Some Yakking about Yaks

Fredrick wrote:
bigjohn58 wrote:
There I think this might work

Nice set up how do you like that rock guard I was thinking of getting one for my torqeedo.

The rock guard is a MUST if you do any kind of river fishing. I did have my Torqeedo break when I was fishing in Sunbury on the river (had the rock guard on too). Torqeedo covered the repairs in full (actually replaced it with a new unit). The Torqeedo with foot steering is a complete game changer that allows for so much more fishing time and less paddling. Being able to put in and take out at one location while still covering a lot of water is a real benefit if you fish by yourself plus you can speed down through sections that aren't productive waters.

bigjohn58 wrote:
Fredrick wrote:
bigjohn58 wrote:
There I think this might work

Nice set up how do you like that rock guard I was thinking of getting one for my torqeedo.

The rock guard is a MUST if you do any kind of river fishing. I did have my Torqeedo break when I was fishing in Sunbury on the river (had the rock guard on too). Torqeedo covered the repairs in full (actually replaced it with a new unit). The Torqeedo with foot steering is a complete game changer that allows for so much more fishing time and less paddling. Being able to put in and take out at one location while still covering a lot of water is a real benefit if you fish by yourself plus you can speed down through sections that aren't productive waters.

My Mayfly doesn't have pedals and I didn't want to add any so I made a tiller handle out of a expandable painters pole works pretty good I can stand and steer the yak when prospecting new areas . I just sent my torqeedo out to get the longer shaft put on since I had the original 403 and had some other maintenance down to it should have it back by the end of the week . Looks like I will be getting the rock guard as well here soon .

Fredrick wrote:

My Mayfly doesn't have pedals and I didn't want to add any so I made a tiller handle out of a expandable painters pole works pretty good I can stand and steer the yak when prospecting new areas .

That sounds epic!

I always thought if i had the storage space available (I'm in a giant apartment complex and park in a garage) I'd prefer a canoe, but this discussion is making me think a pedal kayak is the way to go.

Anybody else here use a SUP? I use a 10' inflatable paddleboard. Typically I'm sitting on a cooler to fish, not casting while standing, though that can be done. I won't say it's better or worse than kayaks or canoes but it is a ton of fun. Talk about a clean casting platform - not a single thing to catch line on. It comes in a giant backpack for storage when deflated. This means you can hike it places and launch it far from a car.

Downsides are it does not handle wind or strong currents well at all. But for ponds and swampy tidal creeks it is awesome.

I always thought if i had the storage space available (I'm in a giant apartment complex and park in a garage) I'd prefer a canoe, but this discussion is making me think a pedal kayak is the way to go.

Find some cheap storage and get a pedal kayak. I'm going to go that route also. I'd head down your way to fish some tidal water with you.

Check out EliasV or Fishaholic on youtube. Active channels that use both fin and propeller style paddle kayaks for fishing. These are both spin fishing channels but have excellent content.

No such thing as cheap storage down here! $100/month minimum. I'll get one when I'm in a position to get a house...few years away though. Give me a shout anytime you want to fish tidal water, hope you're healing up well man.

You guys have some nice setups.
I personally like my throw and go to take to the river on short trips. I like to get out and wade fish, yak is more of a taxi to do it.

I bought a kayak probably 8 years ago or more and rarely, if ever, use it these days. It's an ascend FS12. It has been a great boat. I used it on quite a few multi day river adventures down the Juniata loaded with lots of gear. For fly-fishing I only use it to access waters for smallmouths in the winter but wade while I fish.

I'd much rather just take a walk and wade and not worry about the hassles of a kayak. Plus, I like my canoe more.

Use my Emotion Glide (low end sit in) all the time in the local lakes.
I have no complaints but the pedal drive intrigues me.
Can you stretch your legs out in those when not paddling?
I am having a harder time getting out of the sit in as I get older, so the sit on top also appeals to me.
Mine is also getting beat up on the bottom, with a leaky crack that I have fixed several times but the repair keeps failing.
Spent 1 grand on new golf clubs this year, so maybe next year for a new yak!

Couple questions for those of you with motorized (torquee or similar) yaks...

How much water do you draft?

How far upstream can you typically run in a steady, moderate current? I realize this is controlled by the current speed, just wondering if a coupe mile run up and float back to the put in/take out is possible.

Can you use the motor to check/control your drift speed? Basically I'm wondering if you have the motor and foot controls you can float down and fish an indicator rig similar to the way you do from a drift boat with the guide back rowing and controlling the speed of a drift boat.

spaints99 wrote:
Couple questions for those of you with motorized (torquee or similar) yaks...

How much water do you draft?

How far upstream can you typically run in a steady, moderate current? I realize this is controlled by the current speed, just wondering if a coupe mile run up and float back to the put in/take out is possible.

Can you use the motor to check/control your drift speed? Basically I'm wondering if you have the motor and foot controls you can float down and fish an indicator rig similar to the way you do from a drift boat with the guide back rowing and controlling the speed of a drift boat.

You can use the motor to control your drift BUT in all honesty it doesn't work that well in reverse. I use a drag chain on a retractable dog leash to control the boat speed in current. I have a anchor trolly on the side of the kayak and I can just move the drag chain to the rear of the kayak and it'll slow me down in the current so I can fish properly. It doesn't usually get hung up and just slows you down and is usually far enough behind the kayak to spook anything. As far as current and how far you can go...opt for the bigger battery. I have the 915 battery for my Torqeedo which is their largest for that motor. I originally had the smaller battery and it didn't last very long at all with current. The 915 battery in the Susquehanna I bet I could go 6 or so miles non stop in a small current (just an educated guess). I need about 2 foot of water for it to go comfortably in but when it gets shallow I just pull the cord to lift it out of the water and paddle if need be.

Here is some videos I have posted of me in my mayfly plus some other videos people have posted on Facebook if anyone is interested .
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1169399496541043/videos/

Back