Steelhead Leaders

Yes, and be ready to go light, we just came back with 47 fish landed and 67 hooked. All on Vanish 4lb floro on 110 yd spools using black stones in 16 and 18 and some center pin jigs. You dont need to pay high dollar for fly fishing tippet prices unless you are going for big salt denziens, then it pays to buy the best.

brookiesRfun wrote:
I couldn't help notice that u use a switch rod. What size and do you like it for steelhead? How does it throw heavy streamer/intruder patterns?

if this was directed at me, I don't use a switch in erie, just an rx8 6wt. with a fighting butt. I fish sink tip sections with it and have no problem throwing heavy streamers, however, find it very hard to do so unless I am employing single handed spey casts.... they really do help with line control and where your fly is in the water column when you release your cast.

Here is a simple and effective leader and it is the only one I use on the Salmon River.

3 feet 25lb red Amnesia
Blood knot 3 to 4 feet 15 lb Maxima Chamelon
Small Barrel swivel leave tag end long on 15lb test for shot
3 to 4 feet 3X flurocarbon

This is all you need on the SR IMO. When the water was low and the Steelies were in the transition and fast water I only used the Amnesia and no indicator. When the water is up you can use an indicator placed near the amnesia.

Save your short leaders from summer and tie on line to get a length about the length of your rod. KISS (keep it simple stupid) is the best way. Turning over your fly is much different then turning over your rig.

Back