Somerset Fly Fishing Show, NJ, 01/22-24/10

I'm looking forward to it. Due to transportation issues, some of us from center state and points further away who are day-tripping will arrive mid-morning and have to depart earlier than 6pm. I think mid-day will see the largest attendance for this reason.
As an alternative, I'd suggest a mid day mini-rally: I'll make it a point to be at the large table where folks fill out their raffle tickets near the main entrance at 1pm. This area is a little crowded but slows at mid-day as most attendees are already in and done with their tickets.
I'll be wearing the same blue baseball hat that says "Gettysburg" that I wore last year. Hope to see you.
TL,
Dave

afishinado wrote:
Suggest everyone wear their PAFF hats. Don't have one? See Mo..

Good idea. I'll wear my PAFF hat instead (Gettysburg is overrated anyway :) )

Fishidiot wrote:
afishinado wrote:
Suggest everyone wear their PAFF hats. Don't have one? See Mo..

Good idea. I'll wear my PAFF hat instead (Gettysburg is overrated anyway :) )

Dave, no need, you're famous. Everyone is sure to recognize you...

Attachments

• shapeimage_3.jpg
    shapeimage_3.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 4
LMAO :lol:

Dave,

Have you ever considered displaying your art at the show? The website photos are good, but they really are stunning when you actually see them in front of you.

If Dave has to wait too long at the registration area, he might get to scribbling on the back of those raffle entry forms. That ought to cause one heck of a traffic jam! :lol:

Dave needs a booth in the show. How cool would it be to have a PAFF booth there? Dave selling his artwork, and Mo and Jack selling PAFF merchandise. Tell me that wouldn't make some serious dough....

Ed if your going I'm challenging you to a thumb wrestling match :lol:

Fredrick wrote:
Ed if your going I'm challenging you to a thumb wrestling match :lol:

Deal. I've been known to cheat, though. :-D

LOL You probally win I'm a little rusty these days :lol:
Are going ? I will be down on Sat all tweeded out with my PAFLFISH hat on :-D

I'm going Saturday. At 10am, I'm going to Old Lefty's seminar (Dave Rothrock - the REAL "Old Lefty", not that SRC turncoat Lefty Kreh).

The rest of the day is clear as mud - I can't take more than a few steps without bumping into someone I know. :roll:

Yeah I'm probably going to stop and see the old puts also ;-)

Afish,
Yup, that would be me - "famous for being famous."
Maybe we need our own reality TV show: "Famous for Being Famous - Who is the Paris Hilton of PAFF?"
My money's on Ed for the thumb match.... :-D

Anyway, thanks all for the compliments. Yes, I've considered a booth at Somerset and may look into it someday. There are some artists there although, truth be told, I'm simply not in their league. Mark Sussino, the fish artist I admire so much, is usually there. So is sporting art watercolorist CD Clarke. It might be worth a try for me - would have to sell enough to break even on the trip with travel, lodging etc. I usually do at least one art show per year locally but selling art is tough and many shows I've done have lost money. It's also a lot of time to get together a portfolio for a show like this and many years I wouldn't have had the time to paint that much. I'm assuming one would have to apply to a jury with portfolio and resume for consideration(?).
Now, a PAFF booth might be a bit more viable as several eastside folks could man it but, again - might be tough just to break even. Also, the show may be filled insofar as space is concerned and there might be a long wait for a vacant booth. The fly tying spots are smaller and maybe easier to get into (?). Some excellent local PA tyers are usually there.
Is Dave Rothrock's presentation the one he usually does on nymphs? I agree, it's excellent - packed with info and lots of good photos.
Look forward to seeing all.

Fish, the program I'll be presenting isn't my nymphing program.
I'm updating all of my programs with new digital images. It is a slow process since I like to fish too much ;-)

The "Bugs and Imitations" program includes images of all three stages of many eastern mayflies, along with some caddisflies and stoneflies. The images of imitations include a variety of styles of dries, etc. I also include images of fish and fishing.

I hope all of you who attend the show find time to stop by my tying table to say "hi." Maybe we can even talk a little tyin' and fishin'!

Dave Rothrock

Thanks Dave - lookin forward to it.

Are we still going to try as Fishidiot has suggested- a mid day mini-rally: I'll make it a point to be at the large table where folks fill out their raffle tickets near the main entrance at 1pm.

I am looking forward to meeting up with everyone!

Dave

dkile wrote:
Are we still going to try as Fishidiot has suggested- a mid day mini-rally: I'll make it a point to be at the large table where folks fill out their raffle tickets near the main entrance at 1pm.

I am looking forward to meeting up with everyone!

Dave

Guess that makes it official! Getting to meet our fearless leader in person is a very nice surprise. Hope you're thirsty Dave. We all owe you - BIG TIME.

Any chance you could bring some PAFF decals along? I know I'd buy a few, and I'm sure others would as well.

H.A.

dkile wrote:
H.A. I'll have one for you on Saturday.

He was right, bring several.. If you've got spares, I'd like to purchase one, too.

Any hats left mine getting dingy

Back