split shot/ weights

• Thread starter westpaflyfisher
  • Start date
GenCon wrote:
I almost never use shot. I prefer the twist on strips. Just pul off a snall pc twinst on and go. I have been using them for years. They really stay on and don't seem to get snagged as much as shot.
Just my 2 cents.

GenCon

Been using these strips forever. Very simple to tie on and, more importantly, take off.

I have used Dinsmores shot since I started FF, and have found them to be a pita to change for most of that time. I've tried the putty, it works well when it's warm but I do like it. I just recently started using plain old split shot you know ( god forbid) the kind that is used with spinning outfits. I wanted to use them for years but never did because I'm FF not spin fishing. ( besides I already had a bunch of the dinsmores )The ease of changing the shot weight to match the changing depth and current speed is fantastic, I wish I would have done this years ago. I himmed and hawed about it for a long time until a conversation I had with Joe H. I carry bb, b, and #7. Yea I know #7 is big, there are sections I fish where that and some bead heads get me where I want to be.

I've acquired a lot of split shot assortments over the years, including several containers of Plomatic micro shot, which I use on a regular basis.

But here is something interesting I discovered this year: I started using Gremlin removable non-toxic split shot, size B and BB. Early -mid spring. I used it with excellent success, got me down to the bottom-bumping fish zone. But here is the kicker: I lost only one fly on the bottom this year with this shot, and it was to a submerged branch. Coincidence? Luck? An aberration? I don't know.

Welcome to the board. I like to use Blackbird brand shot available here: http://www.fishusa.com/Product/Blackbird-Split-Shot

I get the dispenser with sizes BB-1 and BB-3.
1) I like the dispenser.
2) The shot is not shiny, so it doesn't spook fish.

You might also want some micro-shot to supplement as the blackbird stuff is pretty large.

Great running into you on the stream Thursday!

albatross wrote:
Welcome to the board. I like to use Blackbird brand shot available here: http://www.fishusa.com/Product/Blackbird-Split-Shot

I get the dispenser with sizes BB-1 and BB-3.
1) I like the dispenser.
2) The shot is not shiny, so it doesn't spook fish.

You might also want some micro-shot to supplement as the blackbird stuff is pretty large.

Great running into you on the stream Thursday!
I also use "Blackbird" shot for the same reasons. However I include shot sizes 2 and 4 also and then supplement with several sizes of micro shot. I very seldom build weight into the fly and prefer to adjust the shot on my line to conditions

thanks for the info.. seems like this is something that will be a trial and error experiment.

Indeed, good running into you! Glad you found me!

Back