Spawning Rainbows on the Donegal?

I would be very surprised if they are gravid since they came from fall spawning stock. My educated bet is that they are just in very good condition (plump) from a good forage base. This is not unusual for RT in very fertile streams and such RT are often referred to as "football rainbows" by field personnel. They are usually gorging themselves on scuds and sow-bugs. The photos reveal that those 11-12 inch fish are adipose fin-clipped as best as I can tell from the photos. The adipose fins will sometimes regenerate to some extent, but will remain as a stub or as a long, narrow fin.

Thanks for the thoughts, Mike. They are awfully fat and happy. All of them had clipped adipose fins.

Jeff

if the stream is so fertile, why do they not try stocking brookie fingerlings ? - summer water temps ?

geebee wrote:
if the stream is so fertile, why do they not try stocking brookie fingerlings ? - summer water temps ?
Thay aren't interested in restoring native fish?

I'm guessing the Donegal gets just a little too warm in the summer for Brookies.

Why do people use gravid to describe trout, they cannot get pregnant and the eggs aren't fertile when they are in the body. To me it's a mis-use of the word. Mike?

Gravid is the accepted term for female fish that are full of mature or maturing eggs at a time when spawning is close at hand.

As for the RT fing stocking in 2013, I cut the number in roughly half,as I felt that the fish were somewhat thin last winter following the Oct, 2012 stocking. Better body weight through the winter via reduced competition may enhance survival.

No offense but I hope they all run for the river or die. We have a stream on the verge of class a status. Hopefully your next survey confirms it and that's what it becomes.

salvelinusfontinalis wrote:
No offense but I hope they all run for the river or die. We have a stream on the verge of class a status. Hopefully your next survey confirms it and that's what it becomes.

Yup. Let it be what it wants to be. A BT stream.

I have to say that I would prefer it as BT stream as well, but if putting the fingerlings in helps keep the stream more open and available then I can live with it. It also provides food for the big browns. :D

The fingerlings are an experiment by the PFBC and it is not going very well to say the least. Big suprise considering the picked a stream that has marginal habitat and gets fairly low and warm in the summer (enter sarcasm). What I'm curious about is the big browns comments. What big browns? Sure I've caught and seen a few on the 15-16 inch range but they are rare. Surely not justifiable enough cost wise, much less environmentally friendly enough, to constitute stocking 10,000 fingerling bows in the stream just to feed them.

Stupid experiment, waste of time and money just to get what I consider to be a predetermined outcome. The best thing this brought about of the cessation of adult trout being stocked. This is why you are seeing the wild browns. Hopefully it becomes class a. Lancaster can use some more. Also on the landowner posting if stocking is stopped, a little birdy chipped a possible reg like lititz run in the c&r area. Good enough of me.

Chaz wrote:
Why do people use gravid to describe trout, they cannot get pregnant and the eggs aren't fertile when they are in the body. To me it's a mis-use of the word. Mike?

why's that Chaz - i was told on another thread some time ago that the State does not stock Triploid trout, so all can reproduce...

geebee wrote:
Chaz wrote:

why's that Chaz - i was told on another thread some time ago that the State does not stock Triploid trout, so all can reproduce...

Chaz is not saying that they incapable of reproduction. He is saying that they can not be pregnant. Where pregnant is an embryo living inside the mothers body.

Chaz, according to merriam-webster, gravid also works for a fish full of eggs.

oh got you - of course, they spurt their eggs into the redd.....

salvelinusfontinalis wrote:
The fingerlings are an experiment by the PFBC and it is not going very well to say the least. Big suprise considering the picked a stream that has marginal habitat and gets fairly low and warm in the summer (enter sarcasm). What I'm curious about is the big browns comments. What big browns? Sure I've caught and seen a few on the 15-16 inch range but they are rare. Surely not justifiable enough cost wise, much less environmentally friendly enough, to constitute stocking 10,000 fingerling bows in the stream just to feed them.

Stupid experiment, waste of time and money just to get what I consider to be a predetermined outcome. The best thing this brought about of the cessation of adult trout being stocked. This is why you are seeing the wild browns. Hopefully it becomes class a. Lancaster can use some more. Also on the landowner posting if stocking is stopped, a little birdy chipped a possible reg like lititz run in the c&r area. Good enough of me.

Well I was kidding about them being a food source. I'm sure they are...but that's an unintentional side effect. I don't know enough about the reasons why they are stocked to weigh in too strongly with an opinion. Of course I prefer wild trout, but not everyone shares that so I just roll with it. There's other streams I can fish that aren't stocked.

Maybe Mike can weigh in on what PFBC thinks of the stocking so far from their perspective.

Jeff

As for the cessation of adult trout stocking resulting in the appearance of wild browns, wild browns were present (in very low numbers) for at least a couple of decades. Their probable gradual increase may have been related to the reduction in adult stocking (way too many fish were being stocked) that occurred over a decade ago and/or the habitat work, including the riparian vegetation enhancement, that occurred just prior to that time. This has been discussed here before.

It is improbable that the wild brown trout population rose from some substantially depressed level and reached the biomass equivalent of Class A within a year and a quarter once adult stocking ended after the spring stocking of 2012. Adding to the improbability is that large numbers of nearly adult size RT fingerlings (7.25 inches) were stocked in fall, 2012, amounting to many, many more than the number of adult trout that the PFBC had been stocking in the stream and creating a competitive force of their own.

Additionally, the drivers of the Class A equivalent biomass found in summer, 2013 were wild browns that had been exposed to adult stockings. The only ones that had not been exposed to adult hatchery trout stockings were from the fish spawned in fall, 2012. At the time of the summer, 2013 survey the fish produced from the fall, 2012 spawning activities were only 2-3 inches long, amounting to a minor component of the biomass. Ultimately, this appears to be another wild brown trout population that reached the equivalent of Class A status, at least for one summer, in spite of a stocking program.

Actually around 2003 or so there was a very good population of wild browns. This really is nothing new.

I also remember that when the dh ffo regs changed to catch and release ffo the stocking was cut in half to only during the spring or fall, can't remember which. Shortly before or after, due to landowner postings, above 772 was taken off the reg season stocking list.

All those cuts in stockings, it's no surprise the ever present wild brown population is nearing class a.

geebee wrote:
Chaz wrote:

I was referring to the meaning of Gravid, not whether or not stocked fish can reproduce.

Back