Stocked trout waters: one of the new Summary Booklet language changes

Thank you.
Maybe I’m missing something, but to me it is immensely confusing because of this:
“To accommodate the earlier statewide trout season, preseason trout stocking operations are set to begin the week of February 21. Anglers should note that fishing is not permitted on lakes and streams designated as Stocked Trout Waters from February 21 to the Mentored Youth Trout Fishing Day and the opening day of the regular trout season in April, unless waters are included in the Stocked Trout Waters Open to Year-Round Fishing program.”

Which is from https://www.media.pa.gov/Pages/fish-and-boat-commission-details.aspx?newsid=429

On the last link there “stocked trout waters open to year round fishing”, there is NOTHING for Chester County even listed.

So, is it fair to say that it’s the case that DHALO trumps all?

Thanks again!
Yes. As in the link I posted above, DHALO as well as other special reg sections are open to C&R fishing year round. That section is not designated as "stocked trout waters", it is designated as DHALO. Go fish.....good luck!

NovaJeff:

As has already been adequately clarified by Afish, it's a terminology thing that is confusing you.

"Stocked Trout Waters" (capitalized) is a term used by the PFBC and in the Summary to specifically describe waters that are stocked, (imagine that? ;)) that DON'T fall under any other Special Regulations descriptor. The old term was "Approved Trout Waters."

Even though in most circumstances, Special Regulation sections are also stocked, they are not considered for the purpose of defining trout waters as "Stocked Trout Waters," (again captialized).

Therefore all Special Regulation sections; Delayed Harvest - Artificials Only, Catch & Release - Fly Fishing Only, Catch & Release- Artificials Only, Catch & Release - All Tackle, Trophy Trout - Artificials Only, and Trophy Trout - All Tackle are open to year round angling.

Harvest is restricted to Delayed Harvest Sections after June 15 and Trophy Trout beginning Opening Day.

It is that simple and described here.

NovaJeff:

As has already been adequately clarified by Afish, it's a terminology thing that is confusing you.

"Stocked Trout Waters" (capitalized) is a term used by the PFBC and in the Summary to specifically describe waters that are stocked, (imagine that? ;)) that DON'T fall under any other Special Regulations descriptor. The old term was "Approved Trout Waters."

Even though in most circumstances, Special Regulation sections are also stocked, they are not considered for the purpose of defining trout waters as "Stocked Trout Waters," (again captialized).

Therefore all Special Regulation sections; Delayed Harvest - Artificials Only, Catch & Release - Fly Fishing Only, Catch & Release- Artificials Only, Catch & Release - All Tackle, Trophy Trout - Artificials Only, and Trophy Trout - All Tackle are open to year round angling.

Harvest is restricted to Delayed Harvest Sections after June 15 and Trophy Trout beginning Opening Day.

It is that simple and described here.

Thanks! Appreciate the extra clarification. Last thing I wanted was for me getting out for the first time in a long time, and bringing a friend for his first time was to get in trouble and have it be a bad experience.

This has been a problem with a lot a things for years since the majority of the volunteers are/were older folks.

Some of those older folks that help with stocking may just be past the point in their life where they can tote buckets. Regardless, it should be something that is organized through clubs, schools and even sports clubs.

The fact nobody helps sort of reminds me of the story of the Little Red Hen... ;)

This has been a problem with a lot a things for years since the majority of the volunteers are/were older folks.

Some of those older folks that help with stocking may just be past the point in their life where they can tote buckets. Regardless, it should be something that is organized through clubs, schools and even sports clubs.

The fact nobody helps sort of reminds me of the story of the Little Red Hen... ;)
I never heard that story so I checked it out >

I couldn’t read the entire article without a subscription, but in the half that I did read specific counties where a lack of help has been a problem were not mentioned. I helped in Northampton Co and witnessed the tail-end of a stocking in Lehigh Co. Both had plenty of volunteers helping.

In some counties there might be more consistent help if fewer waters were stocked, reducing the number of days that volunteers would have to be available. The selection process could be based on already existing low opening day angler use counts.

Last edited:
Back