Spring Time, Big Stream Nymphing Tactics

Swattie87

Swattie87

Let me preface this by stating I don't nymph fish a lot to start with. Something I just haven't worked into my arsenal terribly well. I know the basics, and can catch fish using nymphing techniques but I generally find it more fun to fish dries or streamers.

That being said, I've noticed that many nice fish are caught on the bigger streams (think Little J or Penns for reference) in late Winter/Spring in heavier flows using nymphing techniques. That just might be the motivation to get me to nymph more and it's something I'd like to work on this Spring.

Can some of the pros in this area (I know we have at least a few around here) break down the basics...what conditions and water types am I looking for, techniques, basic patterns?

no pro but it was my experience in my Montana years that you are 99.9% right about nymphs being the way to go this time of year even though I preferred streamer fishing.
My experience in the west any way was to avoid wading where I should be fishing-oft times the fish were fairly close to the shore and taking advantage of any current breakers.Rainbows tend to lay in front of them,browns behind so work the back first then you can ease into the eddy and work the front.My thought anyway.lol

Swattie87 wrote:
Let me preface this by stating I don't nymph fish a lot to start with. Something I just haven't worked into my arsenal terribly well. I know the basics, and can catch fish using nymphing techniques but I generally find it more fun to fish dries or streamers.

That being said, I've noticed that many nice fish are caught on the bigger streams (think Little J or Penns for reference) in late Winter/Spring in heavier flows using nymphing techniques. That just might be the motivation to get me to nymph more and it's something I'd like to work on this Spring.

Can some of the pros in this area (I know we have at least a few around here) break down the basics...what conditions and water types am I looking for, techniques, basic patterns?

Here is some good info on nymph fishing including rigging and methods:

http://stevenojai.tripod.com/nymph.htm

http://www.flyfisherman.com/uncategorized/nymphing-skinny-water/

http://www.montanaangler.com/montana-fly-fishing-blog/2010/11/the-best-nymphs-and-weights-for-montana-fishing/

my .02 about nymphing big rivers is exactly what they say - break it down into small pieces and keep in touch with your fly.

look for :

1. cover - stones, wood, weed, undercut banks
2. a change in depth.
3. a foam line, current seam,back eddy, pocket or corner.
4. rising or moving fish.

unless there is a hatch on and you are fishing for rainbows, fish are not going to be in the heavy current. if they are, they are going to be in front of a big boulder.

I look for walking pace water, knee depth or deeper. but again if there is a hatch on, they could be right close in.

good luck.

Mark.

Agree there. Structure and seams are the ticket. You'll likely have a longer leader than when small stream fishing. Make sure your leader is twice the hood width of your Mini Cooper.

I think the real key is to get yourself into a position that allows you to make the best drag free presentation possible.

krayfish2 wrote:
I think the real key is to get yourself into a position that allows you to make the best drag free presentation possible.

yup. try to get downstream and cast straight up. then next cast a bit further out - say 6", repeat until you are casting about 45 degrees out.

you can cast further out, but your drift will have to be much shorter otherwise it will drag.

Good stuff guys, thanks.

Double the hood width of the Mini. Roger.

I'm probably about in the same boat as you. I nymph. I catch fish nymphing. But it's not my specialty and I would by no means consider myself an expert.

So, given that, the point I'll add is to pay attention to hatches. Not only when, but where. Cause the nymphs are generally in the same spots as where the duns come up.

For instance, Penns Creek, late April/early May. March Browns are arguably the main show. They are clinger nymphs that inhabit fast water. Think heavy, pocket water full of boulders. They make their way to the slower spots within those zones just prior to emergence, and often crawl out or nearly out of the water to molt into duns.

So, prior to that hatch starting up for the day, as well as during the hatch itself, mentally imagine MB nymphs crawling along that bottom. Climbing up boulders from the back. Crossing that last deep run to get to the slow shoreline water. Some get dislodged and enter the drift, or even get directly picked off the bottom rocks. I've witnessed fish "kissing" rocks in this situation, they're nabbing nymphs. Find a decent MB imitation and pound those spots with it, deep, bottom bouncing type. Those fast rocky spots with deep nymphing is a snag inducing affair, but it's effective, and I've caught some of my largest trout that way.

On the other hand, sulphers are swimmer nymphs, and mostly inhabit smoother, moderate currents, like tailouts of large pools and large glides. And they can be up in the water column. Heck, once a hatch is in full swing, they stop being "good" swimmers and become poor swimmers as they try to start molting. I'll fish them like dry flies to showing fish, which are often not taking duns, but rather awkward nymphs swimming around near the surface like injured minnows. If you see sailboats suddenly popping on the surface, great! The school of swimming nymphs are just upstream of that!

That's just a few examples. The point is that the dry fly mentality of figuring out how a hatch progresses doesn't go out the window just because you're fishing subsurface. Especially in a place like the LJR or Penns where there are enough bugs that the fish are not merely opportunistic, and instead pattern their feeding around what bugs are doing. Whether you bottom bounce, put it in the water column, in pools or riffles, etc. All those decisions DEPEND on what's happening.

Tie on well proven nymph pattern.

Throw it up and across, drift it down through good holding water, watching for strikes.

Repeat.

troutbert wrote:
Tie on well proven nymph pattern.

Throw it up and across, drift it down through good holding water, watching for strikes.

Repeat.

^ yep...it aint rocket surgery...

It ain't rocket science for sure, but like all fly fishing attention to detail and the ability to remain flexible will pay off in a big way. Little things like adding or subtracting weight, or sometimes adding to your tippet length can be the difference between huge days or just waving the rod around. Reading the water is always high on the list; the the more trout you show your flies to; well you know....

I don't know about you guys, but I want to swing giant clouser nymphs real soon. Even thinking about investing in a spey setup for it.

Know your hatches and when they occur, then select the nymph you're going to use accordingly. Or when in doubt, use a peasant tail nymph, put a thingamabobber on the leader at a length that will allow the fly to bounce along the bottom of the stream. Know where trout lie when feeding, this can be difficult on big water but it can be done.

I'm by far no pro but I've been messing around with a new technique (new as in for me) that has been working well for me. I put a bright colored point nymph, then tie on one or two realistic nymphs off that. I cast up and drift down like you normally would, but I've been adding a hard strip and a small lift with my fly rod in the drift. Imagine like a dramatic, slow, 5' long bounces on the bottom. For whatever reason, they hit the nymphs hard on that bounce up. There's no indicator making casting a pain, and I don't get snagged much. I'm sure this has some name or something or is in some book. I just kind of figured it out watching a friend tight line bottom bounce bait on a spin rod and it's worked really well for me once I got the feel for watching my fly line and that point fly for strikes.

Back