Steelhead

There's going to be a ton of fish in there and more importantly fish should be above RT5 after this as well (hopefully). Also Farmer you're completely correct in that flows have already dropped to nearly what they were two days ago but still fairly turbid. It should be a great weekend for the weekend guys and then light rain on Monday and less pressure so I'll be up again next week.

I went up Tuesday out of boredom and it was tough fishing, hooked two caught one. I forgot how good those Poor Richards smokers are though.

FD,
Hope you're up and around at 100% by now. (I now use a wading staff when fishing; maybe you ought to get a walking stick for putzing around! :) )

Is there anyway to steelhead fish and not be shoulder to shoulder with 50 other dudes?

theoriginalnickyp wrote:
Is there anyway to steelhead fish and not be shoulder to shoulder with 50 other dudes?

If you are at the beach at trout run, the answer is no.

CRB wrote:
More rain tonight and next week.

There is a pretty good and passing through right now. Erie is also getting it.

I checked Uncle Johns cameras chocolate milk. It will be a few days if the rain stops. GG

gulfgreyhound wrote:
I checked Uncle Johns cameras chocolate milk. It will be a few days if the rain stops. GG

Check again. Although it is off color, some people like it that way. Good flow, but I'd say fishable based on the number of guys fishing it right now.

You gotta remember, it's been very dry, and this is the first significant rain in awhile, so it recovers very quickly.

I went on another scouting trip and checked out the West side tribs. I was regretting not taking any fishing gear until I saw the crowds. Flows are good in all of them, and no doubt steelhead have made it a considerable distance upstream.

To avoid violating my spot burning code, I will leave it at that.

We are likely to get more rain tomorrow which will bring in even more.

Are you referring to steelhead or lake run rainbow trout? ;)

Was misty and drizzling yesterday. Stream bumped a little and got a lil stain ( not to mention leaves in the afternoon ) but streams were still on lower side. Today’s deluge ought to blow out many of the leaves and really get that base flow up for the rest of the season hopefully. There were a few fish around - fairly slow. 4 on 1 landed.

So it’s getting better.

5gujn2a.jpg

Looks like I'll be up Thursday. Definitely need another good rain storm but I'll be sure to give a report when I get back. From everyone who has stopped into the shop it looks like there's a decent run from the first push about 2 weeks ago and looking to hopefully be a really good season.

Steelhead were up to and even past I-79 on Elk on Friday 10/30 - the water was up and colored with many leaves. Saturday Elk had good flow and color but was very crowded. More rain is needed.

New normal- no rain for 6 more days. Gonna be very tough conditions. Too bad.

Water is very very low and clear. Not much flow anywhere. Fished elk yesterday in Struchen. Found a good pod of fish but didn't like anything we threw at them for a while. Tied on some streamers and got a few eats but they soon shut off after that. Nice day out unusually warm weather for steelhead fishing but always a good day on the tribs.

Not much rain in the forecast. Hopefully we get some soon before the winter weather sets in.

Back