steams where you didnt find trout

k-bob

k-bob

here's one. good pH even at higher flow, low conductivity, bigger nearby streams have ST. dry at mouth, with nicer pools upstream. doubt it's water temps. my guess: floods or drought whack fish populations, and given dry/underground state at lower levels, they don't get back.

that's ok, I hike to fish, and this just became a nice hike. or I missed the brookies that are there!

Attachments

• 18878496879_03f8285aba.jpg
    18878496879_03f8285aba.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 35
I doubt it's floods. I have surveyed brookie streams within a week after substantial, very damaging ( to stream habitat ) hurricane related floods have occurred, and although few ST have remained, they were still present. A few is enough to rebuild a population. I also know of populations that have returned to dry streams within a year or two if access to the streams was not blocked; nevertheless, of those two possibilities, I would say a frequently dry channel would be the most likely candidate.

"I have surveyed brookie streams within a week after substantial, very damaging ( to stream habitat ) hurricane related floods have occurred, and although few ST have remained, they were still present. A few is enough to rebuild a population. I also know of populations that have returned to dry streams within a year or two if access to the streams was not blocked; nevertheless, of those two possibilities, I would say a frequently dry channel would be the most likely candidate."

Thanks Mike, I know you have a great deal of experience. For what its worth, a dry channel makes sense to me as the reason for no/low brookies. Access to the bigger creek downstream looked unlikely. I started at the mouth, where the trib was braided and down to nothing for maybe 50-100 yards...almost didnt walk it.

was a great hike, stream looked cool with recent rains.

The only stream I've ever fished and did not see/catch a trout in was EB of Fishing Creek a long time ago. I've heard it's a "dead stream", while others have spoken of a few remnant brookies that can still be caught. I have to say it's a beautiful "looking" stream though.

Toms Creek.

Fished it once, but I hike along it with the dog all the time. I have yet to see evidence of fish.

I like to try very small streams... the one shown here drains only about 2/3 of a sq mi, but it is very steep, 10+% gradient. it may suffer from a 'double whammy' of both being small and running underground just before it enters a bigger stream. so there's no path for fish to return after a drought.

this stream isn't on natural repro list, but I have caught ST on several streams not on the list.

this little trib had decent enough pools up high, and no ST that I saw. a board member and I once found same situation on the Mehoopany trib White Brook. White Brook is one of the few streams Ive ever fished that is on natural repro list w/o seeing trout. could be the same thing, no path for ST return after a drought because there's a dry stretch.

hooker-of-men wrote:
Toms Creek.

Fished it once, but I hike along it with the dog all the time. I have yet to see evidence of fish.
Are you referring to the one in Pike County? Last time I fished it (4 years ago) there were plenty of smallish, but pretty, wild browns. It almost sounds like you're talking about Adams Creek, which isn't far away. That was an AWESOME creek back in the day.

wildtrout2 wrote:
hooker-of-men wrote:
Toms Creek.

Are you referring to the one in Pike County? Last time I fished it (4 years ago) there were plenty of smallish, but pretty, wild browns. It almost sounds like you're talking about Adams Creek, which isn't far away. That was an AWESOME creek back in the day.

Yes, Pike Co. up in DWGNRA. Usually hike along this trail:

http://www.nps.gov/dewa/planyourvisit/upload/mapTomsCreekTrail.pdf

I've read various rumors (I think there is an old thread on here I' stumbled across) about poaching or overfishing, but all I know is that I'm not finding those little browns.

I've only poked around Adams a little, as it seems to often be swamped with people (I assume) swimming back at the falls.

This UNT is listed as a class A stream. I walked a couple hundred yards of it today. The whole thing is less than 3/4's of a mile. I was going to fish it anyway, I was hoping it was bigger than what I found. I slipped 3 times and decided it wasn't worth busting my head open for. I did see some "fish" but I'm not sure if they were trout or not. They were about an inch to an inch and half. The water is high right now and it was still only ankle deep.

I'm sure there probably are some brookies in the there but between the slipping and knowing casting would be nightmare I just gave up.
qWuxgp7.jpg

I caught 3 or 4 browns in Toms Creek on spinning gear, which i think would have been 2009. Pretty stream. I tried a couple streams that day, IIRC I saw a few on Adams Creek too but got chased out by mosquitoes after about 10 minutes.

There's a handful of streams in SE PA that I thought looked good in terms of being well forested and rocky and relatively steep, that did not produce trout. One of these is the north branch of Indian Run- I once fished a section pretty far up that looked like classic brookie water but I didn't see a thing. Farther downstream there's a small population of wild browns. Another I checked out is in Hibernia park and was cold and clean but had a very sandy bottom between the boulders and nothing but creek chubs swimming in the pools.

One thing I've come to believe though is that barring acidity issues, a wild brown or two can basically show up in any stream in PA, I've found them in weird places and have heard reports of them being caught in places that really make you scratch your head. EDIT: not sure this applies to western PA- no personal experiences to go on there.

I have gone to several streams where I didn't find trout. could be amd, acid rain (even in remote areas), thermal, or frequent channel dryout (worse with underground stretches that block access to bigger water). thanks Mike for last idea.

use of the natural repro list will let you avoid no trout trips in the vast majority of cases. but as the unassessed stream works show, there are many streams with trout not on the list. we all know places with a lot of trout. I like new places, sometimes a nice hike or waterfall or wildlife surprise are as good as another fish.

Here are two streams that are on the PFBC wild trout list, but where I did not catch or see any trout. Both looked very infertile.

North Branch Bowman Creek, Luzerne.

Greens Valley Stream, Mifflin. This flows into Laurel Creek, which feeds the Laurel Creek reservoir you see along Rt. 322 on the south side of the Seven Mountains grade.

If anyone has ever caught or seen trout in these streams, please let me know.

I have fished lower n branch Bowman's just a bit while hiking somewhere else.. didn't see any fish but only spent a little time there.

k-bob wrote:
I have fished lower n branch Bowman's just a bit while hiking somewhere else.. didn't see any fish but only spent a little time there.

That area received a devastating flood a few years back. I'm not sure if many of the streams in the drainage have fully recovered. It may take more years for the fish and macros to reestablish.

Flood Pics

yes afish, huge flood damage to streams like south brook, bit further north in mehoopany drnge. but other streams round N branch bwmns have had ST all along.

I suspect you guys are referring to some combination of geology and lack of bug life when you say a stream “looks” infertile, but can you elaborate on that? What do you “look” for? What leads you to suspect that based on the stream’s “look”? I’d like to try to better apply the same know how in my explorations.

tb – I want to say I remember talking to some guys who fished Greens Valley at the Jam a couple years ago. Might have been pcray’s group? I think they said they caught Brookies in it, but I’m not 100% certain. Pat – Was that you guys?

I’ve come across a few duds that should have held fish and didn’t appear to…Tumbling Run in the South Mountain area (trib to EB Antietam) comes to mind. Frigid water, good gradient and habitat, surrounded by streams that have wild Trout, not in an AMD area…but I suspect poor localized geology. Lots of fine, bright white sand and white rocks…not sure what that means, but the stream looks strikingly different than its neighbors. This one is not on the Nat Repro.

Another is WB Fishing Creek (trib to Lebanon Reservoir) in Schuylkill Co. This one is on the Nat Repro, as are its tribs, but I turned up nothing after a ball buster of a hike to get in there. That one’s in an AMD area, and had orangish rocks, but I expected to find fish. I suspect they are there, just not in great density.

Headwaters of Black Creek…SGL 52, Berks/Lanc border area is another. Not on Nat Repro.

whoops my example stream for sgl57 flood damage is stony brook, not south brook... try putting "stony brook, mehoopany, pa" into google earth and you can see the wide treeless swath from the enormous flood of this small stream. instant thermal issue?

swattie... yeah these days I fish with a pH test kit (Hach, model that reads 5.4-7.2) and a conductivity gauge (Aquapro, $25 on amazon). pH for amd or acid rain; conductivity for amd. helps figure things out in Schuylkill, Luzerne, Bradford, etc. I would have wondered about pH of OP stream w/o them. (also AMD is tricky, streams not always orange)

afish, my steep fishless stream may have been impacted by the evil Sullivan/Luzerne/Wyomin flood. here's how: 1) flood creates big debris field at base of steep mountain stream, 2) steam now underground for long stretch at mouth, 3) later drought in stream w/o access to bigger water. maybe I am just being paranoid about our climate, but for a usually-dry stream it dug a big gorge, incl a 15' waterfall (image in OP).

tb – I want to say I remember talking to some guys who fished Greens Valley at the Jam a couple years ago. Might have been pcray’s group? I think they said they caught Brookies in it, but I’m not 100% certain. Pat – Was that you guys?

Yeah, that was us. And we did NOT catch brookies in it. Plenty of holding water, just didn't move a fish. We fished upstream from where Laurel comes in. We did hit Laurel for a minute or two and caught fish there.

Now that the new mapping thing is out, and shows the stream class, it looks like Greens Valley where we fished it is class D. I won't claim there were zero fish, but I'm guessing not many, and combined with a severe rhodo tunnel effect, we just didn't catch them. But if we had gone downstream, it may have been better in terms of # of fish. We went the wrong way.

I suspect you guys are referring to some combination of geology and lack of bug life when you say a stream “looks” infertile, but can you elaborate on that? What do you “look” for? What leads you to suspect that based on the stream’s “look”?

Obviously "orange" is a bad sign, lol. But aside from AMD, many of the poor streams I've fished are acidic from a combination of acid rain and a lack of buffering, and that's the true reason for the poorness. You will find a lack of bug life, not even all the little dancing midges and so forth that you see elsewhere on the water. It can be midsummer but the stream gives you that January "dead" feel. There's not even a biologic film on the rocks.

As for fertility, note that pretty much all streams which are acidic (for acid rain reasons) are also infertile. Because fertility and buffering go together. That said, not all infertile streams are overly acidic. Infertile streams which are not too acidic do tend to hold fish, and sometimes fish very well. Structure is the #1 factor regarding size and number of fish in these streams. But given the same structure, fish will tend to run smaller on less fertile waters.

Fertility can often be judged by common sense as well as water color. Infertile streams often have that absolutely, jaw droppingly crystal clear water, where every color shade on every rock even at 3 or 4 ft deep can be distinguished. I think we instinctively notice rock types too, even if we don't know the real geology.

If it happens to be class A, the class A list gives T_Alk, which is the best measure. This is not pH. You can have very low alkalinity and still not be acidic. It is essentially a measure of the buffering capability, which tells you how much acid has to be added to move the pH a fixed amount. But even so, if no acid is added, the pH doesn't move. And while acid rain affects everywhere, some areas have far more acidic rain than others, and it can be quite localized.

T_Alk < 10 is infertile. Most freestoners are in the teens and 20's, and richer freestoners can get up to numbers like 30, 40, even 50 (generally bigger valley streams). Limestone influenced streams are generally 100+, and "pure" limestoners will often be in the neighborhood of 200, for comparison.

But I will almost never blame fertility alone for a total lack of fish. Acid, yes. And fertility leads to resistance to that. But acid is still the cause. Other causes include summer water temperatures, streams drying up, and other forms of pollution. In rare occasions, the stream CAN hold fish but for some reason they got wiped out at some point, and never recovered due to a lack of a connection with a breeding population.

In most cases, when you have a situation where one stream has fish and a neighboring, seemingly identical stream does not, the cause is acid rain, and the reason for the difference is natural buffering capability based on the rock strata the respective streams flow through. Even a short distance through a more soluable rock will make a stream more resistant to the effects of acid rain. That's why limestone sanding works.

I agree that acidity, whether driven by acid deposition or amd, is a major factor in "trout/no trout" on streams. ... and also in "if trout, what trout?" on streams ... just wish I had sprung for a good pH test kit earlier...

pcray: "I will almost never blame fertility alone for a total lack of fish."

Very good pcray. One of the top two freestone wild brook trout streams in Pa for legal size fish (also extremely high for 9" and greater fish) expressed as number per mile had a summer pH of 7.0, total alkalinity of 5 mg/l, and a total hardness of 5 mg/l.

Back