Some Yakking about Yaks

afishinado

afishinado

Staff member
I've fished from a kayak for quite a while in both rivers and lakes. Up 'til now, I've fished and paddled a cheap ****'s Sporting Goods sit-in yak. It worked, but was not ideal.

This spring I sprung for a Hobie pedal drive kayak. I bought a Compass Camo 12' with a 180 drive (reverse feature with kick-up fins) and I love it. I've had it out on a few lakes and also the Susky a few times. I really like the hands-free fishing feature using the pedals and find it very maneuverable and easy to use.

Pedaling at a moderate speed is akin to walking. I have no trouble pedaling upstream and fishing down in the river with moderate current. As a matter of fact, last week I left DaveW in my wake on the river with my pedal kayak, even though Dave's a lot younger and more fit than me....sorry Dave :oops:

What I like is I often fish alone and can launch and take-out in the same place without having a buddy with another vehicle parked at the takeout downstream.

For the river, it was important to me to have fins that kick up when I inevitably hit rocks or logs. The Hobie does just that. I can also pedal very shallow with my fins just below the hull in shallow water situations and when encountering obstructions. I can pedal through 5 or 6 inches of water without any trouble.

In addition, the fins are great in weedy areas of the lake or river. The weeds tend not to tangle in the fins as they often do with a prop. I actually tried to get snagged in heavy weeds at a local lake and ended up pedaling right through them.

Also, the reverse feature is great for maneuvering and also allows me to "back row" like a drift boat, holding my position while fishing hands free. I've found I'm even able to move upstream in reverse and cast and fish the whole time.

Finally, with the Hobie Compass, I can easily remove the drive or pin the fins to the hull and paddle very easily if needed.

I plan to use my kayak a lot this season for smallies in the river as well as doing some lake fishing.

Any other Yakkers on here looking to share their experiences or show their ride?

afishinado wrote:
As a matter of fact, last week I left DaveW in my wake on the river with my pedal kayak, even though Dave's a lot younger and more fit than me....sorry Dave :oops:

Yeah, I was smoked. :)

It was a windy day and we were heading upriver into the wind. I tend to dress bulky, wearing lots of gear over my PFD - and my boat is actually a wide beam canoe - so I struggled to make distance in the headwind with my kayak paddle.

I was amazed at Afish' pedal yak as he went upstream fast and seemingly with ease. His boat seems really incredible and practical for fishing.

Here is my boat

Make: Feel Free
Model: Moken Lite
Length: 10.5ft
Weight: 55lbs
Type: SOT paddle kayak

Pros-

Light weight and stable with good maneuverability. Roomy for a 10 ft kayak. Track system with fly rod holders installed. Built in storage space and enough room for milk crate in the back.

Cons-

Terrible tracking, I get smoked by my 64 year old dad is his Ascend 12ft kayak all the time. Definitely not an open ocean kayak as it does not cut through waves very well.

All in all its been a great kayak for the susky over the past few years. I would like to upgrade to a pedal kayak soon but it will have to wait this year.

My first time out in the yak this year I slipped on a rock and broke my hand! Hoping I can still get out and catch a few bass before the season winds down.

Tom any problems with tangles on the hobie I was considering getting the outback ? And when are you coming out for snakeheads ?

When we retired back to NWPA 5 years ago, I knew I had to get some sort of vessel to take best advantage of the WW fishing bounty up this way. I mulled a bunch of different possibilities over and decided the conventional boat/trailer thing was simply too much fussing around, and as I am pretty much a lone ranger on the water, so was any sort of roof mount set-up like a small jon boat or a solid kayak. A good fishing buddy had (and recommended to me..) the NRS Pike inflatable. I got it and I’m glad I did. NRS doesn’t offer it any more (they upgraded it to something called the Star), but it looks like this: https://www.nrs.com/product/16363/nrs-pike-fishing-inflatable-kayak.
This is my 3rd year with my Pike and I take it everywhere and fish out of it for pretty much everything but trout. I fish twice as much as I did before I retired, but I only fish half as much as I used to for trout. This makes sense given where I live, etc. I use my Pike to fish for LMB (and some SMB as well) in all these lakes we have up here and for smallmouth in the larger WW streams and small rivers. Right after ice out, I use the Pike to chase spawning northerns in some of our lakes. Once a month or so, I take it down over the hill to Edinboro Lake and get a mess of crappie or sometimes perch. Petunia only eats salmon and I was getting to the point where I was likely to become violent if I ever saw another piece of salmon. I like crappie and perch though.
The Pike rolls up into a carrying bag and goes in the back of the RAV. It weighs like 47 lb. or some such. I have a 12 volt pump that takes under 5 minutes to get it ready to fish. I don’t really have a worthwhile opinion of its pros and cons. It’s the only kayak I’ve ever had and I like it and that’s about all I know.. A good wind pushes it around quite a bit, but that’s why I have an anchor. It probably wouldn’t win any kayak races; it is squat and about 39 inches in the beam. Very stable though. When I’m in it, I am reminded of the old Little Feat song “Fat Man In A Bathtub”.

I’m glad I got it. It has opened a whole new window on the fishing I grew up with all those years ago.

Fredrick wrote:
Tom any problems with tangles on the hobie I was considering getting the outback ? And when are you coming out for snakeheads ?

Fred,

Besides being a little lighter than the Outback (only 69lbs unrigged) I chose the Compass over the Outback because the Compass ****pit is more open and clear for FFing.

To answer your question, no, I have not had any tangle issues with my Compass, but I have purposely not added any accessories or doodads to get snagged in and around the ****pit.

The Outback is better equipped than my "plain Jane" Compass, with more storage and stowing places, steering on both sides and a better, more adjustable seat, but it's a little heavier also. It's a tough choice to make. Although I don't believe you would have much trouble lifting it up on your roof rack. Also the Outback is a little pricier.

I'll let you ride in my Compass to try it out.

Lots of yaks, personal watercraft, drift boats, motor boats, jet boats,pontoons,fishing pontoons,inflatables,canoes, scanoes, jet boats, air boats, belly boats. I have a whole yard full of them myself. After all my boats I bet you can't guess my favorite way to explore the rivers and creeks? Hint...it doesn't involve boats.

Yes! My kayak,an Old Town Loon 138 (13' 8") is my buddy! Purchased in 1996. A sit in. Been from the Florida Keys to Maine many trips. At 55 lbs. I can still get it on top of my Subaru. A struggle but it works! The length makes it easy to paddle upstream then fish down. As soon as Conowingo is at minimum flow I will be there. Maybe Marsh Creek or Chambers before. THe Schulykill has not been the go to river for 10 to 15 years. I would love to have pedals but it is all I can do to manage 55 lbs. without a trailer. Old guy here!

Arthritis everywhere. Can't stand in waders though I'd like to. Cant get out of a Kayak. I get in with a controlled fall. I took the easy way out.

After an operation to remove a bone in my wrist I went and bought three sheets of 3/8 ply. Fixed up an old trailer. sailed it down the river. Rows terrible. spins on a dime. very comfy. only for small lakes and running downstream.

Attachments

• IMG_3883.jpeg
    IMG_3883.jpeg
    66 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3937.jpeg
    IMG_3937.jpeg
    80.4 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4116.jpeg
    IMG_4116.jpeg
    105.9 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4184.jpeg
    IMG_4184.jpeg
    130.3 KB · Views: 3
The sit on top or fishing kyaks are something I would consider. I feel too constricted in the closed ones and the view is too low and angle to spot rising fish.Overall for many of the places I like to go a motorized square stern canoe would be good. I never had one but I have gone in a few, powered by small gas motors or electric and they are nice. You need good seats which you can add. I enjoy inflatables too because of ability to go on shallow water.

nucanoe with elec setup run upriver, down, and troll

Attachments

• DSCF9671.JPG
    DSCF9671.JPG
    268.3 KB · Views: 5
Well thank goodness there a canteen on board Sandfly;-D

As if I needed more reason to buy a pedal drive yak. You getting paid by Hobie? LOL :-D

I have a sportspal canoe, which I love, but it has some shortcomings. Wind sucks bad. Draft isn't as low as a yak.

On the plus side, it's incredibly stable to stand in even in current. I can carry 3 people. I can carry a boatload of gear. It's super light/easy to load by myself.

When I got it, my theory was that it seemed like yaks were getting more and more like canoes. Figured I'd just skip the fancy stuff and get a canoe.

The pedal drive thing though. That's something that I've been interested in for a long time, and is probably the single biggest selling point IMO.

silverfox wrote:
As if I needed more reason to buy a pedal drive yak. You getting paid by Hobie? LOL :-D

I have a sportspal canoe, which I love, but it has some shortcomings. Wind sucks bad. Draft isn't as low as a yak.

On the plus side, it's incredibly stable to stand in even in current. I can carry 3 people. I can carry a boatload of gear. It's super light/easy to load by myself.

When I got it, my theory was that it seemed like yaks were getting more and more like canoes. Figured I'd just skip the fancy stuff and get a canoe.

The pedal drive thing though. That's something that I've been interested in for a long time, and is probably the single biggest selling point IMO.

If you can get by the high price, a pedal drive kayak is the way to go for fishing.

No one boat or canoe or kayak can do it all, you may want to consider adding one to your fleet for certain places and conditions.

The 10.5 Passport is the lowest cost Hobie pedal drive here.

Tom,

Are you able to stand and cast at all in that Hobie?

Here is my kayak. I'm slowly taking the fly rod out on it more and more. It has really changed my warm water species game!

WjGa1JZ

lJkSn97

Man this site sucks for uploading photos...

There I think this might work

Attachments

• 20180714_065018_1593529182660.jpg
    20180714_065018_1593529182660.jpg
    279.5 KB · Views: 4
  • 20180714_155243.jpg
    20180714_155243.jpg
    291.4 KB · Views: 4
bigjohn58 wrote:
There I think this might work

Nice set up how do you like that rock guard I was thinking of getting one for my torqeedo.

Back