Favorite Slate Drake Patterns

PatchezMDM

I'm going up to Penns the first full week of September. Reading up on what to expect since I'm relatively new to this game, I saw that Penns could have Slate Drake hatches during my stay. So I was wondering which Slate Drake patterns have been your best producers?

A isonymph swam from fast water into adjacent soft water. a skinny prince nymph is a decent substitute. I have not had much luck fishing on top. You can get some, but it not very productive. iso's are often described as climbers, they do, but I have seen them come off mid-stream on the J and bald eagle. I can't say I've seen slates on Penns, but I don't fish penns often and never this time of year

Leadwing coachman.

Far from and expert, the time I hit that well was a drizzling day the first half of October.

What I read so far is they are great swimmers as nymphs and mostly crawlers when they emerge, That said they also will emerge mid stream if there is no structure for them to crawl on. Drys were a last resort for the most part. Emergers or nymph patterns were the better bet.

Thanks for the input so far.

Back