Spawning Over...PERMANENTLY !!! (Caution Graphic Images) SICKENING

There are other streams in cumberland county other that the letort. There are many quarries. Here are some photos above and at the location the quarry purges into the stream and a 16-17" deceased brown way down stream. Look at the condition before and after...

Photo 1965_R is a canal coming out of the quarry. 1966_R is the mix.

Additionally, a photo (1740) of one of the numerous large springs that feed into the stream. The foreground shows the stream's main flow miles away from the quarry...a chalky slurry. In the background you can see to the bottom of the gin clear spring.

This is the only stream I know of that becomes become clearer with a heavy rain.

Attachments

• IMG_1963_R.jpg
    IMG_1963_R.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1964_R.jpg
    IMG_1964_R.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1965_R.jpg
    IMG_1965_R.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1966_R.jpg
    IMG_1966_R.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3719_R.jpg
    IMG_3719_R.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1967_R.jpg
    IMG_1967_R.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1740_R.jpg
    IMG_1740_R.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 11
And so I'm still curious, if you believe that that dead trout is the result of something coming from the quarry, then where are the other dead fish (as preiviously mentioned)? Where are the dead 6, 8, 10, 12"ers? You'd think that you'd also be finding those carcasses...but I know you mostly only target the big ones. ;-)

they would be in the stomachs of the large ones

The resident herons enjoy the lighter snack sized fish...

Maurice,
You might have a point there. It will never happen, but opening the C&R area to bait and harvest like the rest of the stream could perhaps improve the abundance of large trout since population surveys show that there are more larger trout per unit area or unit of stream length in the "bait area."

Mike wrote:
Maurice,
You might have a point there. It will never happen, but opening the C&R area to bait and harvest like the rest of the stream could perhaps improve the abundance of large trout since population surveys show that there are more larger trout per unit area or unit of stream length in the "bait area."

Just a thought, but is the reason for that because of better habitat on the open water?

SteveG: Could be, but you would need to ask the Letort regulars about that aspect. But, to admit that would mean that something supersedes C&R.

Heresy! (sarcasm)

I know the stream that's pictured. It's quite a few miles from the Letort. Every time I've seen it, the water was dirty without rain or runoff. Contacting PFBC & DCNR is probably the best route.

If you really believe this is a problem, the solution is call your local DEP office, and possibly the WCO in your area. I just did this with my local stream and they are now supervising a clean up. Done deal, 10 mins of phone calls. If it turns out the quarry if discharging with their rights, then you know to explore other avenues.

Yes call DEP and and your regional PFBC law enforcement.

Whether it caused a fish kill or not, that level of sedimentation is unacceptable.

The agencies have acted on that before at other quarry operations, and got things cleaned up.

The C&R is a different thread. There are many quarries in cumberland county. The stream and its fish are not the letort or letort fish.

If you wish to discuss the letort, create a spinoff thread. I have never fished the regulated "tiny" part letort...nor do I plan to...unless Mr. Shenk is going to show me around...then I will gladly get on board.

Night Stalker:

I sense your frustration with the C&R comment and the discussion of the Letort, but you really only have two choices concerning the turbidity and the dead fish. There does not appear to me to be a need for much discussion about either. It is pretty cut and dried:
1) You either report the problem to your regional office of PaDEP (Harrisburg regional office) and perhaps to the PFBC regional office or 2) you take the approach that it was post-spawning mortality and leave it go.

If you are going to report it you need to do so ASAP after you spot the problem. Note the time, location, and any other factual details. Note when the most recent rainfall occurred if you know. That may seem unnecessary, but storms can be localized in occurrence and intensity. Taking photos prior to reporting it is also a good tactic. They can be shared with the investigating agency and may help with the investigation, particularly if the turbidity occurs intermittently.

Good luck and thank you for any effort you make in this regard in the future.

Mike,

a ongoing concern about a stream that is at times looking very fragile and has proven itself to be a very impressive wild resource.

I have had landowners grant me access and then express extreme frustration with the quarry's haphazard water flow and water clarity. I have provided visuals to landowners who then attended local meetings demanding resolve. Townships and authorities know how they get paid and who has the better attorneys.

I have contacts within TU and DEP.

I have been told to tread softly…and that drawing attention to a stream is not always a good thing. The landowners may not want any involvement from TU and the State. Touchy

Simply put…I have witnessed a small special wild resource that is resilient but seems at extreme risk. It is upsetting to have the good fortune to have caught many 4" wild browns up to 24.5" fish from a very small stream. Witness spawning. And then to see multiple deceased breeders is disheartening. Then a year later find almost all the fish gone. I just want it to the stream receive deserved care/love and provide a desirable habitat.

I will be taking action...

Quote:

Mike wrote:
Maurice,

Just a thought, but is the reason for that because of better habitat on the open water?

Yes, that is a contributing factor, there is better holding water for big fish down in the open water, and access to some of this can be a real pain, so much so that fishing pressure is pretty light. So for the most part they get left alone despite it being open water. Not there aren't big fish up in the regulated stretch, there are, just not as many. Which I'm thinking is kinda the norm for most all waters, the furthur upstream you go towards the headwaters, the smaller the stream becomes and the smaller the fish regardless of how its regulated.

NS, I see from the pics that there is pretty severe bank erosion along the sections pictured. A good place to remediate some of the impacts of the quarries on those streams is to get involved by helping out with fencing and planting projects. It doesn't matter who does it as long as it's done within guidelines.
Many limestone streams look creamy or as some say limey, some of that is okay. Quarries do impact streams especially if they dig through a layer of clay and pump water into a stream, which is probably within their permitted activities.
In post # 8 I suggested you call DEP and report it, yet you still haven't, WHY NOY?

Stalker yesterday I a peek into a stream that has to be the one referred to in this thread. I did not see this thread until last night. I have some fond memories on this stream. Yesterday I wanted to look in and see what I could see. The stream was horrible. If there is anything I can do to help.

Stenonema wrote:
Stalker yesterday I a peek into a stream that has to be the one referred to in this thread. I did not see this thread until last night. I have some fond memories on this stream. Yesterday I wanted to look in and see what I could see. The stream was horrible. If there is anything I can do to help.

Call the DEP and PFBC. (As always.)

When this happens it is disgusting. Something MUST be done to prevent further damage in the future. Things like this is what destroys a creek to where it may never be the same again. I think the PFBC definitely need to do something about this. Or TU?

What's the big deal about keeping this stream's name a secret? Expose it. Report it to authorities. Make noise. If there's pollution and illegal activity, maybe somebody knows something.

Yeah, post the stream name so everyone can pile on for exposing the fishery to unnecessary pressure.

Call DEP, PFBC, etc.

Back