Added some pics of more recent ties.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/36479670@N04/

Little Black Stone Dry

X-caddis

Cased Peeping Caddis

Caddis Bottom Roller

Wmas,
Nice ties.
What did you use for wing material on the little black stone?

thanks.
Buffalo

Wmass

Your flies look good, really like your dry stone!

PaulG

wing looks like medallion sheeting

buffalo wrote:
Wmas,
Nice ties.
What did you use for wing material on the little black stone?

thanks.
Buffalo

Yup, SANDFLY was right on. The black stone wing is made of medallion sheeting with a couple pieces of dark dun CDC underneath. I tried this fly today but didn't get any hits on it, maybe becasue it was larger than the stones that were hatching but not sure. I will try it again soon and let you know how it works.

Maurice has a good pattern for lil black stones. Just take a dry fly hook (sz 18 works well), build a body of antron and make a wing of the same material. It's a very quick 'n dirty tye, and it may not look like much. Hold off your judgement until you grease it well and skitter it through the riffles.

Thanks for the reply guys.
I had a good day with the little black stones I tied using MICROWEB wings and thought I was about out but I found another package, it works well but doesn’t last to long.

Wmass,
I like your ties better than mine and I’m gonna’ copy them.

Sandfly,
I guess you have some medallion sheeting at your place and I need some hooks, gonna make it a point to get to your shop this spring.

Pad,
I tied some similar to what you said Maurice tied but they wanted the fly to ‘skidder’ and that tie ( at least my version) kept sinking.

Tight lines,
Buffalo.

Back