Soon to become an eastern angler

3fhobbyist

I have been flyfishing since 1982. I vacationed for several years in the Rocky Mountains before actually moving to Colorado. After a couple of years in Colorado, a family emergency warranted my moving to my home state of Texas.

I plan to make the transition to style of fishing known as tenkara after I move to New York to a town south of Buffalo, and fairly close to PA by what I have seen as I study maps.

New York or Pennsylvania aside, I plan to scale back on my fishing and tying equipment. Blasphemy- I know.

To my question. As a newbie to the eastern side of fishing I have noticed there are more different types of bugs hatching compared to the west. I noticed most are larger in size compared to the tiny stuff frequently drifting and floating on famed tailwaters of the west. I have read of Hendricksons, March Browns, Gray Foxes, Isonychias, etc. Bugs which I have not encountered to this point.,

In the general scope of fly tying a new fly tier or angler is advised to have black, brown, gray, cream, yellow and olive as a basic palate of dubbings on the tying bench.

If I were to use products from Wapsi Superfine, Hareline Rabbit Dubbing or Hareline Superfine, which colors of dubbing do you think best suit the color of the bugs in the east? Specifically, interest in mayfly and caddis which I expect are most prevalent in your area.

Specifically which color of yellow, olive or brown would you select?

Thanks for the help as I head to move east on Monday!

Welcome to the east coast. If you would like to scale back your FF gear and tying there is no problem with that but don't feel that you have too. There is lot of fishing opportunities here.

As for dubbing you nailed the colors. I am addicted to dubbing so every time I am in a fly shop I walk out with some. I gravitate to dubbing that has a little sparkle like SLF Hares ear and SLF Squirrel dub. Don't forget orange and pink make great hot spots.

Hooks I like my nymphs in 14-18 except midge patters from 18-22. You can go smaller on the midges but I have a hard time with the tiny hooks. I am going to tie some larger nymphs this year but for the most part 14-16 has been the ticket for me.

Feel free to ask these questions on the Fly Tying sub form. You may get more responses as it is a fairly busy section of the forum at this time and there are some very good tyers that regularly check in. They know way more about tying than I do I can guarantee that.

Spent most of my time in the west fishing streamers but started in the east,mostly at Fisherman's paradise.Learned one valuable thing there.Even though the nymphs used were 22's mostly, the seasonal color changes were absolutely needed to have much success.That's why I felt Art Flicks little book was the Bible for north Eastern fly anglers.
Some may say I'm wrong as we are talking 55 years ago but dark grey,light grey,browns,[and foggy memory as to creams or pink order]seemed to work best.
I do know at the Paradise if you didn't have the color de jour -forget it even with the minutae.

What town are you moving to? I know that area fairly well. Sounds like you have the correct colors. You can get away with dry flies from size 12 to 18 with the bulk being 14-16. If you want to expand from there you can tie larger stimulators or foam terrestial patterns, or smaller midge patterns.

The water of new yorks southern tier isn't very technical. If you are looking to simplify it's a good place to be.

Hi Moon.

The town is Eden, NY. Have you fished in the Eden area Moon? Noticed Eighteen Mile Creek was relatively close by. Noticed a couple of smaller creeks or tributaries which flowed towards Lake Erie, if I had my bearings correct. I definitely need to find a map so I can investigate access, public or private, names, etc of some of the interesting watersheds I've seen.

Heron. Why tenkara? I've have fly fished with the typical western fly rod and I want to delve into tenkara. I have seen is successfully fished in the west and I plan to use in on eastern waters.

better off using a western style rod where you will be. a lot of steelhead in those streams flowing to Erie.
go to new yorks DEC page and you will find maps of all the water and access.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/32658.html

I have a friend that is big into Tenkara. I love how I can point out a fish or nice piece of cover out of his reach and then strip some line off and easily cast to it. Yep, the fact that I can't enjoy the art of casting various lengths means I'll never get into Tenkara.

Back