Stocked trout waters: one of the new Summary Booklet language changes

M

Mike

Read carefully and then you may want to check the descriptions in the Region Regulated Trout Waters.

“These waters are closed to all fishing (including taking of minnows) from February 21 to 8 a.m. on the opening day of the trout season. A person shall be deemed to be fishing if he or she has in possession any fishing line, rod, or other device that can be used for fishing while on or in any water or on the banks within 25 feet of any water where fishing is prohibited. Unless geographically designated in the Region Regulated Trout Waters section, the term trout- stocked waters includes the entire stream from headwaters to mouth.”

Read carefully and then you may want to check the descriptions in the Region Regulated Trout Waters.

“Unless geographically designated in the Region Regulated Trout Waters section, the term trout- stocked waters includes the entire stream from headwaters to mouth.”
This must be a CYA statement because unless I am missing something, a quick review of the 2022 Summary shows EVERY Stocked Trout Water listed in every region with the exception of lakes, ponds & reservoirs defined with upper & lower limits.

This change, if the new benefit is perceived, along with that provided by unstocked Class A waters (see fine print on Summary Booklet page 10) during the normally closed season, potentially enhances fishing opportunities.

Just want to see if I'm in the good here as I plan on going out Monday. I should be good to fish so long as I stick to one of the following sections of stream...

-CRFFO Stream Sections (regardless of stream section location)
-Year-Round Stocked Trout Waters (regardless of stream section location)
-Class A Waters (Not Stocked) & (upstream of any stocked waters)
-Natural Reproducing Streams (Not Stocked or downstream of stocked waters)

Does this seem like a correct interpretation of the booklet?

Just want to see if I'm in the good here as I plan on going out Monday. I should be good to fish so long as I stick to one of the following sections of stream...

-CRFFO Stream Sections (regardless of stream section location)
-Year-Round Stocked Trout Waters (regardless of stream section location)
-Class A Waters (Not Stocked) & (upstream of any stocked waters)
-Natural Reproducing Streams (Not Stocked or downstream of stocked waters)

Does this seem like a correct interpretation of the booklet?
I would think that's partially accurate.

What about DHALO, and other special regs that are open longer/are harvestable other then just a "standard stocked trout water"?

How Im interpreting, forgetting all special reg type streams for simplicity...

Before: Any normal "approved stocked trout water" has its water closed to fishing during the preseason stocking.

New verbiage: Same thing, except if said "approved stocked trout water" has listed stocked limits(assuming all streams do) then you now only need to not fish between stocked limits.

If that's not the interpretation then I'm very confused on what the intentions of the verbiage is

I would think that's partially accurate.

What about DHALO, and other special regs that are open longer/are harvestable other then just a "standard stocked trout water"?

How Im interpreting, forgetting all special reg type streams for simplicity...

Before: Any normal "approved stocked trout water" has its water closed to fishing during the preseason stocking.

New verbiage: Same thing, except if said "approved stocked trout water" has listed stocked limits(assuming all streams do) then you now only need to not fish between stocked limits.

If that's not the interpretation then I'm very confused on what the intentions of the verbiage is
The key to fishing now is NO HARVEST, meaning returning all fish IMMEDIATELY to the water.

I'll add to this that IMHO spending a minute or two posing a fish for a photo op this time of year should result in a citation for failure to return the fish immediately to the water...

Back to the regs...

What it doesn't mean, (despite me seeing it happen all the time) is fishing in Stocked Trout Waters, returning the fish caught and saying when I confront you, "I thought it was OK now if I returned the fish."

I also believe (because I can't find anything in the 2022 Summary stating anything to the contrary), now that Stocked Trout Waters are defined by geography or section, the "upstream of, downstream of" stuff no longer applies meaning Class A sections above or below defined Stocked Trout Waters can be fished.

Bottom line, if the stream section you are planning to fish ISN'T on the Stocked Trout Waters list, you can FISH, just don't harvest and of course, Special Reg Sections are open to fishing but again, no harvest on any of the Delayed Harvest sections.

+1 on the italicized “side bar” comment. “Immediately” means just that; it’s not a difficult concept.

Last edited:
I'm confused. Is this thread supposed to be a riddle or puzzle or just what?

I was hoping that it would an explanation of regulation changes.

I read the new regulations the way Bamboozle did.
As long as you aren't in the defined boundaries of the stocked section - which they did seem to clarify better - you are OK to fish.
Class A waters only

I'm confused. Is this thread supposed to be a riddle or puzzle or just what?

I was hoping that it would an explanation of regulation changes.
I agree, we shouldn't try to make this more complicated than it really is.

Special Reg areas can be fished in the "closed (to harvest) season" as well all non-stocked streams and/or stream sections.

The list of stocked streams and stream sections is provided in the guide.

If stream section or stream aint listed as stocked it's open to C&R fishing.

As far as taking photos of fish or other issues, call the PFBC for a ruling.

Just go out and fish, man! Enjoy yourself and shake off that cabin fever!!:rolleyes:

Last edited:
I agree, we shouldn't try to make this more complicated than it really is. Special Reg areas can be fished in the "closed (to harvest) season" as well all non-stocked streams and/or stream sections. The list of stocked streams and stream sections is provided in the guide. If section or stream aint listed as stocked it's open to C&R fishing. As far as taking photos of fish, call the PFBC for a ruling on that.... Just go out and fish, man!!:rolleyes:
But it states that fishing "headwaters to mouth" on stocked streams is prohibited from February 21 - Opening Day. So, for instance if you were fishing between February 21 and Opening Day in a section that is not stocked but is between two areas of that stream that is stocked... then you're in violation of that regulation. Likewise, if you are downstream of all the stocked sections say near the mouth... you're still in violation of the regulation. However, if you're fishing a Class A section anywhere on the stocked trout water that is not also stocked as "geographically designated" then you're alright.

It's a new regulation or new verbiage and it certainly seems confusing. We've got a warm day tomorrow and Wednesday. Just hoping to hit the stream and get some fish to the net. I think I have it figured out now.

Unless geographically designated in the Region Regulated Trout Waters section, the term troutstocked waters includes the entire stream from headwaters to mouth.

Stocked stream sections are designated in the regulated trout waters section. If you have a question about a certain stream or stream section, than call the PFBC.

Here is a special note: Although the list was up to date at the time this booklet was printed, it is possible that some streams may later be deleted or added as “stocked trout waters” because of last-minute changes in water quality conditions. Check with the nearest Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission office if there is any question about whether or not a water area is “stocked.”

Plus the stocking schedule gives you the coordinated of the upper and lower limits of each stocking section and linked to a map.

After all that, if you still have a question, call the PFBC.

Last edited:
But it states that fishing "headwaters to mouth" on stocked streams is prohibited from February 21 - Opening Day...
It's only as complicated as a person makes it seem...

In my opinion, Afishinado already 'splained this above but...

Mike referred to the "headwaters to mouth" disclaimer verbiage in his initial post. However, despite that disclaimer...

...as I stated above, I looked over the entire 2022 Summary as finalized and couldn't find a single example of a Stocked Trout Water STREAM listed by name ONLY, meaning there are NO streams closed "headwaters to mouth," only the sections designated are closed.

As far the mumbo jumbo about the "Summary may not be completely up to date..."

...the "headwaters to mouth" line literally means NOTHING unless an entire NEW stream is added by NAME and NOT by geographic boundaries to the Stocked Trout Waters list AFTER the Summary was published.

Since all Stocked Trout Waters are presently listed and added to the list by section, not by name; the likelihood of that happening is nil and IMHO it was stupid to word it that way in the Summary...

...but they did.

If you want to be positive, call the regional Law Enforcement Office and ask SPECIFICALLY about the section you plan to fish. If you are still nervous, get it in writing and go fishing. ;)

Its pretty simple, the section limits were added to the stocking schedule. If you want to fish right now, you have 3 options. 1 fish unstocked streams as we have been able to for many years. 2 fish stream sections not designated as stocked in the regs book or on the stocking schedule. 3. Fish special regs areas that are open to angling....

It is only as trivial as you make it.

It just requires a careful examination of the summary booklet and its new additions (apparently all stocked section limits) to figure the situation out. I said apparently only because I did not check every stream in the state and I didn’t want someone calling me out for missing an aberration. As some mentioned above, if in doubt, call a PFBC regional office or, I would add, ask a WCO.

Last edited:
It sounds to me like the "headwaters to mouth" language was carried over from previous editions and should have been deleted but wasn't.

It sounds to me like the "headwaters to mouth" language was carried over from previous editions and should have been deleted but wasn't.
Yes, this is what confused me as well. I will use the Upper Tulpehocken Creek in Lebanon County as an example. If you click the upper and lower stocking limits on the PFBC page it gives the marked orange range. Clearly the headwaters are much further upstream and the mouth is much further downstream. Fish above or below the stocked section and you're G2G. I typically just stay away from STW until after opening day, just to avoid the aggravation.

Upper Tully

Screenshot 2022 02 20 at 16 37 28 PFBC Trout Stocking

OK, I read the thread over a few times and I think I finally got it. But where does the "class A only" stipulation come from? I thought that the entire lower Lehigh (below the gorge) was open year-round. (C&R in the off-season) None of it is included in the PFBC class A list. Not so anymore?

OK, I read the thread over a few times and I think I finally got it. But where does the "class A only" stipulation come from? I thought that the entire lower Lehigh (below the gorge) was open year-round. (C&R in the off-season) None of it is included in the PFBC class A list. Not so anymore?
The lower Lehigh isn't designated as wild trout, let alone Class A....

There is a section listed as stocked trout open to year round angling. I think that ends around Jim Thorpe. I am not familiar with the stocked sections any further downstream.

Back