Spots to Wade in The Susquehanna River

N

ndilisi

Heading up to Harrisburg area to get some things at the BassPro Shop as well as want to fall fish the Susky for Smallmouths.

Anyone know of where to go that you can get in and wade that are good spots?

Called Fly Shop and they mentioned location in Fort Hunter which is North of Harrisbug.

ndilisi,
The Susky is low now and ideal for wading but make sure you have felt soles and I recommend a wading staff. Fort Hunter is fine. On the west shore you can access the river off 11/15 where Conodoguinet Creek enters (northbound on 11/15, turn right at the light after you cross Cono Creek). Frankly, I wouldn't bother fishing the Susky around Harrisburg these days. If you can spare the time, drive as far upstream as you can as the fishing improves further upstream - at least try to get above the confluence with the Juniata. The cooler temps should put the bass on the feed (if you can find the bass). Good luck, let us know how you made out.

Thanks for the reply.

I did make the trip before seeing the post reply. Went up and waded in area around the stony creek exit. Fished with another guy for about 2 hrs. No bites either of us. River was nice for wading but I now see why books talk about it being dangerous. Things I have read say you have to go up more toward sunbury.

I will say that it is definitely an ideal spot for smallmouth bass to live in. Very clear water, nice currents, great structure in that area but we didn't see a single fish.

Guy at BassPro shop said that Clouser has been guiding on the river for the last couple years which I found interesting. He said that the number of fish in that area is just not what is was in the past for some reason. He said you might get a nice size one but the numbers are not there in terms of small fish.

It sure be going to work and maybe should have just hit a creek for trout at this time of year. I really think the water was just too cold by this time of Oct.

Back