st croix or sage?

Interesting. I hadn't used that GFLRP model in 12-15 years. I was amazed at how good it actually was. I'd use it more but it's a one of a kind built for Clouser in 86. I called Sage one time, got talking about rods and when they found out I had it, they asked if they could have it back. If they gave me two for one....maybe. I hang onto it for sentimental reasons.

Sage DS was the old entry level discovery series. They retailed in my shop for about 125 back in the day (1988 ish). A decent rod but over priced then and now even allowing for our devalued currency. DS had a rough finished blank approaching IM6 modulus of elasticity ratings and baseline Struble reel seats. To be fair, they were built in the old Bainbridge Island facility and relied in the name to move product. Choices weren't as available then for a decent production rod at a low price point. Series was successful and in my nearly 7 years as a dealer (before Sage whored out to big box stores) I never had a return on this series or the RP, RPL, LL, or SP rods we sold.

krayfish wrote:
Interesting. I hadn't used that GFLRP model in 12-15 years. I was amazed at how good it actually was. I'd use it more but it's a one of a kind built for Clouser in 86. I called Sage one time, got talking about rods and when they found out I had it, they asked if they could have it back. If they gave me two for one....maybe. I hang onto it for sentimental reasons.

That's an interesting story. I'd keep that rod too.

Back