Cicadas - did it happen ?

One of my area streams has cicadias. The fish were on them. Some very small fish were hanging on for dear life. Everything eats them .... bears, birds, copperhead snakes ... almost everything. Big protein hit.

Thank you all for the information. I will try to rememeber to bring this subject up again NEXT year when it's supposed to happen 😄

Instead, ask the question around the end of February in conjunction with asking if it is OK to trout fish at that time of year...

There are extra points awarded for posting a photo of a supposed catch and asking if it is stocked or wild. 😉

Last edited:
There are extra points awarded for posting a photo of a supposed catch and asking if it is stocked or wild. 😉

Spoiler: It is! 😆

Don’t get excited when cicadas start to hatch ( I mean you can if you want to in anticipation) because it IMO takes a few weeks for them to start hitting the water and for fish to get on them.

There is no it will happen here or go here. You have to find them. You might have to drive around your waters to find them. The cicadas certainly do not need my endorsement.

From what I've seen, a particular brood appears in the same locations each time. But it only happens every 17 years. So, by the time you're 90 years old, you should be able to get it pretty well figured out.

Back