Staying warm.

I saw a hunting show last week and the host would put on a Thermacare heat wrap around her lower back and kidneys. The explanation was that by keeping your core warm with the wrap, your body will be able to devote more energy to your extremities, therefore keeping your feet and hads warmer.

I have not tried this yet, but I think it is a valid theory. I've had a similar experience by sticking Hot Hands packs in my overalls while hunting.

acristickid wrote:
For me, seems the feet are the primary issue. I really have NOT been comfortable while wearing 2 pairs of socks.

Any tips you can share on staying warm out there?

Paul,

I wear regular socks and I am fine. What kind of waders are you wearing? I have bootfoot neoprenes for the winter that are one shoe size bigger. Since nothing is cut off I retain more heat in my waders. The guys I use to go steelheading with all wore stocking foot and didn't last all that long. THey were all complaining of cold feet and I was fine.

Granted stockingfoot are lighter and they say are easier for hiking longer distances. But what the hell is the difference if your feet are freezing cold?

Just to add my 2 cents in on this...

I always wear 2 pair of socks, one liner one wool or smart wool, even fleece on occasion. I've never had issues wearing two socks, as long as I wear one liner, one thicker sock over. Now two thick socks, I absolutely hate. The trick for me seems to be that the liner sock is thinner than the outer sock.

The liner sock should be synthetic, NOT cotton. Both of these layers pull the moisture away from your feet. The outer wool will wick moisture out but in the neoprene bootie it's got no where to go. Even though I wear breathable waders, the neoprene feet are not breathable, hence damp socks when I remove my boots. Now they're not SOAKED, but they are damp on the outside, inside I find I'm usually dry---down to the liner.

Acristick---check out the CoolMax liner sox from Sportsman's Warehouse or Cabelas. They are very comfortable and I've found that they keep my feet dry and cool. Then put a pair of wool or smart wool on top.

I've never had issues wearing two socks. The thin liner sock is synthetic, NEVER cotton as that will absorb moisture and thus keep your feet colder.

Regarding the more vs. less air space in the boots...I prefer more room than less as it was recommended to me by the local fly shop I frequent. My boots are up one size so that I can wear two socks and also so that I'm not cramming my feet/socks into boots. Similar to the concept I'd suppose to why tight clothing in the winter is colder.

The warmers that go inside boots do sound interesting, that might be something to try in the near future.

When we fish the Erie Tribs it is usually right before the dead of winter, wind blowing off the lake, snow flurries hitting your face, and colder than a witches you know what. We layer up and wear a waterproof jacket. One pair of socks always seems to work even if you stand in water all day. I also found a pair of lightweight type rubber work gloves that keep me warm enough but allow me to strip line, and reach into the water to release a fish. If the wind is whipping too hard to fish right off the lake or there are other folks there on the stream we simply move to a spot upstream that has fish in it and has some protection from the wind. If all else fails the moment always seems to get warmer once you have a fish pounding a fly, ripping up or downstream. At that moment you forget about the weather and you only have to feel the cold until you catch and release the next one.

Cabelas underliner socks under a pair of hunting socks.
I found that ordering one size up on your wading boots will help with circulation and staying warm. No matter what the salesman says LOL
Use the same principle for deer hunting boots.
Good luck

The kids gave me a pair of these for Christmas. "SealSkinz" fleece-lined chill blocker socks. The work for me.

I got those and the gloves, though mine aren't fleece lined..but they are warm and dry...love 'em

The gloves are next on my list. The stuff is not cheap but well worth the $$. I have only used the socks with my waders so far but you can bet I'll use them for wet wading with my wading boots.

FiveWeight wrote:
The stuff is not cheap but well worth the $$.

That's why when someone asks, "what do you want for your birthday (Christmas)?" That's what you tell them. I only asked for gloves and got both...My mother encourages my fishing way more than my wife. But then, she no longer has to live with me.

Smart wool socks are great. Cabelas sells fleece wading socks that work well.Underarmor stuff is great as well.Layers ,layers, layers that the trick or just wait till it warms up.lol

Are the boots to tight? Try wearing a size larger with 2 pair of socks.
The larger boots don't cutoff the blood circulation,

tomgamber wrote:
FiveWeight wrote:
The stuff is not cheap but well worth the $$.

That's why when someone asks, "what do you want for your birthday (Christmas)?" That's what you tell them. I only asked for gloves and got both...My mother encourages my fishing way more than my wife. But then, she no longer has to live with me.

I do the same thing for Birthdays, Fathers day and Christmas. A gift card from The Evening Rise always works for me! I just can't seem to find a cheap hobby.... I'm into amateur radio also, talk about spending $$!

This year I picked up some heavy weight smartwool socks. They work great with some liner socks underneath. I tried them out a little while ago and they worked great.

Back