Sommerset Show Review

I had a heck of a time. Best show weekend I have had. I won't have a voice for two days-wife may like that. Collins fell ill and that was why he could not make it. Enjoyed see some of the guys again and met two new PAFF members. See ya all in three weeks.

Mike heck

I really like the number of fly tiers, they had nice flies, would explain, and I had some flies tied just for my conditions/preferences. Good stuff.

Some pictures on FB from the Fly Fishing Show this weekend. http://ow.ly/8L5SB

Working on my video still.

Here is a review from Dubthethorax:
http://dubthethorax.blogspot.com/2012/01/somerset-fly-fishing-show-recap.html

I enjoyed the show on Friday. Got a few deals and found some tying materials that I was looking for.

Got a Simms chest/back pack fom TCO for 50% off so can't complain about that.

We also went to the film fest friday night which worked out well for me - won an Airflo Ridge line (which i have been wanting to try) and a hat and shirt from Loomis. The downside is that I dont own any Loomis rods so I suppose I will have to buy one so I can wear the hat :)

Comparing Somerset to Lancaster - the vendor list is shorter but the seminar list was impressive to me, I could spend the entire day in the "Catch" room. I think a PA show would work but it will take time and it needs to be in the same location and same date from year to year.

I would think that State College would be a good location, you could pick up the Pittsburgh folks as well as Adirondacks and the Great Lakes region. Of course there is always Somerset PA...

I did not go to the show but i am sure there is alot of work behind the scenes to get ready and also clean up afterwards. I think a person has to keep in mind it is not a flea market it is a fly fishing show. The vendors pay more to get in than the people who show up for a deal (actually alot more ). For a vendor to show up and give his wares away is actually not a good business model !

I enjoyed the video Dave. Well done. GG

Thanks for sharing the link, Dkile.

If you think my review sounds a little negative, I apologize. I was just hoping for some really good deals on what I was looking for. I know others got some deals, but it just wasnt in the cards for me. I felt like things were much cheaper over the last few years.

The tying aspect of it was awesome, and I honestly learned more here than I did at the fly tying symposium.

BTW, did anyone else see that portable C&F fly tying kit at the Rio booth for $700?!!!!

Dub,

We all got our own thing. We all go there for different reasons and expectations. I have rarely seen any great deals at these kind of shows. So I don't expect too much. I do like being able to evaluate what is out there and the show offers me that much.

I rather enjoy the chance to meet up with so many people I know or would like to meet. Seems like spend 98% talking with them through the Interent that a face to face is a great opportunity and not overlooked.

The workshops are good too. I have been fly fishing close to 30 years and still can learn a lot.

Just bummed that I missed meeting up with so many that I now know had gone this weekend.

Thanks for sharing that video. I didn't get to go but now I feel like I was there. Well done.

I actually liked the show and I got to meet HA. I fine gentleman with whom I hope to fish very soon.

Dave, great video presentation, thanks.

I enjoyed the steelhead presentation by the owner of the Fly Rod Shop in Stowe Vt. He was funny and very informative.

i enjoyed the fact that i was able to talk to the fly tiers there and grab some tips.

I attended the show on Saturday. I thought the lectures I attended were great. I saw Aaron Jasper's "Playbook of Nymphing". Despite what you think of the guy, the room was packed and people showing up a few minutes before the presentation started, turned away when they saw how many people were in the room. I then saw Bob Popovics tying bucktail deceivers in the Fly Tyer's Room. He too did a good job in my opinion. He only tied one fly, but he really took the time to explain what he was doing and different variations you can use to attain a different shape on the fly. Shell E. Caris did a presentation next on fishing the jetties and beaches of Jersey. Was more of a basic overview but was chock full of information. Finally I sat in on Bob Popovics as he talked about how he constructs his flies to imitate certain baitfish. However, out on the floor I was slightly disappointed. There was an overabundance of lodges and exotic destinations, which I wasn't looking for. If you were, you hit the jackpot. Watched a few tiers, bought a few things. Might be the amount of times I've been to this show, but I left feeling that the show was lacking. Could have been Collins' Hackle Farm's absence. Hopefully his health is improving and we will be seeing him in the future.

Overall i thought the show was cool. Having never been to this show before, i had a lot of fun. Talked to a bunch of ff guys from long island, which was good also. Besides the fact that i was in the presentation, i really liked what Ben Turpin had to say about the hatches and flies in PA. Lots of useful info, and one guy had a video camera taping the whole thing which was a good idea. Got a couple odds and ends, and a bunch of flies from Turpin as well. Lots of fun.-Kev

I was there 12-5 on Saturday. The vendors were packed when I got there. I really try NOT to buy stuff ever, I have way too much stuff that I hardly use and will last well beyond my lifetime.
So I hit the presentations for the afternoon...
Unfortunately the vendors section was much less crowded at the end of the day. This made it hard to stay strong...I got weak and bought a new rod that I probably don't need, and also some waders and new line which I do need...
I ran into some guys I know from NJ didn't see anyone I recognize from PAFF...I haven't been to too many PAFF events so I could've seen people I don't know in person

Overall I thought it was well worth it...and the drive from Bethlehem was not bad at all.
Its cool to meet people outside the web...maybe next time there could be a PAFF meeting time/place

Back