Stocking and closed stream changes

lycoflyfisher wrote:
My interpretation is nothing changed except for the date being bumped from March 1 to Feb 15 and all stocked trout lakes remained open to angling except c&r for trout until the season.

With the ice conditions this provides additional opportunity on those lakes that would have been closed in years past.

Class A and non stocked wild trout streams along with special regs areas are still open to fishing.

Dear lycofisher,

In the olden days the the regulations used to read when stocking begins all stocked waters and all waters downstream from those waters are closed until Opening Day. That was a long time ago though!

I never understood that portion of the regulations?

Regards,

Tim Murphy :)

Remember the Summary Booklet...

…that thing that nobody reads when they get a new license??? Heck it’s even free again!!

Maybe if people picked up a new one annually or downloaded a copy and took the time to READ it once in a while, instead of immediately posting questions on the Internet to other people that don't read it there MIGHT be a little less annual confusion and speculation.

Scroll down to Pages 20-21.

With the exception of the single Opening Day & Mentored Youth and the earlier closure date which wasn’t decided upon at the time the 2021 Summary was finalized, it is all pretty clearly spelled out to anyone who has the ability to comprehend things like "harvest" and what “open all year” mean.

:roll:

Bamboozle wrote:
With the exception of the single Opening Day & Mentored Youth and the earlier closure date which wasn’t decided upon at the time the 2021 Summary was finalized, it is all pretty clearly spelled out to anyone who has the ability to comprehend things like "harvest" and what “open all year” mean.

True enough.

However, we go through this debate every year over where you can trout fish during closed season (I agree, it's tiresome) and many new FFers are genuinely confused. Even some of our old hard-core anglers sometimes disagree over some of the nuances of regulatory language.

I try to be open minded and patient with questions or threads about this perennial and often frustrating topic.

Bamboozle wrote;

it is all pretty clearly spelled out to anyone who has the ability to comprehend things like "harvest" and what “open all year” mean.

I guess I just needed someone with more clarity of mind than myself.

Wb- Well you can always count on the friendly geniuses on this site to clear it up.

the term stocked trout waters includes the entire stream from headwaters to mouth. Statement from regs I get the reason why? People fishing 100 yards below stocking point. But if I am 3 miles from nearest stocking point are you going to fine me. Also if it would be my land can you fish just not keep.

Floggingtrout wrote:
the term stocked trout waters includes the entire stream from headwaters to mouth. Statement from regs I get the reason why? People fishing 100 yards below stocking point. But if I am 3 miles from nearest stocking point are you going to fine me. Also if it would be my land can you fish just not keep.

If the stream does not include upper and lower limits to the trout stocking this is correct... but only if the mouth is in the same county as the stocked section.

There are many mid to larger sized streams and rivers in PA that are STW in their upper reaches but their lower reaches are warm water fisheries and not closed to fishing during closed trout season because they are in different counties (they may have different bass fishing regs, but this is a different topic).

I seem to recall the PFBC is attempting to correct this problem by indicating all upper and lower stocked boundaries in the regs booklet(?) If so, this should have been done a long time ago.

I saw a person fishing the Broadheads yesterday in plain view from Rt 80 as I went by.

falcon wrote:
I saw a person fishing the Broadheads yesterday in plain view from Rt 80 as I went by.

I'm not a Brodheads regular - is that section Stocked Trout Water under conventional regs? If not, the angler did nothing wrong.

If it is STW, perhaps the angler didn't get the memo this year that trout season closed early. Many anglers don't follow rule changes closely from year to year and trout season has closed on March 1st for so long that this date has become ingrained (obviously, ignorance is no excuse for breaking rules).

Dave,
Per #27, last paragraph, may be in the works again. I used to add a number of those descriptions to the Summary Booklet, primarily for longer streams in which the stocked section(s) made up only part of the stream’s length. I didn’t want people driving all over trying to find the stocked portion. On rare occasions I didn’t do it because one or both of the section limits were too wordy, even though they were written as succinctly as possible. One complexity is that limits have to be written clearly so that they can be understood by anglers AND district magistrates. That sometimes requires wordiness for limits that aren’t at bridge crossings, for example, or when referencing the specific crossing when the same road crosses the stream three times.

Mike wrote:
Dave,
Per #27, last paragraph, may be in the works again. I used to add a number of those descriptions to the Summary Booklet, primarily for longer streams in which the stocked section(s) made up only part of the stream’s length. I didn’t want people driving all over trying to find the stocked portion. On rare occasions I didn’t do it because one or both of the section limits were too wordy, even though they were written as succinctly as possible. One complexity is that limits have to be written clearly so that they can be understood by anglers AND district magistrates. That sometimes requires wordiness for limits that aren’t at bridge crossings, for example, or when referencing the specific crossing when the same road crosses the stream three times.

Good info Mike. I'm sure almost no one knows this.

A suggestion for all members when posting to respond to another member's post. Instead of naming the post number you are responding to and having the reader have to scroll back and/or have to click on a previous page to find it, click on "Reply" to that post and click the "Quote" button at the bottom of the page. This will automatically quote the text in that post and the comments you write will appear below, like in this post.

In addition, you can delete some text in the quote to include only what you are commenting on or even bold a sentence or paragraph to let the read know which text you are referring to with your comments.

Back