Soft hackle wet flies

• Thread starter blackandgold4ever05
  • Start date
blackandgold4ever05

blackandgold4ever05

After reading most of Dave Hughes wet fly book. I've been whipping up some soft hackles with my new Peak rotary. All are single strand floss and partridge except the 2 small red ones. They are silk and starling. The guy at my local fly shop says they are a killer on Penns. I still have more to tie but so far I have sizes 12-14-16 in yellow, green, red, and orange. I think I'd like to have 3 of each. Let me know what you think.

IMG_5115.jpg

Those dogs will certainly hunt , I like my spiders tied sparse (I usually strip one side of the feather ) and I try not to tie any of the hackle back s0 it stands more at 90 degrees ( you get better action in the water I think) and the hackle reaches back just past the bend of the hook but not much further.

Nice ties.

Nice flies. There are a lot of great sites on the net that show some of the old styles of soft hackles. You can never go wrong swinging a soft hackle.

I haven't used them yet but sure plan to this year after I've been reading about them.

I have had good success with flies like you tied. Often do well with a minimal amount of weight swimming them just below the surface.

One of my long standing "bucket list" items for fly fishing has been to catch fish swinging wets. I've tied a bunch - fished with some occassionally, but always have to revert to standard nymphs, streamers, dries etc to actually catch fish.

Perhaps 2012 will be the year!

"Let me know what you think".

I think I'm jealous. They look incredible!!!! I can't wait 'til I
graduate from scuds, worms and eggs. To tie spiders like that
must be great. Something to shoot for.

blackandgold4ever05 check you PM's.

Actually caught several steelhead this year fishing a wet fly fished on the bottom this year. Very neat seeing that little fly in the cormer of a 8# steel.

trowpa, funny you should say that, I'm the exact opposite of you. I have my most success swinging wets. It's my go to method. In fact it's so simple that its how I learned to fish as a kid and how I'm teaching my kids.

Now nymphs are a challenge for me. I can only pick up the odd fish here and there and don't even get me started on streamers-terrible.

Black and Gold,
Very nice ties. The first trout I ever caught when I started fly fishing was on a soft hackle wet fly that I learned to tie over at Sandflys shop when I taking tying lessons. It was very sparsely dubbed so that the thread color shown through when wet. the very first time I was out with my friend who was an experienced fly fisherman he saw that fly and said use that one first and see what happens. On the first cast I caught my first trout on a fly rod. I use them often and I like tying them as well.

Thanks everyone!

Those are some fine looking wets you got there. If you have not seen them for some further reading might I suggest Sylvester Nemes trilogy on wets to include:
The Soft-Hackled Fly
The Soft-Hackled Fly Addict
Soft-Hackled Fly Imitations
And if you like older patterns look at:Two Cenuries of Soft-Hackled Flies. ( w/complete original patterns 1747-present )
I might add those older flies work very well, very well indeed...

lv2nymph wrote:
Those are some fine looking wets you got there. If you have not seen them for some further reading might I suggest Sylvester Nemes trilogy on wets to include:
The Soft-Hackled Fly
The Soft-Hackled Fly Addict
Soft-Hackled Fly Imitations
And if you like older patterns look at:Two Cenuries of Soft-Hackled Flies. ( w/complete original patterns 1747-present )
I might add those older flies work very well, very well indeed...

Thanks. I actually have Nemes' book: Soft-Hackled Fly and Tiny Soft Hackles on my Amazon wish list. I'm currently reading George Daniel's Dynamic Nymphing right now. That Nemes book will probably be my next one.

I wouldn't get too caught up in the books. Get on the water and see what floats by or kick a few rocks and see what's underneath.
Then go home and tie up something like that in a soft hackle style.

Well honestly, I don't rely on books for all my flies although it's not a "bad" way to go. The sien net I use for samples is going on 20 years old the net has been changed but the poles remain the same. The looks I've gotten from people who happen upon me either in the stream bent over shifting rocks or on the bank sorting nymphs into different containers ( that one is my favorite ) has been priceless. One of my passions is reading, especially about hunting and fishing. I love being able to access decades of research time on the stream, time which I don't have a chance to devote to something I wish I could. I've really gotten some choice comments about the little aquarium net that sometimes hangs from me while fishing! But it's no matter, all in what you want out of it...

I do turn over rocks and try to learn as much as I can from more experienced fishing partners but I still learn things from books. I've never been much of a book reader because I couldn't find books that kept my interest so I just read magazines most of the time. Now that I've been into fly fishing a few years, I love reading about it. I feel that if I read a book and learn just one useful piece of info that I can apply to my fishing, it was worth it. I don't always try to do exactly what someone else has done and wrote about but I do take the ideas and try them out or tweak my own ways of doing things. The thing I love about this sport, is that is is a never ending learning experience. I honestly never want to master it and don't think it could ever be possible.

First off you tie some beautiful flies. Second I think you should have three DOZEN, not just three. (Hey suppose one day you bump into me on the stream, you might want to share a few flies, you know?) Soft hackles, tied traditionally like yours, or with a fatter dubbed body can mimmick most everything in the stream. And if you think they're good on the swing, try dead drifting them. Tied larger the can be stripped like YOY baitfish. They can be tied very small to immitate micro-caddis as well as emerging mayflies. AND they're pretty simple and quick to tie! If you haven't figured it out yet, I think Soft Hackles rock!

Technical reading is a genetic guy thing I guess and I love a good read as much as the next guy. I was happier when soft hackles were under the radar in favor of the next great thing, it just meant that those of us who always fish them had a better shot at showing the fish a new look. Tweek on fellow flympher!

I was under the impression they were not in " general " use lately cause every time on and off the stream discusions involve them I get asked "you still use them?". And I'm thinking heck yea, you don't...

Back