Spring assist locking knife

geebee wrote:
my wife was told on her self defense course to carry wasp spray.

spray in the face and they are temporarily blinded and need a medical eye wash. after the wash their sight returns in about 30 minutes.

the small cans have a range of about 10-12 feet.

cheaper than pepper spray.

We had a problem this week with a bear at our camp. He's a lost soul with mange on his face and body. And his eyes are a little glazed over. But he wanted into the cabin in the worst way. Sitting on the porch, hanging on the front door. Several times he hung on the door and his eyes were about 8" from mine, while I yelled at him. Weird experience. It got to the point where I had to discharge a gun into the ground to scare him off, but 30 minutes later he came back. I actually had to barricade the front door with the picnic table on the front porch.

I called the game commission and they sent an officer out to look at the property after we left. He called me and his suggestion was to spray him with wasp spray. There were 6 different bears at our cabin on Tuesday, and 3 of them had mange. I'm going to buy ammonia and pour it around the porch to discourage them. Or do the balloon trick with ammonia solution.

As mentioned, from a legal standpoint you are much better off carrying a handgun (with an LTCF) than a knife. An LTCF allows you to carry in any municipality in the state. Knife laws are not required to be uniform. You do need to make yourself aware of a few restricted areas, ie Fed buildings, courthouses, school grounds, etc.

Using a knife requires being very close to whatever is attacking you. This means you're more likely to be hurt and questions can be raised as to whether or not you fulfilled your duty to retreat from a hand to hand encounter.

I believe pepper spray is widely legal in PA, though not in Philadelphia (Philadelphia Co.?). I would be leery of carrying wasp spray around with me. Many household chemicals have warnings on them stating that it violates federal law to use them for a purpose not listed on the label.

Also, FWIW, law enforcement officers are not always the best people to take legal advice from. They notoriously are under educated on firearm laws. I'm sure that goes for a lot of other aspects of law as well. I'm not faulting the officers for not knowing all of the laws, no one could be expected to do that. They should not, however, give advice without knowing the legalities. I strongly suspect that it is illegal to spray wasp killer in the eyes of a bear unless your physical well being is immediately threatened. Even then, you would likely be breaking some laws but would be unlikely to be prosecuted.

What about carrying the .22 pocket gun on State Game Lands For the Crazy Kurr or Snake situation? Is that illegal?

With a LTCF you can carry on SGL's.

"Using a knife requires being very close to whatever is attacking you. This means you're more likely to be hurt and questions can be raised as to whether or not you fulfilled your duty to retreat from a hand to hand encounter."

Wouldn't the Castle Doctrine apply hear? I believe it was passed in PA. When I received by LTCF the officer told me about it. I would guess that it applies to knives as well.

Castle Doctrine refers to your home. I think you are referring to stand your ground type laws.

In a hand to hand encounter: Gun>>>>>>bat>>>>>>knife

I thought the two were synonymous. I thought where ever you are is your "castle" and you dont have to retreat.

Wouldn't the Castle Doctrine apply hear? I believe it was passed in PA. When I received by LTCF the officer told me about it. I would guess that it applies to knives as well.

Now that you mention it, I think there was some "stand your ground" legislation included in the castle doctrine bill. I'll have to look into that. I believe part of the bill was to expand the castle doctrine to include your vehicle.

4D8A92C8-16FD-4F8F-9902-D4A6C8F5BEB0-27915-00002F570155C8A4.jpg

BENCHMADE - when you care enough to stick the very best

That one's legal to own for "collecting" purposes, illegal to carry by Commonwealth law.

Its an automatic knife (switchblade). Your finger actuates a button which releases the lock.

Since your finger does not actually open and shut the blade, its a text book switch blade.

Back