Steelhead

Recent steelhead. Different trips.

Took to long to post the picture. Can't add it.

Late October steelhead. It ate a #10 swung Emerald shiner

sa8wvr7m.jpg

That's a good one Wbrànch. GG

It was a good trip. My buddy hooked sixteen and landed ten. I caught fewer but larger. Here is a 27" hen.

lyGEyoE.jpg

I got a buck in archery season so I took a couple older guys for steelhead yesterday (81yo, 72yo). I had hoped crowds would be lower with people off hunting but that was not the case. At their request I’ve been trying to help these guys get out after steelhead for the last few years, but I haven’t been steelheading for about 20 yrs while I was raising children. The pressure now is incredible compared to the early 90s.

We started by driving Elk creek and car counts at the access points were 3, 11, 8, 18, 15, 26. We went upstream to the least pressured area so they could have a chance of working a decent run. We didn’t see a fish in the creek and did not see a fish caught but they were by themselves. The wind was chilly making a windbreaker essential gear and that was comfortable. Saw one angler carry out 2 fish on a stringer from far downstream.

Later I took them to a smaller trib where everyone left soon after we arrived to check out the stream. No one there claimed to catch more than one and we saw 2 fish on stringers. We worked that stretch for a hour with no hookups but we did see fish moving. At least they have 2 new spots to safely fish with minimal exertion while I’m working during the week. They seemed to enjoy the day despite the lack of action.

Today it was the same on Elk more fishermen than fish.
Went to the Lake and found a small pod cruising the beach. Now that was fun!
Beautiful warm weather and the fish fought hard!!!

Covid-19's high numbers in Erie county did little to alleviate the crowds or travel for the past month or so.
A Lot of out of state fishermen.

Perhaps New Yorks travel ban is causing this.

Perhaps this increase in pressure, will in the future change creel limits on the tribs. I think the Lake Erie creel numbers are fair.

Prospector wrote:
I had hoped crowds would be lower with people off hunting but that was not the case.

It used to work, now too many people have the same idea.

Fished last Tuesday and Wednesday. One of the best trips I’ve had up there. Crowds were not bad and for the most part guys were mindful of others. All fish were caught on green crystal meth and 8mm bead. Fished both walnut and elk

I was up there as well yesterday, but didn't fish. Wife and I just took a ride. Drove over Elk on 5. Lots of anglers. Stopped at Trout run to see the trout stacked like sardines. Did see at least 1 brown, but it was small. Watched a couple steelhead entering from the lake, so they are still running.

That is all.

Saw several deer while driving around, and even saw a few entering my woods at dusk when we got home. I didn't feel like hunting today. What is the matter with me? Wait, don't answer that.

Back