Spring Creek, Centre County 5/12/21

csoult

csoult

Arrived at spring creek around 3:30 or so. Water was stained green and the levels were about normal for this time of year. I was happy to see some caddis on the water. Suphurs started slow around 4:00.

Sadly it seems that all of the fish have been removed from spring creek. Not sure if this was done by the locals filling their stringers, or if it was done by electro-shocking. Someone said that the saw PFBC come through there earlier in the week.

It could be many years until it is fishable again, but my hope is that when they do restock it that they fill the stream with Palomino and Koy. This would make things so much easier. Fishing is hard when they put fish in the water that look just like the stream bed. At this point I will have to keep an eye on the PFBC website to see what they are going to put in there before I decide if I will ever fish spring creek again.

Let me know if this works on cutting down the crowds. I have a few places in mind that need a similar report ;)

Plenty of small fish in Spring. Enjoy.

You were lucky to even see sulfurs. I haven’t seen any in the last few years. Don’t know what the shop reports are talking about. Business motivated I suspect. I cancelled my annual mid/late May trip to Central PA this year. No reason to go any more. No bugs, no fish. Waste of gas. Better to just stay home and sit on the couch if you ask me.

Looking forward to chucking lead at the beach this Summer.

The hatches have been lousy up there for about ten years or more. I don't bother. Who wants to catch tiny fish even if they are coming up for something. I focus on carp in the farm creeks and enjoy that much more. Sick of the crowds. Armies of fashion plates walking around with their fancy gear, covering every inch of the creek with their nymphing grid methods. Not my cup of tea.

Some people just enjoy fishing and don't care if the fish are tiny.
I thought one that complains about new fangled gadgets, pictures, gear and says that "just fishing used to be enough", wouldn't require the fish to be big.

That said Maxima is wrong. PA sucks as a whole.
I started buying out of state fishing licenses.

Spring is a must see on the trout fishing tour of PA. Notice I said must see not must fish.

My wife and I were up there on Thursday the 13th. We had a great time with the sulphurs from about 4pm on. At 7pm the hatch was in full swing, and the fish were taking our pattern consistently for 45 min. Caught a number of fish in the 7-12 inches range. My wife caught two at 14 inches. Don't know what part you were fishing but every angler we saw caught fish. Also there was plenty of room between anglers.

Back