mute wrote:
Only thing i havent seen clarification on is "Stocked Trout Waters Open Year Round' designations. They conflict on the "Stocked trout waters" are closed verbiage.

I would assume they would remain open, just like DHALO\FFO special regulation sections.

Just curious - what part of "Open Year Round" is conflicting or needs clarification?

Temps make the regs kind of irrelevant for me. (Too old for that) Gonna go to camp for the opener. Might even fish. Probably fish bluegills until May 1st. Then try to actually catch a hatch or two this year. Looking forward to breaking out the float tube again. Gonna hit the pond at Aunt Sally's farm. Vacation and back to camp in September again. Rather optimistic based on ladt two years but I ain't getting any younger. Let's do this.

“Stocked trout waters open to year around fishing” means just that...open all year.

salmonoid wrote:
mute wrote:

Just curious - what part of "Open Year Round" is conflicting or needs clarification?

The part where they don't state with the usual EXCEPTIONS of "list special reg classifications here," verbiage. When all that's stated, and I quote "Due to this change, all streams that are designated as Stocked Trout Waters will be closed to angling when stocking begins on February 15."

If anything, everyone elses confusion on if DHALO waters are still open makes less sense to me as with "Stocked Trout Waters Open Year Round' atleast has the same " Stocked Trout Water" matching verbiage in the classification. I would of thought my wanted clarification wasnt any less valid.

Mike wrote:
“Stocked trout waters open to year around fishing” means just that...open all year.

Perhaps, free to assume. Fee to get penalized for assuming wrong. The fact that there's like seven different posts on this site regarding the changes this year in what's closed and what isn't I think shows the pfbc could of been more clear cut with a few extra words. Or maybe It's a method of gaining a bit more commission on a few months of time ????

My interpretation is nothing changed except for the date being bumped from March 1 to Feb 15 and all stocked trout lakes remained open to angling except c&r for trout until the season.

With the ice conditions this provides additional opportunity on those lakes that would have been closed in years past.

Class A and non stocked wild trout streams along with special regs areas are still open to fishing.

Seems the Pa. Commission is doing better than the rest. Trying to be the device that endures the hardships now!

Not easy, i am sure. Thank you!

Looks like friends and me fish again. Hot because of us, because of the Commission and the vision of thoughtfulness people

Us, we, are a part, face it, could we do what the Commission does. No, not even close. I often wondered, an impossible task, done right!

Best wishes to all! your friend, Maxima12

Bamboozle wrote:
Nobody is confused except you...

Yet you post stating the same feelings, I sure am confused

Bamboozle Posted on: Today 16:29
You may or not remember, but it WAS easy to find stuff on the PFBC webpage about 10+ years back.

Then someone convinced them to IMPROVED it...

It has pretty much sucked ever since.

Frustrated with the website maybe, confused, nope!

To me the regulations are clear as a bell if you don't try and read something into them that isn't there...

I'm still confused. Are the DH streams like the Tully open for fishing after February 15 or are they closed from February 15 to April 03? Please no smart guy answers.

wbranch wrote:
I'm still confused. Are the DH streams like the Tully open for fishing after February 15 or are they closed from February 15 to April 03? Please no smart guy answers.

Yes, the DH sections are open for catch and release fishing year 'round.

Yes, they need to re-visit their nomenclature. It shouldn't be that hard to come up with term for stocked/general regs/put and take trout waters...everything else with any deviation is a "special reg" and should be held to its own individual description.

Only those falling under the General Regs (formerly known as Approved Trout Waters) is affected by this date change. I cant think of any other special regs that would be affected by this.

(can't think...being the operative words here.)

If you can think of any, I'd be interested to hear.

From how I understand it, anything thats NOT labeled "stocked trout waters" as its description is open to fish year round. That list would include...

FFO Catch and & Release
Delayed Harvest Artificial Lures Only
Class A
etc

However it could get "unclear" when you look at something like "Stocked Trout Waters - Open Year Round". Sure, it says "Open Year Round" but it also says "Stocked Trout Waters" which is exclusively stated to be closed. None of your other special regulation streams are designated with the title, "Stocked Trout Waters" so they are more obvious to be not included within the stated closure.

Then you have your Stocked Trout Waters + Class A sections. Also closed...which is lame to be honest, but i guess thats nothing new in terms of closures during regional stocking date ranges.

Anyway, take all this with a grain of salt. Maybe privately message Bamboozle as he's graduated with a degree and is one of the few where unclarity isn't a factor.

Anything that is open year round is exactly that. It is just catch and release lakes or streams. I fish one quite regular in March past few years. You will get hassled by other fisherman about legality issue. I was even approached on water by gov agency rep. (Non fish)before the season about it being closed. I think he made a call and our conversation ended very positive

Back