Southwest PA Wild Trout Fly Fishing Buddy

blkpowder wrote:

When was the last time you fished Dunbar Creek? Used to fish it a few times a year. The last time though was probably 17 years ago.

I was there two weekends ago. There was a lot of snow melt going on and we didn't do too well. The fish were glued to the bottom.

I fish it a good bit though. Probably a dozen times a year, all throughout the year. I'd have to say it's probably my favorite year round trout stream in the "less than a hour drive" range from Delmont/Greensburg. Not that it is saying much, but it's probably the best we have in that area for a good mix of wild and stocked trout, cold/clean enough water to hold fish year round, plenty of room, and scenery.

From the 'Burgh. I go out to state college a considerable amount and know the area reasonably well. Also fish the Yough about 20 times a year. Pm me if you want to join.

This weekend would be a good time for some of the Yinzer crowd to get together, drive out to the Little J for the stream clean- up. Then, go find a few new blue lines, or try a nearby Limestoner.

@davidfin

My War is one of the finest albums of the 80's.

Fact.

I'm probably heading to Spring Creek Sunday, let me know if anyone wants to meet up!

724flyfishing wrote:
blkpowder wrote:

When was the last time you fished Dunbar Creek? Used to fish it a few times a year. The last time though was probably 17 years ago.

I was there two weekends ago. There was a lot of snow melt going on and we didn't do too well. The fish were glued to the bottom.

I fish it a good bit though. Probably a dozen times a year, all throughout the year. I'd have to say it's probably my favorite year round trout stream in the "less than a hour drive" range from Delmont/Greensburg. Not that it is saying much, but it's probably the best we have in that area for a good mix of wild and stocked trout, cold/clean enough water to hold fish year round, plenty of room, and scenery.

Thanks. Use to fish it a lot when I got into fly fishing back in the eighties,then just got away from that stream as I traveled and explored others. Like you stated,it was very scenic place to fish.

Chucky - how did you do on Spring?

I fished the FFO section of Dunbar creek today. Found a nice little honey hole and puled some browns out with brassy nymphs. It is a beautuiful creek, one of the nicest anywhere when the water is high.

Do yourself a favor and attend the JAM in May. You'll meet tons of people from the site from all over the place and I'm sure you'll either get info on new streams or someone to fish them with. Plus you can learn some new streams in the State College area for 3 days.

DanL - I am posting a stream report in the stream report section for my Sunday Spring Creek trip w/ pics

ryguyfi - When and where is this JAM? Sounds like fun and definitely another reason to make a trip to Central PA.

chuckyblack09 wrote:
DanL - I am posting a stream report in the stream report section for my Sunday Spring Creek trip w/ pics

ryguyfi - When and where is this JAM? Sounds like fun and definitely another reason to make a trip to Central PA.

Jam Info

A good time had by all!

I'm taking Monday off to do some fishing, probably in the Laurel Highlands or maybe I'll try Yellow Creek. Anyone interested in joining me please reply to this thread and/or PM me.

id love to fish swpa I live in sc, fish a lot of small water, id love to find new people to find new water with. anyone that wants to make plans PM me or text if you actually want me to read it 7173530121

I have a camp in mill run right on the yough. Feel free to pm me I am there every weekend and have several little streams that I hit. i even found a few with wild bows.

Back